• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Friday Blog Is Out

Trusting

Elio Addict
Reaction score
My strip mall response was straight from Elio. They are looking to utilize underutilized strip mall areas where they can have a car or two parked in the parking lot in view of the store. Potential customers could take a test ride and then go into the store and check out how the options look and then order at kiosks. There will be no haggling over price and the ordered Elio would be available at the store the next day. So, a traditional mall wouldn't work well as the store employees can't be near enough to the vehicles. I don't see more than 3 or 4 employees per store at a time. Elio also said that their deal with Pep Boys was as a service center. It'd be nice if they allowed Pep Boys to also sell the cars. "I need a starter for a 1965 Mustang with a 289 V8, 5 quarts of 10W30, and a red Elio with a manual transmission with black carpet and no other options."

(that's not my configuration of choice)

The mall provides the traffic but the strip center provides easy access to test drives. Personally, I still like the mall idea better simply because of the volume of people seeing the car (in air conditioned comfort). "Serious" prospects should be willing to walk a few extra feet to test drive.

I suspect the biggest deal killer for going in a mall might be cost. I understand most malls not only want their monthly rent but also a percentage of sales.

Oh well, it isn't up to us, and besides we've already bought ours.... :p

Last edited:

Ty

Elio Addict
Reaction score
The mall provides the traffic but the strip center provides easy access to test drives. Personally, I still like the mall idea better simply because of the volume of people seeing the car (in air conditioned comfort). "Serious" prospects should be willing to walk a few extra feet to test drive.

I suspect the biggest deal killer for going in a mall might be cost. I understand most malls not only want their monthly rent but also a percentage of sales.

Oh well, it isn't up to us, and beside we've already bought ours.... :p
True on both counts.

Travelbuzz1

Elio Addict
Reaction score
My strip mall response was straight from Elio. They are looking to utilize underutilized strip mall areas where they can have a car or two parked in the parking lot in view of the store. Potential customers could take a test ride and then go into the store and check out how the options look and then order at kiosks. There will be no haggling over price and the ordered Elio would be available at the store the next day. So, a traditional mall wouldn't work well as the store employees can't be near enough to the vehicles. I don't see more than 3 or 4 employees per store at a time. Elio also said that their deal with Pep Boys was as a service center. It'd be nice if they allowed Pep Boys to also sell the cars. "I need a starter for a 1965 Mustang with a 289 V8, 5 quarts of 10W30, and a red Elio with a manual transmission with black carpet and no other options."

(that's not my configuration of choice)
Elio Motors have their choice of hundreds of strip malls that have vacant stores to choose from all over the US, Canada and Mexico if they need them. As far as PEP BOYS, they are not in all states and I am sure Elio Motors will have alternate plans for the future, they need to start out and re-adjust as they go. I can see PEP Boys only for service, so Elio Motors will have tunnel vison on just selling the vehicles with their options.

Made in USA

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Asked Elio some questions about showrooms - got response:

We are not necessarily going to only build new showrooms- we are keeping our options open and looking for the right fit for each market. Additionally, all of our centers will be Elio owned.
Thanks again!

Best,
The Elio Team

84mpg

Elio Addict
Reaction score
"Additionally, all of our centers will be Elio owned."

Well Ty, looks like you're going to have to talk them into letting you have a shot at opening a shop in Nebraska. ;)

Frim

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Elio Motors have their choice of hundreds of strip malls that have vacant stores to choose from all over the US, Canada and Mexico if they need them. As far as PEP BOYS, they are not in all states and I am sure Elio Motors will have alternate plans for the future, they need to start out and re-adjust as they go. I can see PEP Boys only for service, so Elio Motors will have tunnel vison on just selling the vehicles with their options.

An Elio store might actually increase strip mall traffic in our 50% occupied strip mall. We are getting a new I-70 exit ramp at that location

Elio Amazed

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Just emailed EM for the official word...but no real answers are found:

Jul 25, 11:14 EDT
Hello EM,
I had a question regarding the headlight design/functionality for the future Elio. In one of your recent Blogs, you included this comment about DRLs:
"Will daytime running lights come as a standard feature?
Daytime running lights will not come as a standard feature. While daytime running lights will not be standard, the upside is that everyone can control it themselves if you turn on your headlights every time you start up your Elio!"

My question is about the headlights on/off feature. To Federal standard, all motorcycles are required to have an "always on" headlight(s), and cannot turn the lights off while running. Paul Elio has previously mentioned in a recent interview that the headlight specs were unique because they had to comply with the brightness requirements of a motorcycle. So if they are brighter than regular auto headlights to meet Federal requirements, why are they also not required to be always on? (and have no on/off switch).

Also, another related question. Has there been any update or communications with the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration regarding the spacing issue of the headlights? I know other 3-wheeled vehicle companies (Polaris/Electra Meccanica) have been required to modify or include center headlights with their design.
Thank you for the information
Peter

The Elio Customer Experience Team (Elio Motors)

Jul 25, 17:21 EDT

Great questions Peter and ones that we are working on. As you I am sure know, the Elio is in a unique spot as to the classification of what we are: motorcycle (yes, federal, three wheels) Car (no, not in the eyes of the federal government, but yes in at least one state) and autocycle (gaining momentum in a number of states already). This makes each step an interesting one and we will let you know when resolutions are confirmed on your questions as well as what feels like 100's of others.

Thanks for the note.
Make sure to check out our blog at www.eliomotors.com/blog

Thank you,
The Elio Team
Clear as mud.

At least they responded.

RSchneider

Elio Addict
Reaction score
An Elio store might actually increase strip mall traffic in our 50% occupied strip mall. We are getting a new I-70 exit ramp at that location
One major thing you'll have to remember is that it'll be a zoning issue. The Elio Store will be a place to order the car, talk to someone, take a test drive and pick up your new Elio. So that's pretty much like a dealer. I suspect that the best idea for many areas is to lease a building in the dealer row where all of the dealers are at. That way you are right in the area where people shopping for a car will be and you have a much better chance with no zoning issues.

Top Bottom