• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Friday Blog Is Out

Johnny Acree

Elio Addict
Reaction score

We Did the Math…
August 24, 2018

Happy Friday Elio’ers! We’re heading into the home stretch of the summer season. Football is officially back, temperatures are slowly becoming more manageable, and students across the country are starting the school year. The last fact gave us an idea: let’s do some Elio Motors math! If you suffer from arithmophobia or a fear of numbers and math, we’ll make it as painless as humanly possible for you.

Let’s start with an easy one. How affordable is the Elio compared to the average new and used vehicle? According to Kelly Blue Book, the average price of a new vehicle was $36,270 in January. At a targeted base price of $7,450, the Elio costs just over one-fifth of the average new vehicle, meaning you could purchase either one new vehicle or 5 Elio’s.

What about used vehicles? According to USA Today, “the average price of a used car rose to $19,657 in the first quarter, up 17.6 percent compared to the same period five years ago.” Consumers could either purchase one used vehicle for that amount or purchase one Elio and save approximately $12,207. These savings don’t reflect other benefits of purchasing an Elio over a used vehicle, such as a 3-year, 36,000-mile bumper-to-bumper warranty.

Now that we’ve already broken out our calculators, let’s calculate the true fuel savings of the Elio. Let’s say we’re going to drive from Detroit to New York, which is approximately 624 miles. The current national average for a gallon of gasoline is $2.82. The average new vehicle achieves 25.5 mpg, while the Elio will get up to 84 MPG on the highway. In an average new vehicle, it would cost $69 to make the trek. To traverse the same distance in an Elio, it would cost a cool $20. Oh, and there would be no need for stops, as the Elio’s gas tank holds 8 gallons.

Let’s take a longer view. The average driver travels 13,474 miles a year. Let’s use the same new vehicle we used in the previous example. In a year, if the average gallon of gas stays at $2.82, that driver will spend $1,490 for the year. Ouch. In an Elio, that driver will spend $452. It doesn’t take a math savant to see that the Elio can offer some serious savings of over $1000 – PER YEAR!

Let’s visualize the savings you can enjoy with the Elio:

Thanks for your support and have a stupendous weekend!

Marshall

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I'm looking forward to getting my Elio. But my math works out differently. I have a Prius Hybrid which actually does get 50 MPG in town and the last number I heard for the Elio was 49 in the City, so I actually would be better off in town with my Prius. Of course, on the highway, I only get 46 MPG so My Elio will save me about half.

The math is simple. Get My Elio(s) for the highway and save wear and tear on my Prius which I will use in town. It's still, an AND vehicle for me.

But for those who have been pushed into expensive used cars, it will be a very valuable option as long as it is at least as reliable as that used vehicle. That's not a very high bar for those struggling to keep their beater working.

Come on Paul! Get the funding together and make my 2020 Elio. (even if I get mine in 2021 - NO SIL(s))

DikiJ

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I posted the following over two years ago. I have no idea if the Elio people even saw it, let alone paid any attention. Anyway, here it is again for what it's worth.

Have you ever taken a look at the proposed store locations on the EM web site? I just did and was astounded at what I saw. In the Texas section they posted "Houston-Sugarland-Baytown". Baytown! Really! They have to be kidding. If you're not from this area let me clue you in. Baytown is located on the far east side of Houston. You know, the side of town that everyone who doesn't live there avoids every chance they get. Most of the natives of Baytown wouldn't drive any thing where they can't mount a gun rack across the rear window. It's nothing but refineries, chemical plants, toxic waste dumps and two bit redneck peckerwoods. I would put an Elio store in downtown Kabul before one in Baytown.
Come on Elio people, do your homework, don't just look at a map. In the Houston area I suggest Katy and Sugarland, both being among the fastest growing and most prosperous cities in the country. If you want a third store in the area the smart choice would the "The Woodlands", prosperous, middle to upper income families, tremendous growth and huge numbers of residents driving long distances into Houston to work. Plus it's on the opposite side of the city from Katy and Sugarland. These three locations would cover the north, west and southwest. The center will take care of itself. And, for god sake, forget the east side....

I've lived in this town my whole life and think I know what I'm talking about. You're welcome.

What choices have they made for your area?
Something on the east side would be convenient for us Louisiana Cajuns. It's hard for us to have to drive thru Houston to get to a service center. I have a friend who can fix anything that breaks on any vehicle including airplanes. He has done wonders on my TigerMoth.

RSchneider

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Something on the east side would be convenient for us Louisiana Cajuns. It's hard for us to have to drive thru Houston to get to a service center. I have a friend who can fix anything that breaks on any vehicle including airplanes. He has done wonders on my TigerMoth.
Elio has a service center in Louisiana. So you'll be fine.

Johnny Acree

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Endless Possibilities
September 7, 2018

Happy Friday Elio’ers! It’s one of the most wonderful time of the year. We are speaking, of course, of the official kickoff to the NFL season which took place last night. Sure, the preseason started over a month ago, but now the teams are playing for keeps. At the start of the season, optimism abounds and everybody, even the Cleveland Browns, has a legitimate opportunity to become the champion. Naturally, to be successful, there are a lot of “what if” scenarios for each team. This got us to thinking about a couple of “what if” scenarios that may pop up when owning an Elio. Without further ado…

What if… I want to change the rear tire of the Elio?

The answer to this hypothetical depends on if you’re a DIY kind of person or one that prefers to leave it to the experts. If you want to change the rear tire yourself, the rear wheel cover comes off with a few clips which exposes the rear tire and swing arm. From there, the process is similar to any other vehicle: jack it up, undo and remove the tire, put the new tire up and reverse the steps. If you prefer to keep your hands and clothes clean, take it to any tire shop that you frequent today.

What if…I want to add options after I purchase the Elio?

Generally speaking, option packages greatly benefit the automaker while leaving the consumer wanting more. We plan on changing that through our ePlus option program. If you want to add an option after purchasing the vehicle, you will be able to purchase the option either through us or through the aftermarket. Think of it like a cell phone upgrade- if your in-vehicle tech is out of date, you will be able to update the system without a ton of cost and trouble. The new option or system can be installed either by you or by an authorized service professional.

What if…I don’t like the idea of no rear window?

Simply put, a rear window is pretty impractical in the Elio. As our vehicle has tandem seating, a rearview mirror would only show either the backseat headrest or the occupant’s smiling face and not the rear window. But, don’t fear, the Elio’s slim design allows the driver to easily see behind the vehicle through the driver side mirrors. If, when driving the Elio you still want additional rearview visibility, a rearview camera will likely be available through ePlus.

What if…I want LED lights on my Elio?

As we’ve said in previous blogs, LED lights are unlikely to come standard in the Elio because of our targeted price point. That being said, LED lights may likely be available from other sources if demand is there through ePlus or through the aftermarket.

Thanks for your support and have a fantastic weekend.

Top Bottom