• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Friday Blog Is Out

RSchneider

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Virtual crash testing is like virtual car design. You do it virtually, build it physically and then test it to see how it compares to the virtual world. As for the IIHS and NHTSA, they could care less about virtual, they do real destructive testing. It's that the NHTSA sets the minimum standards and the IIHS then does their more exhaustive test to let you know how it ranks. Think of it this way. As long as you get a C in school, you pass. you met the minimum requirement. A good example of minimum requirement to pass is when the IIHS tested the American Muscle cars. The Dodge Challenger passed federal but not really that great. As we know people don;t buy a Challenger for crash worthiness. People will buy an Elio for one of their reasons because it has been heavily advertised the safety of their car for 6 years as opposed to Dodge, who does not for the Challenger.

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Virtual crash testing is like virtual car design. You do it virtually, build it physically and then test it to see how it compares to the virtual world. As for the IIHS and NHTSA, they could care less about virtual, they do real destructive testing. It's that the NHTSA sets the minimum standards and the IIHS then does their more exhaustive test to let you know how it ranks. Think of it this way. As long as you get a C in school, you pass. you met the minimum requirement. A good example of minimum requirement to pass is when the IIHS tested the American Muscle cars. The Dodge Challenger passed federal but not really that great. As we know people don;t buy a Challenger for crash worthiness. People will buy an Elio for one of their reasons because it has been heavily advertised the safety of their car for 6 years as opposed to Dodge, who does not for the Challenger.
Elio hasn’t been able to virtually design/engineer an Elio, build it, test and/or validate the vehicle or the engine beyond the dyno testing during my decade in the virtual world of three wheeler vehicle startups. Arcimoto and Electra Meccanica have virtually design/engineered, tested, and successfully completed the final R&D milestone with production vehicles and customer deliveries. Sondors has ‘virtually’ designed, engineered, and hand built an impressive prototype. Sondors is moving quickly and cost effectively into the testing phase of R&D.

Last edited:

RSchneider

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Elio hasn’t been able to virtually design/engineer an Elio, build it, test and/or validate the vehicle or the engine beyond the dyno testing during my decade in the virtual world of three wheeler vehicle startups. Arcimoto and Electra Meccanica have successfully completed the final R&D milestone with production vehicles and customer deliveries. Sondors has ‘virtually’ designed, engineered, and hand built an impressive prototype. Sondors is moving quickly and cost effectively into the testing phase of R&D.
Elio has virtually crashed and tested their car but it was back in 2015 with the wrong chassis. So, I assume the SEC keeps them from releasing any video on crash testing with the new unibody, thus the reason why you won't find any info on it.

If you read the blog, it's more forward thinking and they are using their crystal ball to predict what insurance companies will do. Here's the proof:

The Elio most likely be insured as a motorcycle
we anticipate that the Elio will be very, very affordable to insure

Forward thinking cannot be used as fact. It will make you feel better but until you get to reality, it's all talk and even Elio admits that through their wording.
Elio does say this:
Each insurance company uses a slightly different calculation, but the main way to calculate a rate is by looking at a vehicle’s safety rating, it’s cost to replace, and the cost of parts.
So, using this equation, the Elio is engineered to the highest safety standards through the Elio Safety Management System

I cannot find any information as to what the Elio Safety Management System is according to any set specifications. They might as well say, "So, using this equation, the Elio is engineered to the highest safety standards through the Cookie Monster Safety Management System."

On a side note, Elio needs to get someone that knows the English language because they are getting pretty bad and some of the phrases make no sense. For example, I don't know of anyone in the US that uses this statement:
Thanks for your support and have a lucky weekend!

Also, just read the first quote I posted out loud and tell me if it sounds wrong. I know that many will jump on my case for bad English but I will make it perfect if all of you send me $1K non refundable. I can pay someone to make it right.

Samalross

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Elio has virtually crashed and tested their car but it was back in 2015 with the wrong chassis. So, I assume the SEC keeps them from releasing any video on crash testing with the new unibody, thus the reason why you won't find any info on it.

If you read the blog, it's more forward thinking and they are using their crystal ball to predict what insurance companies will do. Here's the proof:

Forward thinking cannot be used as fact. It will make you feel better but until you get to reality, it's all talk and even Elio admits that through their wording.
Elio does say this:

I cannot find any information as to what the Elio Safety Management System is according to any set specifications. They might as well say, "So, using this equation, the Elio is engineered to the highest safety standards through the Cookie Monster Safety Management System."

On a side note, Elio needs to get someone that knows the English language because they are getting pretty bad and some of the phrases make no sense. For example, I don't know of anyone in the US that uses this statement:

Also, just read the first quote I posted out loud and tell me if it sounds wrong. I know that many will jump on my case for bad English but I will make it perfect if all of you send me $1K non refundable. I can pay someone to make it right.
My son hires people online from India to do his business proposals, he pays $50.00. I think that Elio found someone for $35.

Elio Amazed

Elio Addict
Reaction score
My son hires people online from India to do his business proposals, he pays $50.00. I think that Elio found someone for $35.
I'd thought about that.

The individual answering emails and creating the momentums and blogs is likely the highest paid person at EM now. ;)

RSchneider

Elio Addict
Reaction score
My sister in law has seen a big cut in her stories she writes to get paid for. It's because 10 years ago everything was fine. Write a story, present it to various websites, they would have an editor check it and then they would take it with her getting paid for clicks. As of today, it's articles which are rehashed info that is written from somewhere in India (because they speak English but not American English). Now she has to write much more researched stories taking much more time for lot less money. In the end, clicks pay and just bringing out old info as new, works. For Elio, many of the blogs just seem to be off and this one in particular. What really got me was, one of my previous posts just indicated that it's the same one from 6 months ago.

Elio Amazed

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I still do not have my ELIO, but I almost feel like I got my money's worth.
Never seen a company take their customers for a ride like Elio does.

P.S.
Elio Motors Momentum v140 is out!
Yeah... Well... I heard that the Elio is so popular it's sold out and they can't keep up with the back orders.

Question. What if a Momentum dropped and there was no-one around to read it?
Would it still make a sound? Better yet, would it make any difference?

Ty

Elio Addict
Reaction score

Elio does say this:

The "Elio Safety Management System" is your anti-lock brake system and anti-skid designed around a three wheel architecture. They couldn't just crib a system from a four wheeler.

RSchneider

Elio Addict
Reaction score
The "Elio Safety Management System" is your anti-lock brake system and anti-skid designed around a three wheel architecture. They couldn't just crib a system from a four wheeler.
So why not call it the Polaris Slingshot Safety Management System then? They have ABS, TC and stability control.

Top Bottom