• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Faraday Future's Ff91 (reservations)

BigWarpGuy

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Sounds like companies finally picked up what GM was trying to do all the way back in 2002. Really wished this came to light at the time, but the future might hold true.

GM's Autonomy:
http://newatlas.com/general-motors-autonomy/1166/

I believe the autonomy was a fuel cell system. It is a shame they did not develop it. I think it had potential. I liked the idea of being able to put any body on top.
awww.blogcdn.com_translogic.aolautos.com_media_2010_09_burnswithautonomy_1285350784.jpg

I was thinking Faraday Future could do something similar. Perhaps Local Motors could do that?

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
The problem with Fuel Cells was getting people to accept Hydrogen as a fuel source and the infrastructure (aka gas stations) to go along with it.
What good is it having a car that runs on Hydrogen if there's no place to gas it up?

xtspode

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Sounds like companies finally picked up what GM was trying to do all the way back in 2002. Really wished this came to light at the time, but the future might hold true.

GM's Autonomy:
http://newatlas.com/general-motors-autonomy/1166/

I like how you referred to GM all the way back in the old days (2002). It just doesn't seem that far back.

Question,. Does this post make my butt look old?

Go Elio.

airforceguy6

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I believe the autonomy was a fuel cell system. It is a shame they did not develop it. I think it had potential. I liked the idea of being able to put any body on top.
awww.blogcdn.com_translogic.aolautos.com_media_2010_09_burnswithautonomy_1285350784.jpg

I was thinking Faraday Future could do something similar. Perhaps Local Motors could do that?
Yes, it was a fuel cell system, but that was most likely because battery systems were not as advanced as today's battery packs. I was more pointing out the idea of designing the "platform" or base of the vehicle that would be able to be applied to multiple configurations. It could be a significant money saver if you could use the same base from a sedan, to a crossover, a van, etc etc.

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
Yes, it was a fuel cell system, but that was most likely because battery systems were not as advanced as today's battery packs. I was more pointing out the idea of designing the "platform" or base of the vehicle that would be able to be applied to multiple configurations. It could be a significant money saver if you could use the same base from a sedan, to a crossover, a van, etc etc.
I remember when that platform came out; GM was talking about body modules; you could buy what ever modules you needed and change them yourself. So if you had visiting family, you could add seating modules so everyone could fit; if it was just your daily commuter, you could make it a single seater, and put cargo pods on according to need. They also talked about modules you could rent. It was a great project that GM just couldn't get off the ground, and it just got shelved.

MagicDragon

Elio Enthusiast
Reaction score
So apparently Faraday Future has received 64,124 reservations in just 36 hours after unveiling their FF91 at CES this year..... looks like they got a little more stream than Elio.

www.theverge.com/platform/amp/ces/2017/1/6/14165528/faraday-future-ff91-electric-car-financial-problems-ces-2017
Looks like only 60 people out of the 64,124 actually sent any money to FF for their reservation. Now that's a lack of stream!
https://www.yahoo.com/news/faraday-future-only-locked-down-184553506.html

Ty

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Back to Faraday Future... It was a shame they had to lie right on stage in front of everyone about the car autonomously driving to it's parking spot. You can clearly see someone step through the dark and get in the car before it "drives itself" off the stage. Tucker had some stage fright as well but at least he admitted that something wasn't working. I lost all respect I had for FF when I watched that fiasco. Still, maybe someone will take the design and run with it.

Top Bottom