• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Front License Plates (if Required)

Mike W

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Colorado requires a front plate ..... I think the only vehicle I have with one is the motorhome. I do have a 'Ford Motorsport' plate on the front of the '64 Falcon 'vert, but I don't think that counts as a 'plate'.
So following suit, the Elio won't have a front plate either. ;)
I don't think I've seen anything registered as a motorcycle have a front plate in Colorado so I don't think they will go out of the way to print up a few hundred just for the Elios. Maybe after they start taking over the road, but they would have to switch the definition of car/motorcycle licensing to tack on another plate in front. I think if that did happen, the 1st generation Elio would probably have a good chance of being grandfathered ing.

skygazer6033

Elio Addict
Reaction score
The Elio is to have a Motorcycle VIN and be registered as a motorcycle. Most states regs state that once a vehicle is registered in one classification it can never be anything else. As of right now no front plate. However if it proves to be a problem later it could be changed. Hopefully all the early adopters will be registered as motorcycles prior to that happening. Since governments are lazy and it takes more effort to change regs than to leave things alone hopefully it will never be an issue at all.

Ty

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I don't think I've seen anything registered as a motorcycle have a front plate in Colorado so I don't think they will go out of the way to print up a few hundred just for the Elios. Maybe after they start taking over the road, but they would have to switch the definition of car/motorcycle licensing to tack on another plate in front. I think if that did happen, the 1st generation Elio would probably have a good chance of being grandfathered ing.
... which was the purpose of this thread.

Texconsin

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Okay, I know that Federally, it's still considered a motorcycle and that state-to-state, they'll decide on other regulations like helmets and tests, etc.
Here's a question that may be simple. Motorcycles don't require them, but some states require a front license plates on cars. For the sake of THIS topic, what do you think about placement for a license plate on the front of the Elio? It could eventually be classified as something that would require a front license plate in those states that require them on cars. There isn't much frontal area that wouldn't block the radiator... Just a random thought/question. Go.
Moot point since it IS a motorcycle and there's not a single state that requires a front plate on a motorcycle.

Side note: I won't buy a new car again, until Texas drops the front plate. They've just dropped the inspection sticker beginning in 2015 (annual inspection still required...the automobile and motorcycle repair shop lobby would't let that die) and maybe, finally, there are enough Republicans to get rid of the front plate. I don't know of too many traffic stops where a cop calls in a plate from his rear view mirror.

I guess I just can't stand a high school kid prepping my brand new car by drilling two holes in my new fiberglass front bumper OR gluing a dealer "advertisement" on my tailgate (both crookedly at that).

Last edited:

Ty

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Moot point since it IS a motorcycle and there's not a single state that requires a front plate on a motorcycle.

Side note: I won't buy a new car again, until Texas drops the front plate. They've just dropped the inspection sticker beginning in 2015 (annual inspection still required...the automobile and motorcycle repair shop lobby would't let that die) and maybe, finally, there are enough Republicans to get rid of the front plate. I don't know of too many traffic stops where a cop calls in a plate from his rear view mirror.

I guess I just can't stand a high school kid prepping my brand new car by drilling two holes in my new fiberglass front bumper OR gluing a dealer "advertisement" on my tailgate (both crookedly at that).
It's only a moot point till New Mexico adds autocycle to the books which could require a front plate. And, yes, that change is in work right now. On the lucky side, NM doesn't require front plates on cars either. Now, as the Two-plate states change laws to include autocycles and legislation is enacted to not require helmets in Eli is, it isn't much of a stretch to think they could also require plates since they are remaking the laws already. They could say "Enclosed three wheel vehicles utilizing car style controls must display license plates in the front and rear."

zelio

Elio Addict
Reaction score
It's only a moot point till New Mexico adds autocycle to the books which could require a front plate. And, yes, that change is in work right now. On the lucky side, NM doesn't require front plates on cars either. Now, as the Two-plate states change laws to include autocycles and legislation is enacted to not require helmets in Eli is, it isn't much of a stretch to think they could also require plates since they are remaking the laws already. They could say "Enclosed three wheel vehicles utilizing car style controls must display license plates in the front and rear."
That would mean additional cost to the state because they will either have to make pairs of mc license plates for the small percentage of Elios. Or they will have to create an entirely new category and create plates for autocycles. I could be wrong but I suspect they can't force a car license plate be put on a vehicle with a mc vin. It would probably be against some kind of law somewhere. LOL :-) Z

RUCRAYZE

Elio Addict
Reaction score
That would mean additional cost to the state because they will either have to make pairs of mc license plates for the small percentage of Elios. Or they will have to create an entirely new category and create plates for autocycles. I could be wrong but I suspect they can't force a car license plate be put on a vehicle with a mc vin. It would probably be against some kind of law somewhere. LOL :) Z

don't think it will be too big an expense, the convicts don't have unions!!

zelio

Elio Addict
Reaction score
don't think it will be too big an expense, the convicts don't have unions!!
That may be true but metal and paint still cost money. Do convicts still make license plates? When I lived in Reno I learned that stretch limos were made by convicts in Nevada. The convicts in the Milan, MI mens federal penitentiary used to make cabinets and other office furniture for federal offices back in the early 1980s. They did some very beautiful work. :-) Z

Top Bottom