• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Geo Metro/ Canadian Swift Engine

Who else would like to see the Geo Metro 3 cylinder rather than some exotic junky Eurupean motor

• I would choose the Geo Metro engine

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Maurtis

Elio Addict
Reaction score
... and Bugatti is owned by VW. Nice German engineering (with cooked-up emissions numbers - though no Bugatti owner would ever truly care about that).

To be fair, Mitsubishi got caught for cooking their numbers for the last 25 years too. Hyundai/Kia and Ford got dinged for overstating MPG recently. I got a refund check for my Hyundai Veloster's mileage variance and looks like Ford is in the process of issuing checks too.

Maurtis

Elio Addict
Reaction score
It's all starting to sound a lot more expensive and harder to maintain than old school and $8000. But I do like the pic of the supposed power plant. I saw it somewhere on here ?

What have you heard that makes the motor seem hard to maintain or expensive? Assuming you mean more than just oil changes. Are you referring to major maintenance like timing chain replacement and head work? If so, I would not think it would be any more expensive than any other car that comes out with a new motor. If Elio plans on putting out 250,000 per year, then there will certainly be tons of parts available for repairs too in no time.

This is not intended to be a low volume high cost production.

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
It's all starting to sound a lot more expensive and harder to maintain than old school and $8000. But I do like the pic of the supposed power plant. I saw it somewhere on here ?
You means this picture?
elio engine block demo front.jpg

12313957_10153784559902269_7431133144881311235_n.jpg

elio engine block demo back.jpg

Engine bay 2.jpg

ehwatt

Elio Addict
Reaction score
The biggest issue really is that the Geo/Swift engine is no longer in production. And that was the main reason that EM decided to design their own motor: they didn't want to be beholden to another auto manufacturer's supply of crate engines.

Could EM have aquired the licensing to produce a replica of the Geo Metro engine? Sure. That would mean they are paying money for the privilage of building a decade's old motor that was designed for a 2200lb, 4-wheel econocar.

Instead, by designing their own engine, EM gets:
  • Control over their own supply chain, ensuring availability of the engine for all their production needs
  • The ability to tailor the engine's features specifically for their car.
  • A secondary income stream by licensing the engine to other manufacturers around the world.
I'm really looking forward to seeing what other applications the Elio Engine can be put towards--in particular I am looking forward to possible Light Aircraft applications. The Metro engine saw a number of aircraft builds, and theoretically the longer stroke and low-end torque of the Elio engine would make it an even better option for an aircraft application.
I can envision a pure electric vehicle hooking up a small trailer that has an Elio engine/generator for road trips. Alcohol, LP gas, hydrogen, but NO petrol of course.

4950cycle

Elio Fan
Reaction score
Top Bottom