• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Food/recipe/restuarant Thread

Lil4X

Elio Addict
Reaction score
"And to every beast of the earth, and to every fowl of the air, and to every thing that creepeth upon the earth, wherein there is life, I have given every green herb for meat: and it was so." - Genesis 1:20, KJV
Just so you know where you vegans stand in the food chain . . . ;)

But seriously, although I've used all kinds of pits over the years, I'm amazed that nothing could beat the little Magma Marine propane grill I had on my boat for flavor and simplicity.

7295af044ac57268b9991a617d07e504.jpg

^^ OK, some photographer/food stylist set that picture up, I don't think you could possibly pile that little grill up with that much food and not have something go overboard, but it gives you the idea. It's all stainless and you screw an ordinary propane bottle onto it and push the button for almost instant heat. The secret is in the ceramic briquets just above the burner that turn meat into a religious experience. It grills, smokes, and even serves as a faster way to make your morning coffee rather than pump up the alcohol stove and observe the effects of low-energy fuel on a couple cups of cold water. I hope you have a half hour or so.

The Magma grill is designed to be clamped to the railing of your boat and be suspended outboard - making it a safe cooking tool as any gas leakage goes overboard rather than collecting on the cabin sole. Ditto your meat - so don't attempt to do a rack of baby backs in a seaway. We call that "chumming". It works great while anchored in a quiet cove or tied to the dock. At home, I've used it many times clamped to a pipe driven into the ground. That setup looks a little odd, but it's one way to get double duty out of the grill. Cleanup is kind of a pain because you have to get all the grease and soot off of it, otherwise it's kind of a mess to store in its little nylon bag, but I solved most of that by storing the briquets separately in a heavy plastic bag after they've cooled.

Dinner for two or four is easily accomplished, be it chicken, steaks, ribs, or burgers - even something freshly caught, and yes, we've even had shrimp on the barbie (one advantage of live shrimp for bait, when the fish don't bite, you can go to your live well for the main ingredient for a nice garlic and herb kebob).

The reflective properties of the stainless make it extremely fuel efficient, and by dropping the cover in place, you can even smoke a half-brisket in a couple of hours on "low". About the only accessory needed is a remote-reading thermometer - that little gas burner is relatively silent at low settings and if you open the top to check the progress of your meal, a gust of wind while swinging at anchor can blow the fire out - putting dinner on hold until you notice it. In bright sunlight, the small propane flame isn't always obvious, and touching the top to check the progress of your meal isn't a great idea. That wonderful scent of grilling meat could be you. :(

DWR

Elio Addict
Reaction score
True on the baby backs. And so far this year we've been sticking to the pork spare ribs. Way cheaper, and just as good if done right. And the pork loins are awesome too as long as you don't overcook them.

I can't find where the smoker talk started, but I left out the most important part about prepping the ribs. Always, always, always remove the membrane from the inside if you want any chance of them being fall off the bone tender. Easy to do if you peel it off under running water.
I didn't know that. That's probably a major factor in my failures with ribs. Thanks!:D

JEBar

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
But seriously, although I've used all kinds of pits over the years, I'm amazed that nothing could beat the little Magma Marine propane grill I had on my boat for flavor and simplicity.

7295af044ac57268b9991a617d07e504.jpg

^^ OK, some photographer/food stylist set that picture up, I don't think you could possibly pile that little grill up with that much food and not have something go overboard, but it gives you the idea. It's all stainless and you screw an ordinary propane bottle onto it and push the button for almost instant heat. The secret is in the ceramic briquets just above the burner that turn meat into a religious experience. It grills, smokes, and even serves as a faster way to make your morning coffee rather than pump up the alcohol stove and observe the effects of low-energy fuel on a couple cups of cold water. I hope you have a half hour or so.

The Magma grill is designed to be clamped to the railing of your boat and be suspended outboard - making it a safe cooking tool as any gas leakage goes overboard rather than collecting on the cabin sole. Ditto your meat - so don't attempt to do a rack of baby backs in a seaway. We call that "chumming". It works great while anchored in a quiet cove or tied to the dock. At home, I've used it many times clamped to a pipe driven into the ground. That setup looks a little odd, but it's one way to get double duty out of the grill. Cleanup is kind of a pain because you have to get all the grease and soot off of it, otherwise it's kind of a mess to store in its little nylon bag, but I solved most of that by storing the briquets separately in a heavy plastic bag after they've cooled.

Dinner for two or four is easily accomplished, be it chicken, steaks, ribs, or burgers - even something freshly caught, and yes, we've even had shrimp on the barbie (one advantage of live shrimp for bait, when the fish don't bite, you can go to your live well for the main ingredient for a nice garlic and herb kebob).

The reflective properties of the stainless make it extremely fuel efficient, and by dropping the cover in place, you can even smoke a half-brisket in a couple of hours on "low". About the only accessory needed is a remote-reading thermometer - that little gas burner is relatively silent at low settings and if you open the top to check the progress of your meal, a gust of wind while swinging at anchor can blow the fire out - putting dinner on hold until you notice it. In bright sunlight, the small propane flame isn't always obvious, and touching the top to check the progress of your meal isn't a great idea. That wonderful scent of grilling meat could be you. :(

I'm glad to hear someone with a good experience using a Magma grill I... we bought one of the very first ones sold by Bass Pro and mounted it on our boat .... great in theory but it was the hottest grill I've ever owned and we tried everything we could think of to cool it down .... it was all but impossible to not burn the food .... it sounds from your experience that they have taken care of that issue

Reactions: DWR

NSTG8R

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I just checked the John Henry's site, and would have to drive 2-3 hours just to get to the nearest town that has a distributor of thier products. Bummer.:(

Yes, that's a bummer for sure.

I haven't compared the ingredients to John Henry's, but this is one that I whipped up last summer that I pulled off the web. Pretty good if you can't find something that sounds good at the local grocery store:

Ingredients
  • 1 tablespoon cumin
  • 1 tablespoon paprika
  • 1 tablespoon granulated garlic
  • 1 tablespoon granulated onion
  • 1 tablespoon chili powder
  • 1 tablespoon brown sugar
  • 2 tablespoons kosher salt
  • 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
  • 1 teaspoon black pepper
  • 1 teaspoon white pepper
Directions
Combine all ingredients in a large bowl and mix well. Store in an airtight container. Pack on the dry rub onto your next rack of ribs.
Professional Recipe: This recipe was provided by a chef, restaurant or culinary professional and makes a large quantity. The Food Network Kitchens chefs have not tested this recipe in the proportions indicated and therefore cannot make any representation as to the results.
Recipe courtesy Central BBQ

DWR

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Yes, that's a bummer for sure.

I haven't compared the ingredients to John Henry's, but this is one that I whipped up last summer that I pulled off the web. Pretty good if you can't find something that sounds good at the local grocery store:

Ingredients
  • 1 tablespoon cumin
  • 1 tablespoon paprika
  • 1 tablespoon granulated garlic
  • 1 tablespoon granulated onion
  • 1 tablespoon chili powder
  • 1 tablespoon brown sugar
  • 2 tablespoons kosher salt
  • 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
  • 1 teaspoon black pepper
  • 1 teaspoon white pepper
Directions
Combine all ingredients in a large bowl and mix well. Store in an airtight container. Pack on the dry rub onto your next rack of ribs.
Professional Recipe: This recipe was provided by a chef, restaurant or culinary professional and makes a large quantity. The Food Network Kitchens chefs have not tested this recipe in the proportions indicated and therefore cannot make any representation as to the results.
Recipe courtesy Central BBQ
Thanks NSTG8R, but I had to try the Pecan Rub after reading reviews about it on other sites. I ordered a bottle direct from John Henry's, and will most likely have the first, and only bottle in East Tennessee.:D

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Dry rubs are too complex in my opinion. All I use on ribs and Pork Butt is Kosher Salt, Black Pepper, and Brown Sugar.
The Pork flavor shines through and we get the flavor profile in the choice of BBQ Sauces.

Top Bottom