• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Friday Blog Is Out

3wheelin

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Elio has virtually crashed and tested their car but it was back in 2015 with the wrong chassis. So, I assume the SEC keeps them from releasing any video on crash testing with the new unibody, thus the reason why you won't find any info on it.

If you read the blog, it's more forward thinking and they are using their crystal ball to predict what insurance companies will do. Here's the proof:

Forward thinking cannot be used as fact. It will make you feel better but until you get to reality, it's all talk and even Elio admits that through their wording.
Elio does say this:

I cannot find any information as to what the Elio Safety Management System is according to any set specifications. They might as well say, "So, using this equation, the Elio is engineered to the highest safety standards through the Cookie Monster Safety Management System."

On a side note, Elio needs to get someone that knows the English language because they are getting pretty bad and some of the phrases make no sense. For example, I don't know of anyone in the US that uses this statement:

Also, just read the first quote I posted out loud and tell me if it sounds wrong. I know that many will jump on my case for bad English but I will make it perfect if all of you send me $1K non refundable. I can pay someone to make it right.
There's really no point digging back in time because well.....we've read what you've read. It's past tense. Questions to EM regarding funding is what matters the most and it'll go unanswered until they're ready. But I wouldn't mind being entertained by the other 3wheelers forward momentum! :D

Johnny Acree

Elio Addict
Reaction score
The Elio v. ____
February 2, 2018

Happy Friday Elio’ers! This Sunday features a little bit of something for everybody. If you happen to enjoy chicken wings, nachos, and chips, you have something to look forward to. If you like popular culture and new products, you are in luck. If you are on the lookout for superb owls, you are probably a bird watcher. Oh, and if you enjoy the game of football, Sunday might be circled on your calendar. This year’s Super Bowl features the mighty New England Patriots against the scrappy Philadelphia Eagles. Who ya got? We don’t have a dog in the fight and as long as the game is close and exciting we’ll be happy!

If you’ve been a loyal follower of the blog, you probably know that from time to time we’ve compared the Elio to other vehicles that are on the road today. Usually these comparisons deal with gas mileage and price. Today, to mix things up a little bit, we will compare the Elio to a few different vehicles in terms of size! These dimensions reflect the current design direction and may change slightly, so if you’re thinking about building that new garage for your Elio, don’t plan on these dimensions being exact.

With our configuration and design, the Elio can be a bit of an optical illusion. As we’ve said in the past, the Elio can comfortably seat two 6’2 adults comfortably. The dimensions of the front seat are comparable to the 2017 Honda Accord. The Elio has 39.8” of headroom and 42.7” of legroom, while the Accord’s same dimensions are 37.2’’ and 42.2’’. The Elio also has the same amount of headroom and legroom as the 2018 Toyota Carola.

At first glance, the Elio may look slightly low to the ground. Actually, our ground clearance 5.75″ which is consistent with other vehicles on the road such as the Honda Accord EX and the Mercedes S550.

With a wheelbase (which is the center of the front wheels to the center of the rear wheel) of 110,” the Elio is similar to the Toyota Corolla, which has a wheelbase of 106. As far as length, the Elio, at 160.5”, is the about the same length as the 2017 Honda Fit, the 2017 Chevrolet Sonic Hatchback, and the Mercedes SLC.

With our front-to-back seating, the space where the door opens is a very important area of the Elio and one that is quite popular with people that have yet to see the Elio in person. To help you visualize the ingress for the Elio, we took three different measurements of the door opening and compared them to other vehicles that you commonly see on the road.

A. The total swing of the door.

B. The dimension from the A-Pillar to the B-Pillar at the belt line

C. The dimension from the outer body to the furthers point of the door when opened

You can clearly see that the Elio has an ample entry point, even larger than a Ram 3500 quad cab pickup. The other interesting point we can glean information from is the “C” measurement. The Elio extends only 22” past the outside of the wheel, meaning that you can open your door and have over 19” extra clearance from whatever on that side, be it a wall or a roadway. That is over a foot and a half less room that you would need over the LaCrosse, and that is with the door at its widest!

One other measurement that we often get asked is how much room is there to get to the back seat. The number is not on this chart, as it is unique to Elio in this comparison, but that number is 20.5”, pretty good for a coupe set up.

As you can see, while the Elio is unique, it shares many similar dimensions to other four-wheel, four-door vehicles on the road.

Thanks for your support and have a super weekend!

Johnny Acree

Elio Addict
Reaction score
The ESMS
February 9, 2018

Happy Friday Elio’ers! If you’re a fan of sports that require snow and freezing temperatures, today is your lucky day. The 2018 Winter Olympics have already kicked off in PyeongChang and the Opening Ceremony will air in prime time tonight. The Winter Olympics is a great opportunity to check out some non-traditional sports like curling, luge, and the biathlon. It should be an exciting couple of weeks!

When designing the Elio, safety was one of the main decision drivers. Today’s blog is from the archives and reviews the components that make up at the Elio Motors Safety Management System.

The Elio won’t be the largest vehicle on the road, but it is engineered to the highest safety standards. In the case of the Elio, bigger isn’t necessarily better because of the Elio Safety Management System (ESMS). Like all other systems, the ESMS is a collection that works to keep Elio driver’s safe.

Brakes: As we mentioned, this week’s Momentum featured the hardware that makes up one-half of the Elio braking system. The Elio has disc brakes on all three wheels, as well as ABS. Once you’re rolling along in your Elio, you won’t have any issues coming to a stop. You won’t have to stop at a gas station often, but when you need to, stopping won’t be an issue.

Airbags: The Elio has three airbags, one in the steering wheel and two side curtain, which protect both the driver and the passenger. Simple, but important.

Seatbelts: While the Elio might be classified as a motorcycle (don’t worry, no helmet needed) and not necessarily require them, it will come standard with a seat belt for both occupants. Bonus: the rear seat will be equipped with the LATCH system for securing car seats also.

Body: The body of the Elio is a unibody construction, allowing for us to “tune” the body for safety and manage the crush zones more effectively. Not only is a unibody safe, it also makes the vehicle lighter and less expensive to manufacture. Triple win!

Traction and Stability Control: Both of these features make sure that you can cruise down the road just like a four-wheel vehicle. The Elio is a front wheel drive vehicle, and traction and stability control ensure that you’ll be able to drive through snow and mud just like any other car.

The Elio sports great gas mileage and unbeatable price. And, we’re going to build it right here in the US, in Shreveport. But, safety (the Elio Safety Management System) is the linchpin that holds the project together. When Elio owners leave their driveways and head down the road, they can have the peace of mind that only safety can give.

Thanks for your support and have a great weekend!

booboo

Elio Addict
Reaction score
The ESMS
February 9, 2018

Happy Friday Elio’ers! If you’re a fan of sports that require snow and freezing temperatures, today is your lucky day. The 2018 Winter Olympics have already kicked off in PyeongChang and the Opening Ceremony will air in prime time tonight. The Winter Olympics is a great opportunity to check out some non-traditional sports like curling, luge, and the biathlon. It should be an exciting couple of weeks!

When designing the Elio, safety was one of the main decision drivers. Today’s blog is from the archives and reviews the components that make up at the Elio Motors Safety Management System.

The Elio won’t be the largest vehicle on the road, but it is engineered to the highest safety standards. In the case of the Elio, bigger isn’t necessarily better because of the Elio Safety Management System (ESMS). Like all other systems, the ESMS is a collection that works to keep Elio driver’s safe.

Brakes: As we mentioned, this week’s Momentum featured the hardware that makes up one-half of the Elio braking system. The Elio has disc brakes on all three wheels, as well as ABS. Once you’re rolling along in your Elio, you won’t have any issues coming to a stop. You won’t have to stop at a gas station often, but when you need to, stopping won’t be an issue.

Airbags: The Elio has three airbags, one in the steering wheel and two side curtain, which protect both the driver and the passenger. Simple, but important.

Seatbelts: While the Elio might be classified as a motorcycle (don’t worry, no helmet needed) and not necessarily require them, it will come standard with a seat belt for both occupants. Bonus: the rear seat will be equipped with the LATCH system for securing car seats also.

Body: The body of the Elio is a unibody construction, allowing for us to “tune” the body for safety and manage the crush zones more effectively. Not only is a unibody safe, it also makes the vehicle lighter and less expensive to manufacture. Triple win!

Traction and Stability Control: Both of these features make sure that you can cruise down the road just like a four-wheel vehicle. The Elio is a front wheel drive vehicle, and traction and stability control ensure that you’ll be able to drive through snow and mud just like any other car.

The Elio sports great gas mileage and unbeatable price. And, we’re going to build it right here in the US, in Shreveport. But, safety (the Elio Safety Management System) is the linchpin that holds the project together. When Elio owners leave their driveways and head down the road, they can have the peace of mind that only safety can give.

Thanks for your support and have a great weekend!
@Elio Motors has started Tweeting again!

Last edited:

RSchneider

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I assume that Elio is updating their other social channels as well. I'm glad to see that Elio is updating us on their safety systems. Who here can name the guy in charge of safety at Elio?

Jeremiah

Reaction score
A couple of times a week I get some lame email from Elio advising me of the latest discussion or the daily blog or whatever. It amazes me how this company can continue to discuss this project as if they actually have a product in the marketplace. Oh, here's what we've done to our dashboard for this year. And, we've brought our car up to a new safety standard comparable to company xyz. Or, how do you like our new color choices?

I gave up on this BS trip a long time ago. I lost more money on the stock market last week in one day than one of these no show cars would cost if they were ever to materialize and actually be for sale.................and I'm a teeny tiny investor by most standards.

Top Bottom