• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Exterior Body Options

goofyone

Staff member
Reaction score
Something I have been thinking about is whether a traditional belly pan would be very effective in the Elio due to its center rear wheel configuration. The question is will we see a benefit from smooth airflow under the car only to have the air run straight into the rear tire which will create drag.
I would think to be effective in reducing drag the belly pan would have to be modified to channel air away and/or around the rear tire. Of course anytime you talk about changing the direction of air you will create some drag as the air will have to run into an element to change direction and then that redirected air has to be released around the car which would create some turbulence which also creates drag.
All this leaves me wondering if there is much of a net benefit to a belly pan on the Elio. Of course all this can, and likely has been, simulated so I am sure Elio Motors knows the answer.

Dustoff

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Something I have been thinking about is whether a traditional belly pan would be very effective in the Elio due to its center rear wheel configuration. The question is will we see a benefit from smooth airflow under the car only to have the air run straight into the rear tire which will create drag.
I would think to be effective in reducing drag the belly pan would have to be modified to channel air away and/or around the rear tire. Of course anytime you talk about changing the direction of air you will create some drag as the air will have to run into an element to change direction and then that redirected air has to be released around the car which would create some turbulence which also creates drag.
All this leaves me wondering if there is much of a net benefit to a belly pan on the Elio. Of course all this can, and likely has been, simulated so I am sure Elio Motors knows the answer.
I'm sure they are trying to make it as aerodynamic as possible to achieve the 85mpg hwy rating. The wind tunnel testing will be the final factor.

goofyone

Staff member
Reaction score
I'm sure they are trying to make it as aerodynamic as possible to achieve the 85mpg hwy rating. The wind tunnel testing will be the final factor.

I have no doubt that testing will be the final decider.
I was merely pointing out some hypothetical reasons why a belly pan may not be included in this vehicle even if they are helpful for standard four wheel vehicles.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

H2odog

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I believe if they are intent on achieving 84 mpg a belly pan is needed. these days of improved aerodynamics the most drag on vehicles such as the elio is underneath. using the right material the weight would be small and given in a prior presentation EM stated the cost of the body panels was @ $225 a belly pan shouldn't be very expensive. worth the cost.
If the belly pan were to be made of the same material as the body, would there be a problem of possible melting due to heat from a catalytic converter and or muffler?

ST13Fred

Elio Addict
Reaction score
My Insight has plastic panels from nose to tail on the under body. To change oil I remove 10 plastic fasteners and approx 20" x 20" panel to get at the oil plug.
My guess is Elio would have aero panels on his /her under body.

H2odog

Elio Addict
Reaction score
My Insight has plastic panels from nose to tail on the under body. To change oil I remove 10 plastic fasteners and approx 20" x 20" panel to get at the oil plug.
Any thoughts on heat from the manifold/exhaust/catalytic converter/muffler?

Zipper

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I use a Pela 2000 Oil Extractor. Haven't touched an oil plug in years. Highly recommended.

Dallas

Elio Fan
Reaction score
I am wondering how the bottom of Elio will be built? On the EV car leaf the underbody is sealed with one smooth piece. This keeps wind drag to a minimum. And we all want the Elio to have the best airodymic body as possible. Any more ideas to get the best airodymics as possible out there?
Dallas

Moderator Comment: Merged into existing thread on this topic

Last edited by a moderator:

goofyone

Staff member
Reaction score
I am wondering how the bottom of Elio will be built? On the EV car leaf the underbody is sealed with one smooth piece. This keeps wind drag to a minimum. And we all want the Elio to have the best airodymic body as possible. Any more ideas to get the best airodymics as possible out there?
Dallas

This is a good question. It has been asked here before yet I don't think we have gotten a clear answer on it yet. One of our moderators will be seeing the Elio tomorrow and I have added it to the list of the questions he has for them to see if we can get a good answer.

Lil4X

Elio Addict
Reaction score
My '72 Opel had a partial belly pan extending from the lower lip of the front section of the body to just aft of the rearmost joint of the lower wishbone. That enclosed the engine compartment from radiator to a out halfway down the fore and aft mounted block. The pan was a single steel stamping with three or four longitudinal strakes stamped into it for strength.

The oil filter was accessible through a hole slightly larger than the filter, with a rolled lip that protected against injuring yourself while performing maintenance The oil drain plug was on the rear of the sump, clear of the belly pan.

Opel explained it this way: Their wind tunnel testing indicated most of the aero effects came from that short pan . . . while not interfering with steering, suspension or cooling. While maybe not quite as slick as a full-length pan, it avoided most of the problems. It was finished in dark grey so it virtually disappeared under the car.

Those Germans got a lot right with that little car, so I imagine their engineering was sound in the details.

Top Bottom