• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Front License Plates (if Required)

Ty

Elio Addict
Reaction score
That would mean additional cost to the state because they will either have to make pairs of mc license plates for the small percentage of Elios. Or they will have to create an entirely new category and create plates for autocycles. I could be wrong but I suspect they can't force a car license plate be put on a vehicle with a mc vin. It would probably be against some kind of law somewhere. LOL :) Z
The plates here are silk screened and they do charge for them.

Neal

Elio Addict
Reaction score
a, florida requires only one plate both for MC and autos
b. we are perhaps the state that has at least 20 different options($) to support many different organizations

Texas has that, too. They even have specialized plates for some out of state colleges. I can get a Texas plate that commemortaes the University of Oklahoma. As a Sooners fan, I find it funny.

Hog

Elio Addict
Reaction score
This is interesting because front plates could soon be required for all vehicles, due primarily to the newly introduced plate reading systems being deployed, and since your plate could not be scanned if it was backed into a parking space, I see this as a real possibility. The early motorcycles in Europe had front plates mounted on the front fender (perpendicular) so they could be read from either side.

Motorcycle-Chariot-Racing-01-600x412.jpg

OctoberGlory

Elio Addict
Reaction score
This is interesting because front plates could soon be required for all vehicles, due primarily to the newly introduced plate reading systems being deployed, and since your plate could not be scanned if it was backed into a parking space, I see this as a real possibility...

I agree with you. I've only seen a few squad cars in the Atlanta area over the past year with license plate scanner, but more are sure to follow.

Coming soon to your city...
628x471.jpg

JEBar

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
This is interesting because front plates could soon be required for all vehicles, due primarily to the newly introduced plate reading systems being deployed, and since your plate could not be scanned if it was backed into a parking space, I see this as a real possibility.

with motorcycles, I agree with the word possibility but don't believe that there is a high probability .... I believe that the motorcycle industry and most motorcycle owners (AKA voters) would put up a very strong resistance to any such change in the law

Jim

Mark Ambrose

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Okay, I know that Federally, it's still considered a motorcycle and that state-to-state, they'll decide on other regulations like helmets and tests, etc.
Here's a question that may be simple. Motorcycles don't require them, but some states require a front license plates on cars. For the sake of THIS topic, what do you think about placement for a license plate on the front of the Elio? It could eventually be classified as something that would require a front license plate in those states that require them on cars. There isn't much frontal area that wouldn't block the radiator... Just a random thought/question. Go.
I hate front license plates. Spoils the whole front end. I routinely removed them from my Miata's (and was warned by police once about it). I frankly don't understand the logic behind the front license plate requirement. When was the last time the cops had a high speed pursuit of someone going backward? Interestingly the after market suppliers were ingenious in developing a fold away license bracket for the Miata's. At speed the license plate folded back under the lip of the opening. When stopped it sprang back up into place. I would suspect to see something like this for the Elio if there was much demand for it.

Mike W

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I don't think the materials themselves would be a huge cost, it's all the administrative cost. Everything that has to change below the surface is where a lot of the costs are.

Top Bottom