• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Friday Blog Is Out

Rob Croson

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Since we are talking about insurance, the IIHS has brought up a good point about bumper height not being the same for cars and trucks. What about autocycles?
There is no federal autocycle classification, so there are no rules regarding bumper heights for them. They are regulated as motorcycles, and will be required to meet motorcycle regulations. What kind of bumpers are motorcycle required? AFAIK, they aren't.

I also wonder because the Elio is half the width to get double the mileage, but what happens when there are the traditional rear enders out there? For example if just about any SUV rear ends your Elio. I know that for regular sedans, getting hit by an SUV or pickup and cause lots of damage. How would an Elio fare?
Lots of damage. Just like all the other three-wheelers that are going to be made. Solo's got the same issue. So do Morgans. And SRKs. None of these vehicles have federal-mandate-compliant bumpers.

3wheelin

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Since we are talking about insurance, the IIHS has brought up a good point about bumper height not being the same for cars and trucks. What about autocycles? I also wonder because the Elio is half the width to get double the mileage, but what happens when there are the traditional rear enders out there? For example if just about any SUV rear ends your Elio. I know that for regular sedans, getting hit by an SUV or pickup and cause lots of damage. How would an Elio fare? As we all know, you can be the best driver out there but you can't control what is behind you.

http://www.iihs.org/iihs/news/deskt...uld-apply-to-suvs-pickups-vans-and-cars-alike

http://www.iihs.org/iihs/news/deskt...s-produce-more-damage-and-higher-repair-costs
Come on RSchneider, use a little imagination well ya, it's half a car so half the damage! Honestly you ask too many questions nobody knows the answer even EM themselves. They don't have nothing to crash test.

RSchneider

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Lots of damage. Just like all the other three-wheelers that are going to be made. Solo's got the same issue. So do Morgans. And SRKs. None of these vehicles have federal-mandate-compliant bumpers.
Since we are talking about insurance, doesn't that mean that the insurance industry might charge more for an autocycle over a car just due to the increased amount of damage? Plus, a Morgan, Vanderhall and SRK are not 365/50 cars. Only the Elio is. Then for the Solo, you can't just pack up and do a cross country trip in it like you do in an Elio. When it comes to the insurance industry, the Elio is like insuring a Mirage. Plus, you don;t see the other autocycle companies pushing the cost savings with insurance over and over like Elio does. Morgan should advertise, "Cheaper to insure than a 4 wheeled car." We know it's cheaper because I doubt the typical owner racks up more than 2K per year as opposed to the typical Elio owner that does 15K per year.

Elio Amazed

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I doubt anyone here understands that at all.
Oh yeah. Right. Give us a little credit will ya? ;)

Concerning insurance...

The low maximum potential collision claim payout for an Elio will be a minor concern for the industry.
Usually the greater concern for the insurance industry is going to be the medical claims.
So, no matter how much EM says the Elio is as safe as a typical 4-wheeler...
If the insurance industry feels it's less safe than most 4-wheelers...
Well, you see where I'm going with this...

Last edited:

Elio Amazed

Elio Addict
Reaction score
If Virtual or simulated crash testing is acceptable to the NHTSA and the IIHS, then I guess it's good enough for everyone.
It's not.

It was the DOE loan guarantee program that said simulated mpg tests were good enough for them.

The NHTSA doesn't require (or care about) crash testing for MCs.
The IIHS may or may not be interested in EM's virtual crashes.
To keep everyone honest, they may do their own studies.

Last edited:
Top Bottom