• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Friday Blog Is Out

bowers baldwin

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Elio: Not Just a 3rd Vehicle, but the Only Vehicle You Should Own
March 9, 2018

This week’s Friday Blog is a guest post from Hari Iyer, Elio Motors Board Member and CEO of YOYO (joinyoyo.com), looking forward to where the automotive industry is headed and what it could mean for Elio owners.

I love cars. I love the roar of my GT engine, the bass of the stereo, 19-inch chrome turning heads, the surge of adrenaline while accelerating into curves, leaping into the driver’s seat on Sunday mornings, gripping the wheel and fantasizing about the endless possibilities of hightailing it wherever I want, whenever I want.

We all bought into that dream. But while on the one hand, the concept of owning a car is the ultimate symbol of freedom and independence, on the other there’s the reality — the expensive sticker price and payments, insurance premiums, the maintenance, the regular oil changes, rising gas costs and the fear of overpriced repair bills.

If you’re an average US consumer, you have most likely experienced everything in the above paragraph, plus the “joy” of the vehicle buying experience.

That’s what Elio Motors set out to fix. Elio’s hassle-free direct-to-consumer model and an innovative high mileage, affordable vehicle changes the entire landscape and gets rid of the headaches of traditional car ownership. But you already knew that.

You may have reserved an Elio assuming it would be your 3rd car. Your “AND” car. Something you’d drive to the grocery store, on your commute to work, or for short trips around town. Something you wouldn’t need to pay an arm and a leg for every month. And you’d be absolutely right.

But having been an Elio insider and now playing in the on-demand car services space with my startup YOYO (joinyoyo.com), I’ve had a chance to look at the industry from lots of angles and have thought deeply about this. I’m convinced that we have it backward. An Elio is “THE” car to own.

Here’s what I mean: we use our cars in fractions, but we buy them in whole numbers (can’t buy three-fifths of a car, now can we?). On top of that, most of that driving time (close to 80%, according to studies) is spent with no one else in the car. Which means that big sedan or SUV you bought because of an occasional family trip or when your folks come into town once in a while, is way overkill.

For most of your driving needs, an Elio is the perfect vehicle. It’s small, it’s affordable and it’s sexy. On those rare occasions when you happen to need a sedan or minivan or truck, you can always get one from an on-demand car service that will bring exactly what you need right to you. That particular industry is heating up, and there will soon be tons of on-demand services out there for you to consider. But there’s no Elio alternative. So in my book, because of its extreme cost-effectiveness, the Elio becomes the car you own, and everything else is a car you access. It’s the best of all worlds. You can drive an Elio most of the time as your one main car, and actually get 1/20th of an SUV, 2/7th of a sedan or 3/35th of a minivan, or whatever combination suits your needs on a given day.

I’ve run the cost numbers and would be happy to walk you through the logic and hopefully help you save some dough.

Here’s my challenge to you: Do the math for your situation, and see if it makes sense. I would love to hear your thoughts. You can find me here.

Watashiwah

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Elio: Not Yet Even a Vehicle, but Only If You Could Own the Vehicle !

These blogs really are getting quite funny. Now going back in the stacks and even resurrecting Hari! Hmmm, isn’t Hari’s other foot in the car sharing biz?? One primary one and half seater at home equals more renting!! Brilliant!

Last edited:

Johnny Acree

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Well, I don't see it work in for me. Rural area. Although, we do have a boat rental buisness here that is doing well. That makes sense!

Maurtis

Elio Addict
Reaction score
"On those rare occasions when you happen to need a sedan or minivan or truck, you can always get one from an on-demand car service that will bring exactly what you need right to you."

LMAO, seriously? If I were single or married with no kids, sure. But how many of us have more that two people in our households??? "Rare" occasions when you need a sedan? How rare is 4-5 times a week? Or are we supposed to have multiple Elios and take separate cars? Maybe make them hook together like train cars so only the person in front has to drive? LOL!

And how many of those on demand car sharing services work outside of major cities. And not East Kiester, but bedroom communities in the suburbs where a lot of us live since the city is way too expensive? In my area, 0.

I love the Elio as an "AND" car, but trying to really pitch it as the main household car is ridiculous.

Samalross

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Well, I don't see it work in for me. Rural area. Although, we do have a boat rental buisness here that is
Elio: Not Yet Even a Vehicle, but Only If You Could Own the Vehicle !

These blogs really are getting quite funny. Now going back in the stacks and even resurrecting Hari! Hmmm, isn’t Hari’s other foot in the car sharing biz?? One primary one and half seater at home equals more renting!! Brilliant!
Hard to tell if these blogs are real or put out by a disgruntled former employee.

RUCRAYZE

Elio Addict
Reaction score
WOW!! what great insights and plan, from another well meaning (hopefully) "innovator" of automobiles and the folks who use them.
he's a little late to the party, and will be competing with many other companies who already have fleets on the road. The idea they will deliver the rental ??? ain't gonna happen, but I'm happy he's happy.

It works well here in Seattle, and other "bubble cities", but not possible to house a fleet, and deliver. Hummmm, I see why Paul likes him.

4matic

Elio Addict
Reaction score
WOW...what a shameful pitch for Mr Iyer's vehicle sharing startup...

The Elio vehicle as your only car...for the majority of American drivers...that would be absolutely absurd...

The Elio saga is becoming very strange...

"Beam me up Scotty" comes to mind...

I sure hope this Friday Night Elio Blog is just intended to be a spoof...

Last edited:

RSchneider

Elio Addict
Reaction score
ESG Engineering:
Paul Elio - President
Hari Sankara Iyer - Vice President
Robert Glaspie - Secretary

Yoyo:
Hari Sankara Iyer - Founder and CEO
Robert Glaspie - Operations Director
Paul Elio - Advisor

From the Yoyo website:
"Car ownership is complicated - learn about the pitfalls here"
"The Future of Cars According to Yoyo"
"How we plan to cut driving costs by 50% for 10 million members in 10 years"

For early adopters, there's this:
"Through our Founding Member Reservation Program, we’re opening up a few slots for early adopters to help shape the future of cars with us"

Plus some investment opportunities also:
https://www.fundable.com/yoyo
https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/on-demand-pay-per-mile-car-subscription-service#/
https://www.crowdability.com/deals/weheartyoyo (Netflix for Cars)

Maurtis

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I think the idea of cars as a service has merit and I think it really will take off in the future. Once we have cars that can drive themselves and deliver themselves to your location, I think we will have a winner. I can schedule a car to pick me up in the morning and take me home in the afternoon. While the car is not needed it is servicing other people, getting maintenance, whatever.

If I need a car at any time other than my scheduled pickups I can use the app to call one to me. As long as the delivery time is not too long that could work out.

I think the Yoyo model could work for some people, especially those with short commutes, but not sure how well it is thought out. Yoyo intends on having companies donate their cars??? "Critically, this is not a capital intensive business: YOYO does not own the cars in its fleet. Its partners -- auto makers, dealerships, and rental firms -- contribute cars to its fleet."

Riiiiiiight...

Top Bottom