• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Friday Blog Is Out

Trusting

Elio Addict
Reaction score
You must have missed this. It PROVES there is a demand for Elios over there.

Elio_Cartoon-i9.jpg

Travelbuzz1

Elio Addict
Reaction score
You must have missed this. It PROVES there is a demand for Elios over there.

Elio_Cartoon-i9.jpg

...When I was in a CAMP in the Western Sahara for 15 months there where women draped in shaws with a American Flag, I and others would not take any photos of them fearing for their lives, besides others who liked the US. Western Sahara was part of Morocco who in fact was the VERY FIRST COUNTRY IN THE WORLD that recognized the United States as a country after the US obtained their freedom from England. I have photos of myself with US military equipment from the US that Morocco purchase's every year from the US. The police of Morocco have BRITISH LAND ROVERS, so the ELIO is a GONENER.

Last edited:

Ty

Elio Addict
Reaction score
They have a prospective shop eerily close to my home. I don't think it's a Pep Boys as they are scarce where I live. Of course I know it's just a general location and nothing in stone but it would be nice to have one so close when the day comes.
It wouldn't be a Pep Boys because those will be the service centers. The stores will most likely be small shops in strip malls.

Made in USA

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I sent a some questions to Elio about what they want. Are they looking for upscale neighborhoods or poorer ones where many of their customers may be? Do they have to build new showrooms when there are other locations available? Will Elio Motors own the stores or will someone else? Are tax incentives very important or perhaps location? Where I live (Dayton Ohio), there are some poorer communities that would probably give a good tax break to bring in the business (Lots of empty strip malls). On the other hand, about three miles further you have the major intersection of Interstates I70 and I75. Still it won't matter unless they can somehow get around the franchise laws that prevent them from directly sell in Ohio.

Travelbuzz1

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I sent a some questions to Elio about what they want. Are they looking for upscale neighborhoods or poorer ones where many of their customers may be? Do they have to build new showrooms when there are other locations available? Will Elio Motors own the stores or will someone else? Are tax incentives very important or perhaps location? Where I live (Dayton Ohio), there are some poorer communities that would probably give a good tax break to bring in the business (Lots of empty strip malls). On the other hand, about three miles further you have the major intersection of Interstates I70 and I75. Still it won't matter unless they can somehow get around the franchise laws that prevent them from directly sell in Ohio.
There was a suggestion in one of these trends that "Costco" would be a good way to go and I noticed a "Walmart" with a car selling area in Rockford IL. where I am currently visiting.

Last edited:

Trusting

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Just a few thoughts on the above posts.

1. "poorer" people are often (not always) poor simply because they don't think very logically. I would suspect many would look at a new Elio for $8k and look at a crappy old Cadillac for $8k. and go for the Caddy every time. Fuel cost, maintenance, etc. wouldn't enter into it.

2. Costco sounds like a good bet as they already sell cars and have a customer base that is cost conscious. Problem is, not everyone is a member of Costco. Maybe they could exempt membership as a requirement to buy an Elio. Also, if you're not a Costco member, you don't go in Costco stores, so you are not going to see the cars like you would if they were on display at, say a mall....

3. I don't know anything about marketing cars, but like everyone I have two things, one of which is an opinion. I can't help but think that for Elio the best bet would be a tiny store space in a good mall located in middle to upper scale areas. Put a car in the mall out front of the store with an information sign (it could be just a shell , no need for a engine or trans). At Katy Mills mall they have these monument signs all over with scrolling video that would be prefect. I can see it now... the video would give all the specs with images of the engine etc, and video of the cars going down the road). The car would catch the attention, the info on the sign would hold them while they learn more, and the store front would be right there for those who are really interested. The really good prospects could get a test drive in the salesman's Elio which is out in the parking lot??? I have no idea what the cost would be to do this, but I can't help but think it would sell cars.

One other thought... Marketing research has shown that most people will not respond to an ad the first time they see it. On TV most people only respond after viewing the ad 40+ times. This is why the mall would be better than a stand alone store for the Elio. Better they see it ever week or two than come into a stand alone store, see it once, go home, and forget it....

Below is a link to what happened at Katy Mills five years ago when they displayed the Elio.

http://yourhoustonnews.mycapture.com/mycapture/folder.asp?event=1684539&CategoryID=4399

Last edited:

Travelbuzz1

Elio Addict
Reaction score
It wouldn't be a Pep Boys because those will be the service centers. The stores will most likely be small shops in strip malls.

Just a few thoughts on the above posts.

1. "poorer" people are often (not always) poor simply because they don't think very logically. I would suspect many would look at a new Elio for $8k and look at a crappy old Cadillac for $8k. and go for the Caddy every time. Fuel cost, maintenance, etc. wouldn't enter into it.

2. Costco sounds like a good bet as they already sell cars and have a customer base that is cost conscious. Problem is, not everyone is a member of Costco. Maybe they could exempt membership as a requirement to buy an Elio. Also, if you're not a Costco member, you don't go in Costco stores, so you are not going to see the cars like you would if they were on display at, say a mall....

3. I don't know anything about marketing cars, but like everyone I have two things, one of which is an opinion. I can't help but think that for Elio the best bet would be a tiny store space in a good mall located in middle to upper scale areas. Put a car in the mall out front of the store with an information sign (it could be just a shell , no need for a engine or trans). At Katy Mills mall they have these monument signs all over with scrolling video that would be prefect. I can see it now... the video would give all the specs with images of the engine etc, and video of the cars going down the road). The car would catch the attention, the info on the sign would hold them while they learn more, and the store front would be right there for those who are really interested. The really good prospects could get a test drive in the salesman's Elio which is out in the parking lot??? I have no idea what the cost would be to do this, but I can't help but think it would sell cars.

One other thought... Marketing research has shown that most people will not respond to an ad the first time they see it. On TV most people only respond after viewing the ad 40+ times. This is why the mall would be better than a stand alone store for the Elio. Better they see it ever week or two that come into a stand alone story, see it once, go home, and forget it....

Below is a link to what happened at Katy Mills five years ago when they displayed the Elio.

http://yourhoustonnews.mycapture.com/mycapture/folder.asp?event=1684539&CategoryID=4399
I just returned from "Walmart" which also has a "Auto Center" and went to the area where they are selling autos NEW AND USED. This company is based out of Florida I was told by the employee who works for them. ...CarSaver.com...in which you can include the US, Canada and Mexico for Walmarts. The area that they are selling these cars from is located in front of the check-out lines, it is as large as if you went to one of Walmart's eye vision centers. But...there is only one desk with one person in the middle of the room...odd. https://www.carsaver.com/en

Last edited:

Ty

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I just returned from "Walmart" which also has a "Auto Center" and went to the area where they are selling autos NEW AND USED. This company is based out of Florida I was told by the employee who works for them. ...CarSaver.com...in which you can include the US, Canada and Mexico for Walmarts. The area that they are selling these cars from is located in front of the check-out lines, it is as large as if you went to one of Walmart's eye vision centers. But...there is only one desk with one person in the middle of the room...odd. https://www.carsaver.com/en
My strip mall response was straight from Elio. They are looking to utilize underutilized strip mall areas where they can have a car or two parked in the parking lot in view of the store. Potential customers could take a test ride and then go into the store and check out how the options look and then order at kiosks. There will be no haggling over price and the ordered Elio would be available at the store the next day. So, a traditional mall wouldn't work well as the store employees can't be near enough to the vehicles. I don't see more than 3 or 4 employees per store at a time. Elio also said that their deal with Pep Boys was as a service center. It'd be nice if they allowed Pep Boys to also sell the cars. "I need a starter for a 1965 Mustang with a 289 V8, 5 quarts of 10W30, and a red Elio with a manual transmission with black carpet and no other options."

(that's not my configuration of choice)

Top Bottom