• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Full Catalog 3 Wheelers Thread

AriLea

Elio Addict
Reaction score
So here is another interesting spot that shows too little traction on a RWD RT, look at 11:25, 11:27 and 11:34 into the video,,,

11:25, seems not too bad, he just spins it while locking the front breaks,
11:27, but then after he has let go of the breaks, it takes a little too long to dig in and get going.
11:34, but here he just seems to be moderately accelerating from the stop, and it looses it for 1/2 sec

Also given the wide tires at the front and light loading, watch out for hydroplaining.

It's a beatiful build, but a death trap if an idiot drives it.

In other videos of RWD RT's, ones that do have more rear traction, there is the issue that during acceleration within a turn, the body rolls slighly. This reduces the rear tread compliance to the road. Then if it looses adheasion and slips, the body flatens out suddenly and regains the full patch on the ground, then grabs again. Then back to body roll. These shifts can happen inside segments of a second. All kinds of unpredictable behavior happens during those dynamic shifts that a driver cannot anticipate.

Full disclosure, lol, I just noticed comments by Detalidon Research under the video in YouTube.com. Ahhhmmm, He is Me.

Last edited:

AriLea

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I feel it's way too wide. It's go a very low CoG, one of the advantages of an EV, so take advantage of that and keep it narrow and practical.

Personally I have no interest in driving something so small and low on the road when even Toyota Corollas monster you.
Yep, everything has gotten much taller since the 1980's. And everyone does feel that way, like hating to sit down in a bath tub while missles flash past in all directions. The only saving grace for a low-slung 3 wheeler is driving in the diamond lane.

I look at wide bodied big-butt cars from the 1970's, and I notice that modern sedans like my Corrolla, make them look dinky. Even it's shadow foot-print covers just about the same area as a large format 4 door from back then. Just the fender points from cars now are drawn in a bit, and shapped better for the wind, of course. And the trunk has been sucked back to between the rear tires just a bit.

It is a self inflicted wound. The taller we get, the more everyone wants to rise above that. That will continue to happen while roll-overs are not all that noticable. The Firestone tire issue a few years ago seems to have slowed that down, but that has been off the table a while.

But it is definately a matter of what you are used to, and what you will accept.

I mean, below are theoretical maximums for high effciency electric commuter cars. (a.k.a. California Commuter Car II) The one on the left is where everyone wants super effcency, and not too worried about that bath-tub feel. The one on the right is less efficient being heavier and a slightly bigger overall profile. But accomidates being up higher. It's also less safe for everything except seeing more around the traffic. Which admittedly is no small issue. (Here, I'm ignoring that Lit Motors geo-stabalized 2 wheeler, too expensive...unitl after 2026...)

1682955743896.png

Someone else promoting the streetliner type like a Tracer, MonoRacer, Moonracer (2 years ago)

Added later: C2C by Doug Malewicki

1682972901864.png
1682973068482.png

Last edited:

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Yep, everything has gotten much taller since the 1980's. And everyone does feel that way, like hating to sit down in a bath tub while missles flash past in all directions. The only saving grace for a low-slung 3 wheeler is driving in the diamond lane.

I look at wide bodied big-butt cars from the 1970's, and I notice that modern sedans like my Corrolla, make them look dinky. Even it's shadow foot-print covers just about the same area as a large format 4 door from back then. Just the fender points from cars now are drawn in a bit, and shapped better for the wind, of course. And the trunk has been sucked back to between the rear tires just a bit.

It is a self inflicted wound. The taller we get, the more everyone wants to rise above that. That will continue to happen while roll-overs are not all that noticable. The Firestone tire issue a few years ago seems to have slowed that down, but that has been off the table a while.

But it is definately a matter of what you are used to, and what you will accept.

I mean, below are theoretical maximums for high effciency electric commuter cars. (a.k.a. California Commuter Car II) The one on the left is where everyone wants super effcency, and not too worried about that bath-tub feel. The one on the right is less efficient being heavier and a slightly bigger overall profile. But accomidates being up higher. It's also less safe for everything except seeing more around the traffic. Which admittedly is no small issue. (Here, I'm ignoring that Lit Motors geo-stabalized 2 wheeler, too expensive...unitl after 2026...)

View attachment 26528
The FUV sits at the same height as my SUV with nimble/stabile performance. I had a reservation deposit on the Lit C-1! :)
1682957246897.png

AriLea

Elio Addict
Reaction score
The FUV sits at the same height as my SUV with nimble/stabile performance. I had a reservation deposit on the Lit C-1! :)
This may seem odd for me to say, but they could put a 4th wheel on it with another motor and bigger pack for higher top speed/accell, and then call it a DCFUV, or Distance Commuter - Fun Utility Vehicle.
Add the doors they have aviable, and more people would consider it as a full time freeway commuter. They just feel better with the 4th wheel.

I mean if more height just to make them feel better, then do the 4th for the feel as well. The engineering change is not all that much. But the unique jump-in-and-out personna remains.

RSchneider

Elio Addict
Reaction score
lol, yeh, I did that one just for fun. (as you know)
I know. I figured that since Paul reads this forum, he might have a new idea as the Elio-E doesn't seem to be getting the funding needed. Maybe the Elio-FCE (Flying Car Electric) might be the next thing he could introduce and bump up the stock price a bit.

Just thinking, the Elio-FCE is first built and sold in the tens of thousands. Then the Elio-E is built and sold in the hundreds of thousands. After that, the notorious Elio-G will finally be in production for the reservation holders. I'm thinking 2040 for that to happen.

I'd like to see an Elio VTOL. Make one with the electric motors rotate on the wings. So you can take off from your driveway and then fly to the Wal-Mart and land there. Do your shopping and go home through the air and avoid clogging up the highways. All while being super green.

Elio-D (Drone) might not be a bad idea. Just spitballing there.

AriLea

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I think for the Elio, the thing that would do the most good is producing anything at all. So a collector/sport version at $100k each maybe would generate some energy. That is to say, showing some profit, any profit, would be good right now.

Frankly, Bex's seating upgrade makes a lot of sense in a long-range touring luxury Elio. Many people want that range and will pay for it. At least for a limited edition. To keep everyone happy, produce 1 out of 10 as the regular Elio to sell to current reservationists.

I will believe Paul reads these when I see the evidence. But HEY, what do I know?

Last edited:

RSchneider

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I will believe Paul reads these when I see it the evidence. But HEY, what do I know?
When there is only one place left that is a forum which has your name on it, you know he lurks around here. He will not show himself as he's an expert at going into hiding. If I started a forum called Atlantic Owners Forum, I bet you'd be sitting there and seeing what people were saying.

So a collector/sport version at $100k each maybe would generate some energy.
That's a good idea. I'll even add onto that. An Turbo Elio hybrid with a hub wheel in the back all painted in Speed Yellow. Call it the Elio-S. Sell that puppy for $200K. Then a signature edition (Elio-SS) that's auctioned off with a minimum bid of $500K. It raises money and then they can claim they are in production. Maybe get some old actor to promote it. If Porsche can sell over 50 GT3Cup cars in the US last year, Elio could certainly beat that number and do it for $69K less than that non street worthy Porsche. Plus those Porsches are not collectors (yet).

Elio has so much potential as for getting absurd money for their product. Jerry Seinfeld and Jay Leno would 100% buy the signature editions. That's $1M in Elios pocket that would go straight to mas production. As for the BEX, this will certainly kill the market for it. So, we might not want to let Mark know what Pauls plans are.

Top Bottom