• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Energy Department Revives Fuel-efficient Vehicle Loan Program - March 26, 2015 - Wsj.com

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I like car dealerships and service centers. I have no mechanical skills so I prefer to buy from a dealer that is able to provide me with good service and quality parts after the sale. I've always haggled a better price. I did buy from an out of state dealer saving $4K on the same car at my local dealer that advertised 'one low price' for all our loyal customers.

Car dealerships add value to the local economy, pay taxes and provide jobs. The Mall Botique Sales Showrooms used by the direct to consumer sales model provide little benefit to the community and is the fixed one price for all really a fair price?
With that said the $6800 Elio seems a bargain if it makes it to an Elio Store in your neck of the woods, along with that PepBoys Service Center nearest you.

Ty

Elio Addict
Reaction score
All car dealers have competition . Amongst themselves and also with competing brands . Their profit margins are extremely small and rely on extemporaneous sales of options and trade-ins . It's ironic how folks love Apple and hate car dealers . One is gouging your eyes out and one barely keeping the lights on . Guess which one :rolleyes:
Oh... Hmmm... toss up... Who pays for those huge dealership lots, fancy buildings, and plaid suits? :rolleyes:

Ty

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Your statements do not coincide with my personal 40 year experiences . When shopping for a specific new car , like most people , I will also shop for the best price. If there is collusion amongst the dealerships , how is it possible to glean $1000-$1500 variations in price? As we live in a robust information age , I suggest you research dealer invoice prices listed vs actual sales. Often , dealers will sell at or below dealer invoice depending on variables at the dealership. Variables like Low monthly sales volume, model incentives or bloated inventory all factor in. It's easy to chortle about other's profit , but I assure you that car dealerships work on relatively short margins compared to most other businesses .
Used cars typically earn 3-5x the profit margin of new cars .
"Below dealer cost" has always made me laugh.

I'll be a hotdog manufacturer and sell you hotdogs for $15 each. You advertise them as being $20 but "on sale" "Below dealer cost". I'll pay you an incentive of $10 for each hotdog you sell (So now they only really cost you $5 each). You can sell them to your customer for $10 which is under dealer cost.
1. Customers will be duped into buying a $1 hotdog for $10 and think they "pulled one over" on the dealer because they got it for $10 under the asking price of $20.
2. You will be paying $5 per hotdog that you sell for $10 (not the "dealer cost" of $20)
3. I will be selling $1 hotdogs for $15 but then reimbursing you $10 so I'll net $5.
4. Everyone will be happy thinking they "got on over" on the other guy.
5. I'll pocket my profit and go to the Bahamas.

It's like in Vegas.... Those fancy buildings didn't pay for themselves.

John Painter

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Don't know. Is the OBD2 fully compliant with all standards? Does it require greasing? How about front end work?
Lots of I don't know issues. Wonder if service information is included? Will t require special tools?
So far there has been nothing I've seen of any Elio drawings, or Elio Motors comments that suggests the vehicle would be challenging to work on for someone with reasonably good mechanical skills. I believe Elio Motors said it will be at least partially ODBll compliant, regardless despite the looks, the vehicle is using mostly off the shelf parts. Right?

WilliamH

Elio Addict
Reaction score
So far there has been nothing I've seen of any Elio drawings, or Elio Motors comments that suggests the vehicle would be challenging to work on for someone with reasonably good mechanical skills. I believe Elio Motors said it will be at least partially ODBll compliant, regardless despite the looks, the vehicle is using mostly off the shelf parts. Right?

Anything Elio has said publicly indicates that many people with no disabilities should probably be able to work on it.
As I said, don't know if any "routine" maintenance would be difficult. Don't know if any special tools would be required.

Johnapool

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I think whether you can repair your Elio is dependent upon your expertise and persistence. I used to do almost all my own work, but....two things keep me from that today. These new cars, even a "simple" one, have lots of things that are NOT simple for a shade-tree mechanic. I was trained back in the 60's by Ma Bell to be a technician, and can read descriptions and prints, and I was great at the old rigs with points, plugs, adjustable valves, wheel bearings, u-joints, etc. The newer vehicles are a bit complicated for me.
The other is that I would rather have someone else do those things for me. I don't even change my own oil now. I get the oil I want, the filter I want, and Tony down at the tire shop changes it for me.
The thing that kinda hurts with the new rigs is what it can cost for relatively minor repair done at a dealership

Top Bottom