• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Exhaust Sound

harlan stephens

Elio Addict
Reaction score
A cb750 was my very first hot rod project as a kid.
I messed that bike up pretty bad and learned the hard way..lol
Went after top end hp....on the open road on a good day it was crazy fast. In traffic it was a hand full...hard to start. Ran like a peaky two stroke. Had to keep the rpms up.and had drum breaks.
Every motor build after than one was built for low end torque. And hp off idle and up. any motor build that went down a public street anyway.
Suppose what a learned was a street machine does not operate at redline but a few select times when I am being stupid.
I love being the fastest guy up to the speed limit. Or stoplight to stoplight.
I dont need to go 200mph....lol

wheaters

Elio Addict
Reaction score
My CB750 is a Japanese home market version, with a very quiet twin silencer system. It's the only bike I've ever owned where I can hear tyre noise! I think the noisiest thing on it is the quiet "clonk" of the gear change. Having had old BSAs running high compression (12.5 to one in one case) on a straight through pipe and reverse cone megaphone, I'm grateful that it's so quiet. Far more enjoyable to ride than a noisy bike.

Dusty921

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Try riding one for any length of time versus a quieter bike and see how you feel after 8 hrs or so in the saddle. Sound and vibration are exhausting. Nevertheless different strokes for different folks. Some like it loud and obnoxious, others like it quiet and serene.

8 hours in the saddle is totally out of the question when you get to my age, hell my attention span gets exhausting at about the 5 minute mark. ;):):D:rolleyes:

Dusty921

Elio Addict
Reaction score
My CB750 is a Japanese home market version, with a very quiet twin silencer system. It's the only bike I've ever owned where I can hear tyre noise! I think the noisiest thing on it is the quiet "clonk" of the gear change. Having had old BSAs running high compression (12.5 to one in one case) on a straight through pipe and reverse cone megaphone, I'm grateful that it's so quiet. Far more enjoyable to ride than a noisy bike.

Regrettably, my sandcast '69 750 has made her voyage back to Japan. Honda has her now and I understand she will be returned to her former glory and will rest peacefully in their museum. I will miss her!

grampi

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Fun fact: The pistons in the Harley-Davidson TC103 engine are larger in diameter than those in the LT1 and LT4 engines used in the C7 Corvette.

103 cubic inches = 1690 cubic centimeters, or almost 2 Elio engines. THAT is how they can be loud.

I've been told the pistons in my Suzuki M109R are bigger than those in a Chevy 454...those TC103 pistons are cute!

Dusty921

Elio Addict
Reaction score
You've obviously never heard a V-Max with aftermarket pipes...they sound like a top fuel funny car...to me loud Harleys sound like a tractor with straight pipes...

Grampi,
1. FYI, a tractor only has one pipe, so it would have to be two tractors. :D
2. I've heard a VMax, sounds more like a fart in a stove pipe, IMHO :p
3. Talk to me when Yamaha or Suzuki has been around for 112 years. :)
4. Last but not least, I'm not terribly impressed with racers that can only do something for ten seconds at a time! ;)

Boy this ought to sufficiently stir the pot on many levels. :D:D:D:D:D

CheeseheadEarl

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Generalizing can get ya in trouble, Dusty.

8e569504e916dfc540a07ef86d0e2675.jpg

Top Bottom