• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Elio Racing

Jeff Bowlsby

Elio Addict
Reaction score
If its got an engine and wheels, people are going to race it. With its low entry cost, I think the Elio has the potential to develop into a whole new class(es) of racing. Probably road racing (a curvy track or autocross), not on ovals.

So what might an Elio racing machine look like to you? Not considering an engine swap at the moment, I can imagine it might be something like this:

* A turbo
* Stiffer springs, and lowered a little
* Slicks on the front drive wheels, stock or widened fairings
* Front end spoiler (splitter)
* Gutted/lightened interior
* Removed non-essentials: A/C

Which transmission will be faster?

Ty

Elio Addict
Reaction score
If its got an engine and wheels, people are going to race it. With its low entry cost, I think the Elio has the potential to develop into a whole new class(es) of racing. Probably road racing (a curvy track or autocross), not on ovals.

So what might an Elio racing machine look like to you? Not considering an engine swap at the moment, I can imagine it might be something like this:

* A turbo
* Stiffer springs, and lowered a little
* Slicks on the front drive wheels, stock or widened fairings
* Front end spoiler (splitter)
* Gutted/lightened interior
* Removed non-essentials: A/C

Which transmission will be faster?
hub motor on that rear wheel...

SCCA could make a category of racer for the Elio. Miata's are popular in SCCA because they are fun and cheap enough for people to get into.

charchri4

Elio Addict
Reaction score
SCCA would never let an Elio on any track or autocross as a 3 wheeler. Well maybe with training wheels... My thought it so put a Miata rear sub frame under the back so have 4 wheels on the ground and try to dial it into perfect balance. I think any JCW Mini or ST Focus would kill it but it would be run to run and I have every intention of trying it.

I'm not seeing much benefit to a splitter other than visual. The car is just not going to go fast enough to trap air under it and it's already a bullet shape. My splitter really didn't make any difference under about 85 or so but by 130 and up it's a night and day difference and I don't go to the track with out it on. But that's a Miata so who knows about an Elio at this point.

Sethodine

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I was wondering if somebody might start up a company specifically to make racing Elios. Kinda like what Saleen does, except instead of selling expensive Mustangs they'd be selling $15,000 Super Elios. Or whatever price they could get away with.

The E has a lot of good things going for it, and taking advantage of a mass manufactured, inexpensive, aerodynamic and safety-tested chassis to make racing trikes just seems obvious.

charchri4

Elio Addict
Reaction score
The E has a lot of good things going for it, and taking advantage of a mass manufactured, inexpensive, aerodynamic and safety-tested chassis to make racing trikes just seems obvious.

Agreed except for the trike part. There is no way a trike would ever be stable enough to road race. When I come out of turn 4 at MAM the lateral Gs are so hard my keys stand straight out of the ignition. It would be impossible to put any significant lateral load on an Elio without it tumbling into the weeds. Even at just autocross speeds look how hard my right front tire is tucking under the car.
2udx2s0.jpg

But that's rear wheel drive. Small front wheel drive cars are always going up on 3 wheels in the corners and good drivers like the pilot of this Mini even manage it in the rain.
s7NHaXu.jpg

So in short there is no way a Elio could run around a track with out tipping over.

Sethodine

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I'll be really curious to see how the E can handle cornering like that, as I don't know if there's ever been a front-engined, front-wheel drive trike quite like it to test handling theories. It's longer, heavier, and has a different weight balance than trikes like the Can-Am or the Slingshot.

All well. It's all just talk until we have our E's to drive :)

JEBar

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
So in short there is no way a Elio could run around a track with out tipping over.

disagree .... an Elio could run any road course .... while it wouldn't be able to do so at speeds common to other four wheel racers, in an Ellio racing circuit it would be competing against other Elios .... in keeping with the economical transportation concept, a circuit structured so that participants could drive their trikes to the track, race them, and then drive them back home .... NASCAR got off to a good start following that concept

BlioKart

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I'll be really curious to see how the E can handle cornering like that, as I don't know if there's ever been a front-engined, front-wheel drive trike quite like it to test handling theories. It's longer, heavier, and has a different weight balance than trikes like the Can-Am or the Slingshot.

All well. It's all just talk until we have our E's to drive :)

Slingshot roll over but it had stability control off plus its not like Elio FWD. I am surprised no on has made a 4 wheel conversion for the slingshot

Top Bottom