• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Exhaust System

AriLea

Elio Addict
Reaction score
This is a good question, I guess it depends just how close the exhaust is to the tire. I know exhausts are commonly routed fairly close to rear tires and/or spare tires without issue so I am guessing automotive engineers already know how close is too close.

I am wondering why the exhaust crosses from the right side to the left. Did they have clearance issues with the swingarm or was it something else?
I'm pretty sure the issue is access to the rear wheel. Owners must have clear access to fix a flat.

Bert

Elio Addict
Reaction score
This is a good question, I guess it depends just how close the exhaust is to the tire. I know exhausts are commonly routed fairly close to rear tires and/or spare tires without issue so I am guessing automotive engineers already know how close is too close.

I am wondering why the exhaust crosses from the right side to the left. Did they have clearance issues with the swingarm or was it something else?

I"m thinking what we see on the image is the way it is, so we can more "clearly" see it dumping out the back, but not from the left side. IMO.

The exhaust does go under the oil pan on the left side, then routes to the right side before extending toward the rear. There is no reasonable explanation to route it to the left side again, unless it is a dual exaust exit. (higher costs). Plus, too many bends in he exhaust is counter productive to the air flow of the exhaust. (exhaust pressure has its use, but not too much, and not really with a smaller engine..)

I have no concerns for the exhaust routing under where you put in gas. Gas cannot fall directly onto the exhaust, and the exit part of the exhaust system is considerabbly cooler than the converter. A lot of People would be shocked to see how close the filler pipe is to their exhaust systems anyway!
Again, IMO.

NSTG8R

Elio Addict
Reaction score

My guess, by looking at the pic, is that the shock/spring set-up is on the other side. Again, just a guess.

skygazer6033

Elio Addict
Reaction score
The right side of the rear wheel is pretty busy already with that massive swingarm, brake and coilover unit. If the muffler is high enough and far enough outboard to allow for easy tire change then l for one like the crossover to the left. Having the exhaust end in a small muffler just forward of the gas tank as in the P4 screams "kit car". Just not professional.

Bert

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Sorry guys, I still think whoever did the graphic took liberties in order to better show us a part of the exhaust system.

Until I've clearly heard otherwise, I believe the exhaust will dump out the right rear area.

Unless of course, the entire exhaust system stay under the left side of the vehicle, instead of crossing over to begin with. Hmm..

goofyone

Staff member
Reaction score
Sorry guys, I still think whoever did the graphic took liberties in order to better show us a part of the exhaust system.

Until I've clearly heard otherwise, I believe the exhaust will dump out the right rear area.

Unless of course, the entire exhaust system stay under the left side of the vehicle, instead of crossing over to begin with. Hmm..

If you look closely you can see where the green exhaust is routed and crosses from the right side to the left side between the fuel tank and rear wheel so this is not simply someone drawing the muffler on the wrong side for show but instead a complete system drawing. To make this easier to see I have a larger image available on my google drive as the forum software wants to shrink it:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bxh8JmkBAL7wbXVPU1VLQnlfU00/view?usp=sharing

Last edited:
Top Bottom