• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Financing Elio Motors Development And Production

DBN477

Elio Addict
Reaction score
As have been mentioned, they have been around since 2008, that's a long time and have very little to show for it People want to compare Elio to the Model T (and Henry Ford). How many deposits did Henry take from potential buyers?

People talk about the economics, the need for such a vehicle at this price point, the market would support it. Well if the economy is so bad, why is FamilyDollar cancelling expansion plans, and closing 370 stores? The customers that shop there are probably a decent percentage of what Elio would consider a target customer. So maybe the low end of the market is not there anymore. Consider this, Europe was going through the same thing during the time the Messerschmitt was built. Look at the production #'s far less than what Elio predicts for a limited first year run.

The Fiat efficiency academy. I think Ford is the one to model yourself after, look at the Camacari plant in Brazil. A model of efficiency. Suppliers close by, and the suppliers have their own employee install THEIR part on the vehicle.

I don't see a problem buying of one manufacture buying another asset from a competitor. GM bought the RenCen from Ford. Companies do it all the time. It's business.

I really don't see this selling 250k a year worldwide at full production. This concept can easily be copied, if they(a manufacture in China) thought this could sell in China they would have copied it by now(Elio around since 2008) and sold their own version by now (like they do the F150).

Funding? Who knows how it's going to happen. Hopefully questions about funding answered later today. Maybe the plan is to continue to sell "limited" edition tshirts until they have the funding..........They don't need to name backers, but it would be nice to know what they have, what they need, and when they need it by.............We have to pay IAV by (date), we have the funds and bill will paid. Our next bill is due(date), we have the money, etc. We have this bill due 6 months from now, we do not have the full amount at this time....whatever..............I think at this point (not knowing how they will fund production) they are better off buying lobbyists to get the funding through some hidden rider on some bill(btw I am opposed to this kind of governement legislation) they wrote (that no one reads until it's passed).

Neal

Elio Addict
Reaction score
The one thing I keep reminding myself everytime I get a little impatient is that they are doing more than building a car, they are starting from the ground up and having to build the infrastructure. It takes years to go from concept to production for the big auto makers and they already have the infrastructure in place. Yes, I want my Elio yesterday, but I know it takes time, cutting through a lot of red tape, and I want this done right and I want it to succeed.

H2odog

Elio Addict
Reaction score
The one thing I keep reminding myself everytime I get a little impatient is that they are doing more than building a car, they are starting from the ground up and having to build the infrastructure. It takes years to go from concept to production for the big auto makers and they already have the infrastructure in place. Yes, I want my Elio yesterday, but I know it takes time, cutting through a lot of red tape, and I want this done right and I want it to succeed.
Very well said Neal. Too bad more folks can't wrap their minds around that thought.

Jim H

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Could not agree more. Great things are worth waiting for

DBN477

Elio Addict
Reaction score
ah, it's been six years and counting. No design finalized. What manufacture motorcycle or car doesn't have design finalized a year or more before production. What manufacture doesn't have mules/prototypes running at this point?.......Todays announcement disappointing to say the least.

Last edited:

Kuda

Elio Addict
Reaction score
snipped: As have been mentioned, they have been around since 2008, that's a long time and have very little to show for it People want to compare Elio to the Model T (and Henry Ford). How many deposits did Henry take from potential buyers?

There have been a few, "two steps fwd one step back" since inception, but they haven't quit yet. To me that says a lot. Starting any business is no cake walk, as I'm sure
many of us know, so we will see. I'm personally curious about the July tests of the production (IAV) motor & the 5 Star crash modeling verification tests as well. If that actually
happens, it will speak volumes................. :)

zelio

Elio Addict
Reaction score
ah, it's been six years and counting. No design finalized. What manufacture motorcycle or car doesn't have design finalized a year or more before production. What manufacture doesn't have mules/prototypes running at this point?.......Todays announcement disappointing to say the least.
How do you know since all other producers do all this in secret? We know more about what has happened with Elio, good and bad, than any other vehicle produced at least in this country. I am glad they are taking their time to get it right. I want to know when I drive off in my Elio I am driving off in a wonderful vehicle that was carefully designed and produced to meet Paul Elio's expectations. In the mean time I fully intend to sit back and enjoy the adventure. :-) Z

Kuda

Elio Addict
Reaction score

(2) Mule/Proto's currently are touring the country: P3 & P4. Supply,MFG. & Distribution,Procurement,Service, etc falling into place. This isn't amateur hour, these guys are serious.

DBN477

Elio Addict
Reaction score
How do you know since all other producers do all this in secret? We know more about what has happened with Elio, good and bad, than any other vehicle produced at least in this country. I am glad they are taking their time to get it right. I want to know when I drive off in my Elio I am driving off in a wonderful vehicle that was carefully designed and produced to meet Paul Elio's expectations. In the mean time I fully intend to sit back and enjoy the adventure. :) Z

Do what in secret? Are you telling me I have never seen future Ford Transits, Holden Colorado's, Ford Ranger (Australia), Ecosport(Australia) well in advance (1 to 2 years ahead) of release. It's funny how these vehicles look exactly like artists rendereing in magazines. My point is this timeline is rushed to say the least. You need real world testing like the big manufactures. Computer modeling helps, but is not the real world. Why do you think manufactures tout where there vehicles have been tested and how many miles they have put on test vehicles (real world miles, not just the miles in the labs)? Elio is running out of time if they think vehicle will be out in a year. At this point I figure I blew $1k, they got me trust them, but they do not trust reservationists enough to tell us how they will fund project.

DBN477

Elio Addict
Reaction score
(2) Mule/Proto's currently are touring the country: P3 & P4. Supply,MFG. & Distribution,Procurement,Service, etc falling into place. This isn't amateur hour, these guys are serious.

So a show vehicle with a non Elio drivetrain riding in a trailer is the same as a running (under their own power & drivetrain) driving prototype/mule?

Top Bottom