• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Front Wheel Track

Mark Ambrose

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Not a pretty sight. That is to say that a 4 wheeled vehicle being made to tip up on 2 wheels still steers true right or left readily. Tipping up on one wheel with a 3 (up front) wheel geometry automatically induces an unwanted and unexpected turning of the vehicle toward tipped wheel. Sure one can compensate for turning tendency but only with well trained lightning reflexes. The lesson to learn; design for a low center of gravity and the widest designable wheel base to keep both the front wheels down and working at all times. " No Tipping please."

If someone is driving the Elio (or any vehicle for that matter) aggressively enough where its tipping the vehicle over I'd suggest they have problems not associated with the vehicle design. Additionally I would think that the single rear wheel would 'break away" and slide before the vehicle tipped thereby having an increased margin of safety over a 4-wheel design. Having said that nothing short of an under-powered Abrams tank can be made idiot proof. Someone, somewhere will flip this vehicle, but I would expect the roll cage and overall light weight of the vehicle to render this a non-lethal event.

CompTrex

Elio Addict
Reaction score
A smart car has a width of 50.5 inches cl of tire to cl of tire. The Elio is 60". I wonder why they gave this vehicle such a wide stance. It really isn't a small vehicle when you consider the footprint that it takes up. The cabin is small, but the car itself is long and wide. If they would have taken the smart car's narrow stance and built the same small cabin, then the wheels could be incorporated into the body and not stuck out like they are. (Though I personally think it's cool looking!) If it were designed to be narrower, the drive through issue goes away. The 'will I run into something with the outside tire' issue goes away. I'm sure it was considered, but it would be interesting to know how they settled on the wide stance.

Neal

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I'm no engineer and this is totally speculation. I think for stability, since there's only on wheen in the back, that a wide front was needed. I see videos of older 3 wheelers and they are bad when it comes to tipping over during tight turns. A wide front and a low center of gravity makes it much more stable.

CompTrex

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I'm no engineer and this is totally speculation. I think for stability, since there's only on wheen in the back, that a wide front was needed. I see videos of older 3 wheelers and they are bad when it comes to tipping over during tight turns. A wide front and a low center of gravity makes it much more stable.

Yeah, I thought about that as well. Very likely this is the reason.

CompTrex

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Yes, it is very wide. I built a 20 foot wide garage with a 12 foot door a couple years ago. I don't think I'll be able to get her in there with the other car. Plan B is to put up a car port next to the garage.

Your cost of ownership of the Elio just went up, huh?
Funny. I tried this on my wife a while back.
"Honey, I need to buy a tractor with an PTO auger attachment"
"Why do you need that?"
"So I can dig the footers for a barn."
"Why do you need a barn?"
"Where else am I going to put my tractor?"
Yeah...didn't work...

Neal

Elio Addict
Reaction score
"Why do you need that?"
Yeah...didn't work...
That logic is solid! lol

JEBar

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
"Why do you need that?"
Yeah...didn't work...

impeccable logic .... unfortunately most women are emotional, not logical

(said ducking and running for cover :eek: )

Jim

Smitty901

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Stability length compared to width . It will not take long and like any vehicle you will not have any issue with where the tries are. Door on the bike room is 52 inches wide so it will not be parked with the motorcycles.
Please stop calling the smart car a smart car it is a dumb car. Nothing smart about them.

Top Bottom