• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Elio Stabilty On Highway,wind, Steep Grades, And At70mph.?

Muzhik

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Hey, neat trick: I put a "MyHeat" 100 Watt heater in my truck on the center console at nights when the temperature would get near/below freezing. I'd run the cord right out the door and to an extension cord. I know... heaters and extension cords are a bad combo but we are talking about a heater that blew out heat like a slow exhale. Anyway, I haven't had to scrape a window in 5 years... Not talking about wiping off snow... just scraping ice off. That's 2 years in Albuquerque, NM and 3 years at Minot, ND. Yeah, it gets really cold there. Anyway, if that worked on a big F-350, guess whose Elio will get the same treatment if garage space isn't available. That's right. This guy.
Reminds me of a trick Model T owners did sometimes. On cold nights, they would set a small oil lamp under the engine block. It would be a small flame but it provided enough heat and kept the block warm enough that you could turn the engine over the next morning.

Provided, of course, the engine didn't catch fire. But that almost NEVER happened. Really.

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
I have a place for my Elio in the heated shop (aka garage); if it gets really cold, I might kick the heat up a degree or 2 more to balance out the areas of less insulation like the garage door. It always stays at least 60 in there. :becky:

Muzhik

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Getting really excited to see some video's of the road tests. Teaser Video.
Yeah, well, that's a British car on a British show.

I was shocked that he never put a helmet on, even after the almost tilting over shown above. In the Elio's defense, the tires on the Elio are ***just*** a little wider than the tires (or is it "tyres"?) on the Morgan. This has got to provide a little more stability than the ones shown above. Also, as they noted, the engine is mounted ahead of the front axle. That's going to throw the whole center-of-gravity thingy off.

This just proves what Yeats wrote almost a century ago:

Things fall apart; the centre (of gravity) cannot hold;
Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world,
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.
(Hear that, naysayers?)

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
Yeah, well, that's a British car on a British show.

I was shocked that he never put a helmet on, even after the almost tilting over shown above. In the Elio's defense, the tires on the Elio are ***just*** a little wider than the tires (or is it "tyres"?) on the Morgan. This has got to provide a little more stability than the ones shown above. Also, as they noted, the engine is mounted ahead of the front axle. That's going to throw the whole center-of-gravity thingy off.

This just proves what Yeats wrote almost a century ago:

Things fall apart; the centre (of gravity) cannot hold;
Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world,
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.
(Hear that, naysayers?)
Include that the person driving has no idea how to throttle steer; the last 2 he drove should have been doing donuts like a bakery; he kept throttling back so it could catch traction, rather than foot to the floor and smoking.

Folks

Elio Addict
Reaction score
The only Obvious design concern to me is the open wheels in icey road conditions. I can't see how there would not be problem with ice formation on the open elements of the front wheels. Perhaps someone can share their experience with trikes in these conditions.

Of course this condition only exists about one a decade where I live.
Good point. Kind of like the wings icing up on airplanes.

Top Bottom