• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Exhaust System

Bert

Elio Addict
Reaction score
If you look closely you can see where the green exhaust is routed and crosses from the right side to the left side between the fuel tank and rear wheel so this is not simply someone drawing the muffler on the wrong side for show but instead a complete system drawing. To make this easier to see I have a larger image available on my google drive as the forum software wants to shrink it:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bxh8JmkBAL7wbXVPU1VLQnlfU00/view?usp=sharing

I do see it, and understand what you're saying. My thought process is, why??? More pipe, more bends, as well as related costs. There's enough room on the right side to allow for a muffler and outlet! Having to remove part of the exhaust system in order to remove the tire, do brakes, replace the rear coil over system, just doesn't add up for me!

IMO, it is counter productive to the "keep it simple" solutions Paul Elio has stated publically.

goofyone

Staff member
Reaction score
I do see it, and understand what you're saying. My thought process is, why??? More pipe, more bends, as well as related costs. There's enough room on the right side to allow for a muffler and outlet! Having to remove part of the exhaust system in order to remove the tire, do brakes, replace the rear coil over system, just doesn't add up for me!

IMO, it is counter productive to the "keep it simple" solutions Paul Elio has stated publically.

Taking a look at the P4 rear end makes it obvious that there would almost certainty be clearance issues on the right side between the swingarm and shock moving in this area and the muffler. As it is drawn the packaging is going to be very tight on the left as well however with the wheel centered there should be just enough clearance for the muffler to sit on the left in the same area the swingarm and shock take up on the right.

14-dsc08061.jpg

My guess is that EM is counting on the real wheeling dropping just low enough to be serviced when the vehicle is jacked up. Packaging is tight everywhere in such a compact vehicle and my guess is that this is the KISS (keep it simple, stupid) solution that balances cost versus getting the job done.

Last edited:

Bert

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I would suggest then, they route the exhaust under the left side of it. Two sharp bends in the exhaust mellows the sound well enough, allowing a less restrictive, or sized, muffler. Four sharp bends is too restrictive, causing a lot of back pressure, unless the pipe diameter is a lot larger than I anticipate it to be.
Dipping an exhaust system under the rear swingarm will make "it" the lowest part under the rear section.

The left side routing will save around 4 ft of pipe @ approximately 3 dollars per ft.

How depressing for me. The first "waitaminute" moment for me and my Elio..

CheeseheadEarl

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Taking a look at the P4 rear end makes it obvious that there would almost certainty be clearance issues on the right side between the swingarm and shock moving in this area and the muffler. As it is drawn the packaging is going to be very tight on the left as well however with the wheel centered there should be just enough clearance for the muffler to sit on the left in the same area the swingarm and shock take up on the right.

14-dsc08061.jpg

My guess is that EM is counting on the real wheeling dropping just low enough to be serviced when the vehicle is jacked up. Packaging is tight everywhere in such a compact vehicle and my guess is that this is the KISS solution that balances cost versus getting the job done.
KISS? Lower shock mount bolt same size as lug nuts, drop swingarm and plenty of room for wheel tire brake etc service.

Exhaust can go wherever it wants. Mine won't be on long.

Smitty901

Elio Addict
Reaction score
There is no reason the exhaust can't run short out the side near the front or mid way. The ELIO engine is small engine. The volume of exhaust will be small. Also long runs of an exhaust system created other problems. It the exhaust cools to much as it flows the performance of the engine is effected.
While not a good idea for the street you do see wrapped exhaust systems on motorcycles to increase exhaust temps . Faster flow increase top end HP.

Last edited:

Gas-Powered Awesome

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Meh, doesn't matter. First thing I'm going to do is cut it off and make a dump pipe exit the right side. :cool:
The place to do it will be where it appears to turn left to cross over just behind the gas tank.
That will put the dump pipe right in front of the wheel on the right side. Perfect! :D

Top Bottom