• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Ford Gt-style Hood On An Elio?

Marshall

Elio Addict
Reaction score
GPA --- Rather than a Manometer I would use a sensitive altimeter for pressure testing (mostly because I have one). With the Elios short nose and steeply raked windshield it may not prove to be a problem but without testing you never know. Cooling drag is always difficult to deal with but can yield real measurable improvements in aerodynamics.
I'm stuck in meteorology thinking the closer the pressure differential is located (in isobars) the windier it is. But that doesn't apply to a moving vehicle. So I'll let you guys figure it out.

AriLea

Elio Addict
Reaction score
This is where this forum will be of super value, so long as reliable verification tests are made by the members. That is, simply doing a series of roll-down tests with and with-out the mod(s). Then followed up with some distance drives. People who do this will be the 'real' heroes to us.
We may even be able to muster up special equipment designs based on cell-phone tech. But it won't be absolutely necessary.
So that will be the biggest help, providing the description of a reliable test. There will be a matching calc involved and that can be set-up online.

Ty

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Actually, those holes are for downforce. If you've ever looked down into that area, you'll see 2 fans, sucking air into the area, which at high speed, creates downforce on the front.
Wait a second.... If you suck air down through the hood, you'd be creating upforce. Suck enough air through the hood and the vehicle will take flight like a helicopter.

Ty

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I've considered this type of mod myself but discounted it for several reasons. Cars have a high pressure area Foreword of the windshield. You could actually restrict the airflow through the radiator. Without access to a wind tunnel you'd just be guessing. I would guess venting out the side behind the suspension would be a better option. Engines need more cooling airflow than just what comes through the radiator. Without a lot of cooling air plastic sensors and valves get brittle and break up leading to all kinds of problems even fires. I seem to recall Fieros and the Fiat X 1/9 had these problems for this very reason.

What is this "air plastic" you speak of and why do you have to have a sensor to check it's coolness? "Without a lot of cooling air, plastic sensors..." makes much more sense. Is that what it's supposed to be?

WilliamH

Elio Addict
Reaction score
What is this "air plastic" you speak of and why do you have to have a sensor to check it's coolness? "Without a lot of cooling air, plastic sensors..." makes much more sense. Is that what it's supposed to be?

So you're jumping him because he left out a coma?
And I thought my English teachers were tough!

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
Wait a second.... If you suck air down through the hood, you'd be creating upforce. Suck enough air through the hood and the vehicle will take flight like a helicopter.
Pull air in from the front, exhaust it out the top of the hood.
So you're jumping him because he left out a coma?
And I thought my English teachers were tough!
Really, I went to a Catholic school, and the nuns were never that strict.

Top Bottom