• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Elio Survey - Tranmissions

Elio Amazed

Elio Addict
Reaction score
When I decided that I wanted to buy a Metro, I test drove an automatic with only 36,000 miles on it.
I pulled out of the car lot with a Semi coming about a half mile down the road.

It was all I could do to floor that stupid thing and get it up to 40mph before the truck was up my tush.

The MTs that I ended up owning would get up and go because I could wind them out.

I'll never own a 55HP 3-cylinder with an AT. Pedal-less AMT at a reasonable cost sure. AT... hell NO.

Again, we're losing sight of the price point appeal of this vehicle for the financially and shifter challenged.

Last edited:

Frim

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I probably missed something along the way.

Is all of this in reference to a true automatic with hydraulic fluid and torque converter or an automated manual?

If it's MT -vs- AMT I can see the anger and foaming at the mouth at the $1500
If it's MT -vs- AT it's actually not that unreasonable.

I can see Elio making a true automatic an option. It would make sense for the typical driver.

The AMT is just a awkward piece of equipment for the non-techie driver.
I agree.

W. WIllie

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Isn't the trans the same as the YARIS. (MC-5)
Go test drive a Yaris and just evaluate the trans, not the vehicle. Don't know the specs HP/WEIGHT of the Yaris.
I would like to know the ratios.(trans)

RUCRAYZE

Elio Addict
Reaction score
The pertinent question is which AT and what price. Otherwise, it's buying a pig in a poke. I might consider a true automatic at $1050 and not even consider an AMT at that same price. If I asked how much you are willing to spend, the first question is, "for what?"

My second question is whether I can avoid delivery charges if I pick it up at the factory?

Yes! I'm CHEAP. As a matter of fact, after careful consideration of every option. I think I'll stick to the base model.
answer- you cannot avoid the delivery charge. It was explained (not by me) awhile back, that the shipping Co, has to charge the same price in the lower 48, to cover all distances. Included was the example of picking up and watching your 'vette being built.

WilliamH

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Isn't the trans the same as the YARIS. (MC-5)
Go test drive a Yaris and just evaluate the trans, not the vehicle. Don't know the specs HP/WEIGHT of the Yaris.
I would like to know the ratios.(trans)

IIRC when we had the big discussion on transmissions someone went to a dealer to do a test drive and we found that Yaris had switched transmissions so that person couldn't try the MC5. I think it was still being used overseas, but not in the US.

RUCRAYZE

Elio Addict
Reaction score
XL:XLI, Riots in the streets, new for me, but an annual thing May 1st here in Seattle!! I'm not sure what they were protesting - no May Pole??- Sounds like Halloween in Detroit, without the fires.
stay safe, Seattle is quiet now.

Adamant

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I was offered at $1500, $1200, $1000. Turned them all down saying I preferred manual.

Millennial Anti-Theft Device.

More like, its a budget car. Keeping it budget.

Besides, performs better...

-sterling

PE says the Auto will get the best gas mileage of the two so that's what I'm going for.

Hopefully by the time it releases they can get the price of the Auto down as low as reasonably possible.

Adamant

Elio Addict
Reaction score
When I decided that I wanted to buy a Metro, I test drove an automatic with only 36,000 miles on it.
I pulled out of the car lot with a Semi coming about a half mile down the road.

It was all I could do to floor that stupid thing and get it up to 40mph before the truck was up my tush.

The MTs that I ended up owning would get up and go because I could wind them out.

I'll never own a 55HP 3-cylinder with an AT. Pedal-less AMT at a reasonable cost sure. AT... hell NO.

Again, we're losing sight of the price point appeal of this vehicle for the financially and shifter challenged.

You really think the Elio will be that gutless? 0-60 in 10 seconds flat (Elio) is not horrible. My current Automatic 4 banger does almost exactly that and it has enough get-up-and-go to keep me out of danger in traffic. Of course, I've driven a V6 that was much nicer in the get-up-and-go department, but if the Elio achieves what PE says it will, I don't think it will be as sluggish and useless as the Metro.

Marshall

Elio Addict
Reaction score
XL:XLI, Riots in the streets, new for me, but an annual thing May 1st here in Seattle!! I'm not sure what they were protesting - no May Pole??- Sounds like Halloween in Detroit, without the fires.
stay safe, Seattle is quiet now.
It's a communist Holy Day. Rioting is required.

Top Bottom