1. Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.
  2. Hate the new look? Click Here to learn how to go back to the old one!

Elio Stabilty On Highway,wind, Steep Grades, And At70mph.?

Discussion in 'Forum Rules, Site Suggestions, & Help' started by Jackbow, Mar 4, 2016.

1. BilgeRat

BilgeRat Elio Addict

Road slush will build up on my Honda just up to the point where the tire won't let any more accumulate. Based on this and all the other cars I've owned over a lifetime of driving in The Great White North, I just don't see it being much of an issue. My guess would be that a couple of whaps with your gloved fist would take care of most of it. NSTG8R, never knew about that stuff. I'll give it a try next winter.

acamara, Bert, Coss and 4 others like this.
  2. Marshall

Marshall Elio Addict

My limited experience with it mirrors yours. But steering was affected after the buildup in the wheel well in a traditional vehicle. Perhaps it would actually be better with the open access to the components.

acamara, Bert, RUCRAYZE and 1 other person like this.
  3. BilgeRat

BilgeRat Elio Addict

Interesting! I've never had a problem with steering interference, the tire just ground it away. To what degree was your steering compromised? I am going to try the NeverWet inside the wheel wells this winter.

acamara likes this.
  4. Marshall

Marshall Elio Addict

It usually knocked itself away over time, but if I came home in a wet snow that packed the wheel area and then it froze overnight, the turning was affected until friction with the tires melted it away. Tricky if you have multiple vehicles in a small area to maneuver around before you can get the car up to a speed fast enough to melt the pack.

acamara and BilgeRat like this.
  5. slinches

slinches Elio Addict

The wheel covers on the Elio turn with the wheels themselves, so any ice build-up should not interfere any more in turns than in a straight line. And if you're getting enough snow spray to build up on the suspension/steering linkages, you already have bigger problems (like following someone way too close for the speeds and conditions).

acamara, Marshall and NSTG8R like this.
  6. JEBar

JEBar Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Michael S, acamara, Rickb and 2 others like this.
  7. ehwatt

ehwatt Elio Addict

acamara, Coss and RUCRAYZE like this.
  8. Bert

Bert Elio Addict

Just a guess here, but the fenders on the Elio move with the tires, including the bouncing up and down as you go down the road. I'd think this will help knock off some of the build up. I also plan to buy the P3 fenders for Winter if they're available.

acamara, Kuda, Rickb and 2 others like this.
  9. Rickb

Rickb Elio Addict

You might consider hitting your Elio with a gloved open hand.

Ty and Maurtis like this.
  10. Ty

Ty Elio Addict

I suppose if you drove in the slush and it built up in the fender a lot, you could have trouble if you stopped and it refroze. I would walk around my truck on "slush" days after a drive and slap all the fenders and then giving each tire a quick brush off to knock the slush off. Sometimes, I'd go out and I'd have icesicles connecting my truck to the ground but it was never an issue nor was freezing under the fenders.

Hey, neat trick: I put a "MyHeat" 100 Watt heater in my truck on the center console at nights when the temperature would get near/below freezing. I'd run the cord right out the door and to an extension cord. I know... heaters and extension cords are a bad combo but we are talking about a heater that blew out heat like a slow exhale. Anyway, I haven't had to scrape a window in 5 years... Not talking about wiping off snow... just scraping ice off. That's 2 years in Albuquerque, NM and 3 years at Minot, ND. Yeah, it gets really cold there. Anyway, if that worked on a big F-350, guess whose Elio will get the same treatment if garage space isn't available. That's right. This guy.

acamara likes this.