• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Factory Pickup, Retail Store Pickup, Or Delivery

goofyone

Staff member
Reaction score
I asked that question earlier. Elio can't sell you a car out thier door without charging the taxes, unless they ship it to you (out of state), so as I see it you would have to the pay the taxes twice.

Other than a small fee for a temporary tag most states allow out of state residents to purchase vehicles without paying state sales or vehicle taxes. You would only pay the taxes and fees when you register the vehicle in your home state as all states make you pay whatever sales and/or vehicle taxes are due on a new car that was purchased out of state before you can register the vehicle.

I know California is an exception to this norm, and I am sure there are a couple of others, however I believe Louisiana is like most states and allows tax free sales to out of state purchasers as they only charge you when you register the vehicle.

Last edited:

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score
The new cars I purchased rolled out of the showroom with Dealer Plates which were legal for 30 days after purchase. Also, taxes and licensing fees were paid at the time I registered the vehicle within that 30 day period. I had insurance coverage when I drove the cars off the lot. I don't see a problem with picking up the vehicle at the plant providing all the necessary paperwork is in order.

Jay3wheel

Elio Addict
Reaction score
The new cars I purchased rolled out of the showroom with Dealer Plates which were legal for 30 days after purchase. Also, taxes and licensing fees were paid at the time I registered the vehicle within that 30 day period. I had insurance coverage when I drove the cars off the lot. I don't see a problem with picking up the vehicle at the plant providing all the necessary paperwork is in order.

Are you sure they were dealer plates and not temp tags issued through the dealer.
I wasn't intending to say it was not possible to pick up a car at the plant.
I was pointing out there were hurdles to be cleared.
Most states give a credit for sales taxes paid in another state, when registering in your home state.

JEBar

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Other than a small fee for a temporary tag most states allow out of state residents to purchase vehicles without paying state sales or vehicle taxes. You would only pay the taxes and fees when you register the vehicle in your home state as all states make you pay whatever sales and/or vehicle taxes are due on a new car that was purchased out of state before you can register the vehicle.

RV's are exactly the same way in NC .... for folks who purchased a camper from the dealership where I worked and wished to title it in another state, we issued them a paper 20 day tag .... as part of the sale price they did not have to pay NC Sales Tax .... once they got to the state where they wanted to title it they took the paper work to that state's DMV and everything else was handled there

Jim

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Are you sure they were dealer plates and not temp tags issued through the dealer.
I wasn't intending to say it was not possible to pick up a car at the plant.
I was pointing out there were hurdles to be cleared.
Most states give a credit for sales taxes paid in another state, when registering in your home state.
The temp tag paper plate is what I call a dealer plate.......legal until registering the vehicle in your home State. I have purchased only one car from an out of state dealership without issue. The hurdles are simply the paper work needed to purchase any new and or used vehicle. I suspect you could walk into the Elio plant............ plunck down cash and drive your new Elio home with your Bill of Sale in the glove box with temp plates on the vehicle.

genebee

Elio Enthusiast
Reaction score
The temp tag paper plate is what I call a dealer plate.......legal until registering the vehicle in your home State. I have purchased only one car from an out of state dealership without issue. The hurdles are simply the paper work needed to purchase any new and or used vehicle. I suspect you could walk into the Elio plant............ plunck down cash and drive your new Elio home with your Bill of Sale in the glove box with temp plates on the vehicle.
Elio is not a dealer........and even if they are a dealer they still have to charge taxes unless they are "shipping" to a out of state buyer

ET Elio

Elio Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am happy to pick mine up from a local retail store. I have only owned one small car - I had an '85 Dodge Daytona for a year:p so it will take me some time to get used to the Elio. I will feel more comfortable doing that in my home area :).

Bert

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Just wondering, but if someone took a plane or bus to pick up at the factory, does anyone live close enough to the plant so we can hitch a ride?
It'd be pretty cool, a ride to pick up our Elio IN an Elio!
Just sayin'...

Top Bottom