• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Elio Speed

airforceguy6

Elio Addict
Reaction score
EMV? OK, I'll play along, who is EMV?
He's talking about the Electra Meccanica Vehicles (EMV) company (the Solo).
Electra-Meccanica-Solo-EV-PLACEMENT-626x382.jpg

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score
The EMV Solo and Solo Racer are the only concepts I've seen on test track videos doing systems checks, performance, handling, with official track tested timing trials. I have to see it to believe it.

Touting or sounding good simply doesn't work for me. :)

Doug McDow

Elio Addict
Reaction score
The EMV Solo and Solo Racer are the only concepts I've seen on test track videos doing systems checks, performance, handling, with official track tested timing trials. I have to see it to believe it.

Touting or sounding good simply doesn't work for me. :)
I might add, I will still wait for my Elio!:p

johnsnownw

Elio Addict
Reaction score
If the Elio can do 90mph, it's fine by me. (fastest speed limit in the USA is 85 MPH)
No point in saving gas if all my money is going to speeding tickets.

(goes speed limit in the slow lane)

I suspect it will go faster than 90, but for many people passing exceeds the speed limit by a fair margin. I have to drive on 2-lane hwys when visiting the rents...and I certainly don't want to top out at 90 when I need 95 to safely pass someone.

That said, I'd be far more concerned about how fast it would go from 65 to 90, rather than whether it can go past 90.

raptor213

Elio Addict
Reaction score
This very performance metric -- concern over highway passing capability -- is worthy of discussion.

If the Elio takes upwards of 10-12 seconds to accelerate from a stop to highway merging speed (0-60mph), that's not really a concern for the average driver who's not accelerating at a closed track in a racing setting.

More crucial would be 35-60mph acceleration times necessary for merging into freeway traffic from an on-ramp, and then once on the freeway, 60-85mph acceleration times for safely passing on the freeway.

The frequency with which these performance metrics tend to be critical in assuring exceptional safety margins during highway driving is principally why I intend on opting for the manual transmission, providing absolute control over shift points and purposeful time spent in selected gears.

Even with a manual Elio over an AMT manual, one of my concerns remains to be the budget-conscious choice to equip the Elio with a 5-speed transmission that is geared so high at the top-end that it essentially renders it a 4-speed with overdrive in terms of practical usability.

While I support and understand the commitment to core values driving this mileage- and cost-driven business decision, I truly hope that AISIN and Elio Motors have discussed and plan to offer a 6-speed transmission as an option, even if for additional cost.

Given the philosophy of offering a true manual and an AMT of the same transmission in a 5-speed flavor, a 6-speed flavor could feasibly be offered in both varieties just as easily, assuming the transmission housings mount to the IAV engine drivetrain in the same ways and still fit within physical tolerances in the space allocated in Elio's unibody frame/chassis. Then there's less technical and more industrial and business constraints, such as product offerings, assembly/production output potential, cost and complexity factors for AISIN, EM, and each of their supply bases.

Who knows how much longer it would take for engineering workgroups to decide on new gearing ratios from offering a new gear. For all I know, they might decide to offer a new high-end gear for lower RPM cruising at freeway speed to meet fuel economy targets, rather than a new low-end gear suited for better mid-range acceleration performance.

Obviously, I'd be floored just to have an underpowered and unfortunately geared Elio vehicle to legitimately complain about at this point!

Elio Amazed

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I suspect it will go faster than 90, but for many people passing exceeds the speed limit by a fair margin. I have to drive on 2-lane hwys when visiting the rents...and I certainly don't want to top out at 90 when I need 95 to safely pass someone.

That said, I'd be far more concerned about how fast it would go from 65 to 90, rather than whether it can go past 90.
Going 95 down two-lane highways. Hmmm.
That's "Safely" passing someone?

Just don't do it on the highways I drive on, thanks very much.

Top Bottom