• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Funding Refused By Paul Elio

Thomas Maule

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I think we at least have a guess as to the demographics of those who have "bought in" thus far.
PE himself commented on the advanced age of a good portion of the early opters.
I'm still trying to figure out where his "affluent" comment came from.
Take a look at the ages of the active members here.
You can get a general idea of finances if you pay close enough attention.
How many have said they need this to happen before their clunkers collapse.

If you think that's biased for one reason or another...
Take a look at the people in camera range at most of the events.
As far as the people "buying in right now", I don't think the demographics are much different.
Will they change as things naturally progress and the product is on the street? I would have to say, "you betcha."
But right now, I believe that the majority of the early opters are an outstanding bunch of low to middle income old codgers.

The vehicle may very well be a part of our generation's legacy that we can be proud to have been a part of.

I agree...

Kuda

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Snipped: I would have to say, "you betcha."
But right now, I believe that the majority of the early opters are an outstanding bunch of low to middle income old codgers.

The vehicle may very well be a part of our generation's legacy that we can be proud to have been a part of.

Ya, sure you Betcha!
upload_2015-6-15_21-13-55.jpeg

Norahsbed

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I have given them $100 all in, gotten my T-shirt and bumper sticker, and put it on the back of my truck. Not all of us are rich like you... I am very poor, and need the elio to save me money, and would love to go all in if I had anywhere close to $1000 extra sitting around... This is not a game or a bet for me. I believe in the product, and need it. I am aware that this puts me in a minority of people buying into the elio dream... for most, this is extra cash and a fanciful interest during retirement...
Thomas, I'd like to guess that a lot of us have been in our lives, where you are now, living pay check to pay check. Some of us have figured out how to manage our money over the years so we have cash on hand to handle emergencys or make major purchases like our Elio without going back into debt. Hey it took us years to figure it out and stop using credit cards as an emergency fund.:rolleyes: I think Saving money with our Elios is a top priority for a lot of people and a major reason for purchasing this vehicle. Your " in " and that's what counts!:)

eddie66

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I think we at least have a guess as to the demographics of those who have "bought in" thus far.
PE himself commented on the advanced age of a good portion of the early opters.
I'm still trying to figure out where his "affluent" comment came from.
Take a look at the ages of the active members here.
You can get a general idea of finances if you pay close enough attention.
How many have said they need this to happen before their clunkers collapse?

If you think that's biased for one reason or another...
Take a look at the people in camera range at most of the events.
As far as the people "buying in right now", I don't think the demographics are much different.
Will they change as things naturally progress and the product is on the street? I would have to say, "you betcha."

I believe that demographic is because we seniors are the ones that have the disposable income to gamble on a vehicle for that hasn't been built yet. I'm sure that will change once production starts.

Chris F

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Is this saying only established companies showing this profitability can go public with an IPO? This would mean going public would be of no help in initial funding of EM. IPOs would only help EM expand after it is already established and in operation.ood revenues, a good product and assets.

Paul Elio said at Saint Francis University he would go public only if he had to. This sounded like he would go public to get the money for initial establishment of the company.

Now I am confused.

First, the best IPO candidates have revenues, are cash flow positive and are selling product. Second, an IPO is NOT for start-up money. That's what the private equity business is for. PE won't go public "unless he needs to", because he does not want to dilute his and other insider control. IPO money is usually for large-scale roll-out, substantial expansion or acquisitions.

AZElio

Elio Fan
Reaction score
I can afford to lose a $1000. The people that really need the vehicle do not have a $1000. They are living paycheck to paycheck. The idea of paying at the gas pump is great.
AZElio, welcome to the forum from your neighbor in New Mexico. Things are getting lively now that the P5 announcement is out. Great time to get involved with he forum. Enjoy the experience and the journey with us.
There are lifters and leaners in life and we have chose to be lifters. This project give me something to look forward too. I can't wait to bring it to the numerous car shows in the Phoenix area where the get in excess of 200 cars on a Saturday night.

Smitty901

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Remember they did close the bonus program , then they brought it back. Last year when we though we could see our ELIO's end of this year there was a lot of talk about reservations being cut at 40K. 40K has come a big miles stone reservation still being added and bonus program still in effect.
I could see reasons they would cut at least the $1000 bonus program at some point . But as of now the $1000 deal is a no liability deal for them, so it maybe around for awhile yet.

Reid3400

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I agree, and beg to differ. I think his stats are a bit off. I tend to think that the number of people who are in line because they "need" what EM is offering, is much higher. :cool:

If your need for a high mpg vehicle was great in 2008, it may have been wise to consider a Geo type vehicle which exceeds 50 mpg or equivalent 100 mpg on propane. PE did the initial research and purchased 16 re-manufactured Geo engines, which are powering all of the demo vehicles so far. I would sure like to know the actual mpg of an Elio with the Geo engine? For the simple reason it should indicate if 80 mpg is possible.

Top Bottom