• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Friday Blog Is Out

NSTG8R

Elio Addict
Reaction score
They can hang a whale oil lantern on the front for all I care. Just build the damn cars !

Yeah...I expected to have driven the wheels off my first Elio, and be looking to buy another by now. :( I'm retiring in 3 years, so owning one after that would be pointless for me [84 mile roundtrip to/from work].

wizard of ahs

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Yeah...I expected to have driven the wheels off my first Elio, and be looking to buy another by now. :( I'm retiring in 3 years, so owning one after that would be pointless for me [84 mile roundtrip to/from work].
I've been retired and I'm still looking forward to putting miles on my Elio :D

airforceguy6

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I don't like their answer about DRLs. They would have been better arguing that it isn't needed than to tell people that they can simply turn the lights on and off.

Does this mean it won't have automatic headlights?

Carpet is now standard. I expected something like this to happen. Certain "normal" or "expected" features always get added.
Just emailed EM for the official word...but no real answers are found:

Jul 25, 11:14 EDT
Hello EM,
I had a question regarding the headlight design/functionality for the future Elio. In one of your recent Blogs, you included this comment about DRLs:
"Will daytime running lights come as a standard feature?
Daytime running lights will not come as a standard feature. While daytime running lights will not be standard, the upside is that everyone can control it themselves if you turn on your headlights every time you start up your Elio!"

My question is about the headlights on/off feature. To Federal standard, all motorcycles are required to have an "always on" headlight(s), and cannot turn the lights off while running. Paul Elio has previously mentioned in a recent interview that the headlight specs were unique because they had to comply with the brightness requirements of a motorcycle. So if they are brighter than regular auto headlights to meet Federal requirements, why are they also not required to be always on? (and have no on/off switch).

Also, another related question. Has there been any update or communications with the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration regarding the spacing issue of the headlights? I know other 3-wheeled vehicle companies (Polaris/Electra Meccanica) have been required to modify or include center headlights with their design.
Thank you for the information
Peter

The Elio Customer Experience Team (Elio Motors)

Jul 25, 17:21 EDT

Great questions Peter and ones that we are working on. As you I am sure know, the Elio is in a unique spot as to the classification of what we are: motorcycle (yes, federal, three wheels) Car (no, not in the eyes of the federal government, but yes in at least one state) and autocycle (gaining momentum in a number of states already). This makes each step an interesting one and we will let you know when resolutions are confirmed on your questions as well as what feels like 100's of others.

Thanks for the note.
Make sure to check out our blog at www.eliomotors.com/blog

Thank you,
The Elio Team

Johnny Acree

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Index of posted blogs

Staying in the Loop
July 27, 2018

Happy Friday Elio’ers! The summer can be an incredibly busy time of year. Between weddings, vacations, backyard BBQs and outdoor activities, it can be hard to find time to stay in the loop. This Friday, we’ll attempt to make keeping informed on the Elio a little easier. Below you’ll find a Friday Blog index from the past seven months!

The Vehicle

Two Important Topics

The Elio v. ____

The ESMS

An Elio Motors Medley

A Platform for the Future

Business of Elio

The Intersection of Practicality and Innovation

An Attractive Option For…

Elio: Not Just a 3rd Vehicle, but the Only Vehicle You Should Own

Decisions, Decisions…

Financing and Funding

DIY With Elio

Elio and the Sunshine State

Hitting the Open Road With Elio

An Easy, Fun Process…

Thinking Outside the Box

“Ensuring” Affordability

News

A Tour Update and More

Where is the E1c?

Elio Supplier Meeting

Live Stream This Morning…

A Picture is Worth a Thousand Words…

Miscellaneous

Bring on 2018

A Three Wheeling Friday

A Penny For Your Thoughts…

The E1c, Shirt Design, and More…

T-Shirt Contest

The Votes Are In…

Memorial Day 2018

What It Means

Thanks for your support and have an incredible weekend!

Johnny Acree

Elio Addict
Reaction score
The Elio Retail Strategy
August 3, 2018

Happy Friday Elio’ers! It may seem hard to believe, but a new season finally began last night. We are, of course, talking about the kickoff of the NFL season that took place last night. Sure, it may just be preseason, and the stars and starters are seeing more time on the bench than on the field, but it’s a start. If the NFL doesn’t quite do it for you, the start of the college football season is only 22 days away! We’re not sure about you, but there’s something comforting about having football on the TV. Happy Football season!

In past Friday Blogs, we have talked quite a bit about the process of ordering an Elio. Ultimately, our plan is to have 120 retail centers across the country. We have outlined how the process will work for both reservation holders and the general public. Today we’re going to take a closer look at the locations of the retail centers.

As we mentioned, we plan on having around 120 retail centers. Most of these centers will be located in the top 60 United States markets based on population. Below is a map that gives an idea of the locations for our retail centers:

Our goal is to make buying an Elio a breeze, no matter where the customer is in the country. We plan on having at least one retail center in each of the top 60 US markets. Some of these markets, like New York City and Los Angeles, will more than likely have several retail centers to provide adequate coverage for those areas. Please note that the above map is subject to change as we continue to develop our final retail strategy.

As we work through this process, we thought we might reach out to our reservation holders and supporters for their input. As a group, you are evenly represented across the country and we figured you know your area better than anyone else. If you have any suggestions or feedback on a great location for an Elio retail center, feel free to email us at tellmemore@eliomotors.com. Keep in mind that our locations will be unique- our stores will more resemble a tech store than a traditional car lot. Each time we’ve asked for feedback in the past, we’ve been blown away by the responses- we look forward to reading your suggestions and thoughts!

In case you missed it, this past week’s Momentum covered some recent progress that is taking place in Shreveport. Last week, the leads for several of our supplier partners met with our manufacturing employees and engineers and to talk about the strategic milestones of integration as the project moves forward. Here’s the link to the Momentum.

Thanks for your continuing support!

mkiker2089

Elio Addict
Reaction score
They have a prospective shop eerily close to my home. I don't think it's a Pep Boys as they are scarce where I live. Of course I know it's just a general location and nothing in stone but it would be nice to have one so close when the day comes.

Trusting

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I posted the following over two years ago. I have no idea if the Elio people even saw it, let alone paid any attention. Anyway, here it is again for what it's worth.

Have you ever taken a look at the proposed store locations on the EM web site? I just did and was astounded at what I saw. In the Texas section they posted "Houston-Sugarland-Baytown". Baytown! Really! They have to be kidding. If you're not from this area let me clue you in. Baytown is located on the far east side of Houston. You know, the side of town that everyone who doesn't live there avoids every chance they get. Most of the natives of Baytown wouldn't drive any thing where they can't mount a gun rack across the rear window. It's nothing but refineries, chemical plants, toxic waste dumps and two bit redneck peckerwoods. I would put an Elio store in downtown Kabul before one in Baytown.
Come on Elio people, do your homework, don't just look at a map. In the Houston area I suggest Katy and Sugarland, both being among the fastest growing and most prosperous cities in the country. If you want a third store in the area the smart choice would the "The Woodlands", prosperous, middle to upper income families, tremendous growth and huge numbers of residents driving long distances into Houston to work. Plus it's on the opposite side of the city from Katy and Sugarland. These three locations would cover the north, west and southwest. The center will take care of itself. And, for god sake, forget the east side....

I've lived in this town my whole life and think I know what I'm talking about. You're welcome.

What choices have they made for your area?

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
I got a teaser, a location in Oregon, but there is no sales tax in Oregon.
It's only 26 miles away, but it's an hour drive during off-traffic time.
During traffic time, forget it, you would be better off waiting for traffic to clear out, it would be about the same amount of time.
Then there is a place in Washington, but it's 170 miles north of where I live.

Anyway, I plan on doing all my own work, unless it's something major.
I'm a certified mechanic so I don't see any problems, I might have to open a shop for this area; Washington is the #4 state for pre-orders

Looking at their maps, WA and OR are the only two dealer (for the lack of a better term) points for Elio's.
Idaho, Montana, North and South Dakota, nothing (N&S Dakota I didn't even see any presales)

Travelbuzz1

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I got a teaser, a location in Oregon, but there is no sales tax in Oregon.
It's only 26 miles away, but it's an hour drive during off-traffic time.
During traffic time, forget it, you would be better off waiting for traffic to clear out, it would be about the same amount of time.
Then there is a place in Washington, but it's 170 miles north of where I live.

Anyway, I plan on doing all my own work, unless it's something major.
I'm a certified mechanic so I don't see any problems, I might have to open a shop for this area; Washington is the #4 state for pre-orders

Looking at their maps, WA and OR are the only two dealer (for the lack of a better term) points for Elio's.
Idaho, Montana, North and South Dakota, nothing (N&S Dakota I didn't even see any presales)
I ordered my Elio while I was in Dakhla, Western Sahara Africa in May of 2014 and now I am a resident of Sioux Falls, South Dakota. The country of Western Sahara is a disputed territory in the Maghreb region of North Africa, partially controlled by the self-proclaimed Sahrawi Arab Democratic Republic and partially Moroccan-occupied, bordered by Morocco proper to the north. CAMELS ARE MUCH CHEAPER AS THEY ONLY USE WATER!....Besides you can make a burger out of them and you can not do it with an ELIO.
camel.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom