• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Em's New Motor + A Supercharger Turbo Combination.

Proud to be

Elio Addict
Reaction score
A turbo option should be good enough. Riccardo has the Hyboost system that would be interesting but as a future build.
When I saw the story about the Riccardo... Hyboost turbo system on Jay Leno's car show, which stated that you could almost double the mpg of any turbo boosted car by using this system, and they were going to have a DIY kit as a add-on, which would cost less then $1,100....

I asked the Elio Team if it was possible to use this Hyboost turbo system in the Elio... add that $1,100 to my bill.... I'll take one!!...

Who could pass up a three wheel Autocycle which could get 150-160 mpg using this turbo Hyboost system... even if they used a smaller turbo boost engine to get the 150-160 mpg it would be Great!!

The Elio Team, replied that they would pass the information about the Hyboost system on to the proper people... and they also stated that there was going to be a turbo engine listed as a option, for those who did not care about the mpg...

I would love to get an Elio using the Hyboost turbo system... 150-160 miles per gallon!!! ... you could go over 1200 miles on one tank of fuel... I would think sales of Elio Motors Autocycles world wide would go over the top...

Proud to be... an Elio owner... #2225... 3rd quarter 2015

Jim H

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I first saw this one 6 to 8 years ago. Several models...down to 1liter range:

Based on the video Hyboost would have to design/modify a system specifically for the Elio. It would take a pretty big market to make to worthwhile for them. For me I'm happy with 106 mph and doubt I will ever test my abilities to drive my Elio at that speed.

Avards

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score
As these posts about engine performance enhancements for the Elio continue to appear, my mind returns to the mid-1960s when Chrysler sold some K-cars equipped with rather high boost turbos on them. Chrysler didn't really do much for the front suspension and steering components of the vehicles. When the boost hit, the torque would all but rip the steering wheel out of your hands. As the cars got a little age on them the CV joints and suspension systems failed.

All this is said not to fu-fu the idea, but to remind that if big boosts in power are contemplated, please remember to look for and correct the potential points of failure in other effected systems.

wr

CheeseheadEarl

Elio Addict
Reaction score
When I saw the story about the Riccardo... Hyboost turbo system on Jay Leno's car show, which stated that you could almost double the mpg of any turbo boosted car by using this system, and they were going to have a DIY kit as a add-on, which would cost less then $1,100....

I asked the Elio Team if it was possible to use this Hyboost turbo system in the Elio... add that $1,100 to my bill.... I'll take one!!...

Who could pass up a three wheel Autocycle which could get 150-160 mpg using this turbo Hyboost system... even if they used a smaller turbo boost engine to get the 150-160 mpg it would be Great!!

The Elio Team, replied that they would pass the information about the Hyboost system on to the proper people... and they also stated that there was going to be a turbo engine listed as a option, for those who did not care about the mpg...

I would love to get an Elio using the Hyboost turbo system... 150-160 miles per gallon!!! ... you could go over 1200 miles on one tank of fuel... I would think sales of Elio Motors Autocycles world wide would go over the top...

Proud to be... an Elio owner... #2225... 3rd quarter 2015

Don't get your hopes up on the mileage. That claim is based on an already turbo'd motor.

Plus, like the diesel guys learn, you can turn up power and get more efficient, but most often the right foot plays with that power too much and mileage goes down.

Folks

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Don't get your hopes up on the mileage. That claim is based on an already turbo'd motor.

Plus, like the diesel guys learn, you can turn up power and get more efficient, but most often the right foot plays with that power too much and mileage goes down.
Yes and Just as "Awards" said over engineering engines plays havoc with the rest of the associative vehicle structures. Over powering engines converts your beautiful Elio into scrap. It's like high blood pressure and too much stress makes you old before your time lol.

outsydthebox

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Yes and Just as "Awards" said over engineering engines plays havoc with the rest of the associative vehicle structures. Over powering engines converts your beautiful Elio into scrap. It's like high blood pressure and too much stress makes you old before your time lol.

You guys, well said. But there will be those who see this as an inexpensive platform to "soup up". And I will be happy to sit back and "watch" them. :cool:

Top Bottom