• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Ford Gt-style Hood On An Elio?

Sethodine

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Does anybody think the aero on the Elio might be improved by a hood similar to the Ford GT? By this, I mean the air passing through the radiator exits out the top of the hood and over the windshield, rather than swirling around in the engine compartment and funneling out the bottom of the engine bay.

This would allow for installing a cover plate under the engine bay, to improve the aero (and this is the real aero improvement area, not so much the hood).

I'm not suggesting this as a factory change, but more of an aftermarket kit. It seems there might be enough room in the front to work something like this.

Thoughts?
ford-gt-40_key_19.jpg

acamara

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Interesting concept.

Certainly looks unique and may function very well in the warmer weather of the Southern portions of the United States.

Wondering though if the Air flowing thru the Radiator which would be restricted somewhat by the Radiator and A/C Condensor fins may not cause a Venture effect by the Hood Venting which may actually suck up air from the bottom of the car bring with it dirt, grime and snow.

Wonder what would happen during a heavy snowfall. The Hood openings would certainly be filled with snow and if it was a wet snow, then froze over night, the modified hood opening might in fact get plugged up with Ice and become very heavy.

Just offering some thoughts on this modified Hood..

Grumpy Cat

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Actually, those holes are for downforce. If you've ever looked down into that area, you'll see 2 fans, sucking air into the area, which at high speed, creates downforce on the front.

Billll

Elio Fan
Reaction score
I did this on a Triumph I built with a 302 Ford V-8 inside. The air passes through the radiator and out the louvered vents on either side of the top of the hood but then runs laterally around the windscreen and alongside the car about 6-8 inches below the top edge of the doors.This probably improves the negative air pressure under the car and yes, does add to circulation under the hood. I know it helped my car run cooler.

Gas-Powered Awesome

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Actually, those holes are for downforce. If you've ever looked down into that area, you'll see 2 fans, sucking air into the area, which at high speed, creates downforce on the front.
Um, no. :D

The fans keep air flowing through the radiators at low speed...

The fans required to actually create suction at high speed would look like aircraft ducted fans and require maybe 100 HP on their own.

Grumpy Cat

Elio Addict
Reaction score

Gas-Powered Awesome

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Last edited:
Top Bottom