• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Food/recipe/restuarant Thread

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score
As a kid growing up in Sioux Falls, SD there was a retaurant that served 'loose meat sandwiches'. It's a non-sloppy Joe (no tomato products). I always tried to experiment with ingredients to copycat the recipe without success. I recently discovered that the original loosemeat or tavern was developed in Sioux City, Iowa about 60 miles from my home. I found the link while searching for loosemeat sandwich recipes and hit the jackpot with this original recipe. Absolutely delicious and took me back to one of my childhood food favorites. For those of you that cook and have never experienced a loosemeat sandwich here is the link: Follow the recipe exactly.........my one exception is that I used half the salt otherwise very salty flavor. Also, for me quality ground chuck is a must.......which is actual chuck roast I have fresh ground by the local butcher, not whatever the cuts used in grocery store labeled ground chuck which is 80/20, but not ground chuck. Easy and simple recipe. Fine crumble is a must and a hint is to use a pastry blender to chop the beef while cooking. Enjoy!

http://www.food.com/recipe/the-blue-mill-tavern-loosemeat-sandwich-87075?photo=92429

JEBar

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Two of my favorites. Guess we will have to give it a try.

link ====> This Cinnamon Roll Recipe Changes Everything

couldn't stand it, had to give them a try .... the pictures pretty well tell the story of the process .... we did precook the bacon, I prefer it on the crisp side .... bottom line, it was OK .... the bacon didn't have as strong of an addition to the flavor as I anticipated .... using thick bacon might help with that .... bottom line, we'd fix them again as a novelty but don't know that it wouldn't be just as good to fix the cinnamon rolls and serve the bacon on the side

Attachments

• 150710 001 Bacon Cinnamon Roll 001.jpg
    150710 001 Bacon Cinnamon Roll 001.jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 164
  • 150710 001 Bacon Cinnamon Roll 002.jpg
    150710 001 Bacon Cinnamon Roll 002.jpg
    35 KB · Views: 189
  • 150710 001 Bacon Cinnamon Roll 003.jpg
    150710 001 Bacon Cinnamon Roll 003.jpg
    47.4 KB · Views: 183
  • 150710 001 Bacon Cinnamon Roll 004.jpg
    150710 001 Bacon Cinnamon Roll 004.jpg
    47.7 KB · Views: 173
  • 150710 001 Bacon Cinnamon Roll 005.jpg
    150710 001 Bacon Cinnamon Roll 005.jpg
    42.7 KB · Views: 158
  • 150710 001 Bacon Cinnamon Roll 006.jpg
    150710 001 Bacon Cinnamon Roll 006.jpg
    50.4 KB · Views: 197
  • 150710 001 Bacon Cinnamon Roll 007.jpg
    150710 001 Bacon Cinnamon Roll 007.jpg
    51.8 KB · Views: 187
  • 150710 001 Bacon Cinnamon Roll 008.jpg
    150710 001 Bacon Cinnamon Roll 008.jpg
    53 KB · Views: 150
  • 150710 001 Bacon Cinnamon Roll 009.jpg
    150710 001 Bacon Cinnamon Roll 009.jpg
    46.3 KB · Views: 157

NSTG8R

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Dang! I shouldn't have checked out your post at this time of the morning! Getting hungry now.
While bacon IS the magical pixy dust of meats, it does have it's limits (possibly...they sell chocolate covered bacon strips out here.). Kudos for giving it a try though, Jim!

JEBar

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Dang! I shouldn't have checked out your post at this time of the morning! Getting hungry now.
While bacon IS the magical pixy dust of meats, it does have it's limits (possibly...they sell chocolate covered bacon strips out here.). Kudos for giving it a try though, Jim!

not a problem .... happy to take one, OK two, well actually three for the team ..:hungry:

SandyCWV

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score
As a kid growing up in Sioux Falls, SD there was a retaurant that served 'loose meat sandwiches'. It's a non-sloppy Joe (no tomato products). I always tried to experiment with ingredients to copycat the recipe without success. I recently discovered that the original loosemeat or tavern was developed in Sioux City, Iowa about 60 miles from my home. I found the link while searching for loosemeat sandwich recipes and hit the jackpot with this original recipe. Absolutely delicious and took me back to one of my childhood food favorites. For those of you that cook and have never experienced a loosemeat sandwich here is the link: Follow the recipe exactly.........my one exception is that I used half the salt otherwise very salty flavor. Also, for me quality ground chuck is a must.......which is actual chuck roast I have fresh ground by the local butcher, not whatever the cuts used in grocery store labeled ground chuck which is 80/20, but not ground chuck. Easy and simple recipe. Fine crumble is a must and a hint is to use a pastry blender to chop the beef while cooking. Enjoy!

http://www.food.com/recipe/the-blue-mill-tavern-loosemeat-sandwich-87075?photo=92429

Take me home country roads! West Virginia to Iowa. I was born in Sioux Center and grew up in SW Minnesota. Sioux Falls was "the" shopping mecca of the 80's and I have lots of relatives still in the area. Loose meat sandwiches are an old favorite that I had forgotten about, shame on me.Thanks for the recipe. I will share here in WV using our own ground chuck roast, they probably won't like it without dumping cole slaw on top though. ;)

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Take me home country roads! West Virginia to Iowa. I was born in Sioux Center and grew up in SW Minnesota. Sioux Falls was "the" shopping mecca of the 80's and I have lots of relatives still in the area. Loose meat sandwiches are an old favorite that I had forgotten about, shame on me.Thanks for the recipe. I will share here in WV using our own ground chuck roast, they probably won't like it without dumping cole slaw on top though. ;)
Hey Sandy, we lived in Sioux Falls for 64 years, before relocating to Idaho 4 years ago to escape the dreaded winters and hot summer nights! Our family is still there. I ate hundreds of SunShine Cafe Loosemeat Sandwiches and was never able to replicate the recipe until a couple weeks ago. I have made three batches and my wife and I are readdicted. Please follow that recipe exactly except use half the salt (can always add more) and let me know what you think. Cole slaw is a perfect 'SIDE' compliment. I prefer them plain, pickles on the side, and no mustard.

I ground my own chuck too until the Sioux Falls Hy Vee started selling salt water added beef cuts. I now have the local butcher order a whole chuck in from a high grade cattle grower and watch him cut three beautiful roasts and grind the rest.

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score
couldn't stand it, had to give them a try .... the pictures pretty well tell the story of the process .... we did precook the bacon, I prefer it on the crisp side .... bottom line, it was OK .... the bacon didn't have as strong of an addition to the flavor as I anticipated .... using thick bacon might help with that .... bottom line, we'd fix them again as a novelty but don't know that it wouldn't be just as good to fix the cinnamon rolls and serve the bacon on the side
I was tempted to give that recipe idea a try too, but after you shared your experience, I may do a version of finely chopped Crispy Bacon crumbled on top of freshly baked Caramel Pecan Rolls.........hot out of the pan so the bacon sticks into the hot gooey caramel adding a little meaty salty flavor. Also, a rasher of crispy bacon on the side of over easy eggs and hashbrowns.

Thanks for posting the photos.

Top Bottom