• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Ev – Hybrid – Elio?

Made in USA

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Problem with the Elio being changed to either a hybrid or full electric is that first the cost would go up. My guess would be $5000.00. That would make the payback in gas savings much longer to pay for itself. To really make the Elio electric, in a proper way, would require a complete redesign. Sure, it could have features shared with the current prototypes, like the narrow width, three wheels, etc., but the best place for batteries would be in the back or under the floorboards. Also, the engine is serving as a safety device, providing a crumple zone and directing crash forced downward. An electric powertrain would need to also provide some protection.

RSchneider

Elio Addict
Reaction score
A decade ago, the Elio was positioned as a plus one vehicle. Today, if you own(ed) an EV or hybrid, could an Elio still fit in?
Ever since i bought that i3, I'm wondering if an Elio would fit in. It's my "and" car and when I need to got 400 miles to a job, I take my regular car. When I need to go 50 miles, I take the i3. Pretty much, 90% of what I need to do works with the i3. It's cheaper to operate than an Elio. Since just about everyone else here goes 300-400 miles to work all of the time, the Elio would be the best choice. I'm lucky I don't have to do that. Until the Tesla E comes out for $7500 and has a 600+ mile range, the Elio is the only choice people have right now.

TexasTesla

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Until the Tesla E comes out for $7500 and has a 600+ mile range, the Elio is the only choice people have right now.

Elio is really not a valid transportation choice...it’s more like an untested theory...

Until Elio completes the design and engineering of the Elio vehicle...and actually builds a product... it’s just a unicorn...

Grumpy Cat

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Elio is really not a valid transportation choice...it’s more like an untested theory...

Until Elio completes the design and engineering of the Elio vehicle...and actually builds a product... it’s just a unicorn...
There is not a big enough facepalm for this statement. How exactly is the Elio not a valid transportation choice?

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Ever since i bought that i3, I'm wondering if an Elio would fit in. It's my "and" car and when I need to got 400 miles to a job, I take my regular car. When I need to go 50 miles, I take the i3. Pretty much, 90% of what I need to do works with the i3. It's cheaper to operate than an Elio. Since just about everyone else here goes 300-400 miles to work all of the time, the Elio would be the best choice. I'm lucky I don't have to do that. Until the Tesla E comes out for $7500 and has a 600+ mile range, the Elio is the only choice people have right now.
Perhaps your only choice. There are other “and” auto/auto-cycle choices out there if they meet your needs/wants. I’d choose the longer range Tesla Model 3 as my “and” car over your “and” i3. Nice to have personal choices.

Last edited:

RSchneider

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Perhaps your only choice. There are other “and” auto/auto-cycle choices out there if they meet your needs/wants. I’d choose the longer range Tesla Model 3 as my “and” car over your “and” i3. Nice to have personal choices.
The Model 3 was not available and it's way more expensive over my i3. Then Tesla makes a $10K Model 3, then I'll buy it. Best part is, I can use the i3, 365 days a year where I live and if it took a complete dump, there's a BMW dealer that can fix it. That's something that only the Polaris autocycle can do.

Top Bottom