• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Happy Wife, Happy Ride!

BlioKart

Elio Addict
Reaction score
OK guys my first post to this site....

I'm interested in the elio as a mode of transport on a cross Europe excursion. Wife will be along for short sections but for the most part it will only be myself and any other friends in their own elios. I plan on picking up my elio in Shreveport and driving to a yet determined east coast port for shipment to Europe. I realize this is a dream but I'm fully committed to it. Once in Europe the trip will be along the north shore of the mediteranian from Gilbrator to Athens. No leg will be longer than 50 miles or so and I estimate the trip will take about 2.5 months. Certainly a trip of a life time. I'm retired so I have the time to complete this.

There are a few hundred questions I have but your feed back is appreciated. I'll pose my questions as an ongoing exercise. By the way this fits in the current thread since this is a question about a 3500 mile trip.

Regards,

RB Cooper

I have always wanted to do something like that. Elio would make a good candidate for your journey. I would take the Elio around the Nurburgring just for shits and giggles. I think Elio would look right at home in any European city.

I do plan to travel long distances in my Elio as well but only across the US I would like to take it to Mexico city for the F1 race one day.

wheaters

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Robert, Do it! Last year my son and I traveled down to the UK's south coast, took a sea ferry across the Bay of Biscay to Gijon in northern Spain, then drove across on a zig zag route into France via the Pyrenees mountains, up the full length of that country, then back home, sea ferry again across the English Channel then drove back up north.

It was around 2500 miles all in. We did it in just eight days!

P.S. we went in the car in my avatar, to the left of this post. :)

JEBar

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Robert, Do it! Last year my son and I traveled down to the UK's south coast, took a sea ferry across the Bay of Biscay to Gijon in northern Spain, then drove across on a zig zag route into France via the Pyrenees mountains, up the full length of that country, then back home, sea ferry again across the English Channel then drove back up north.

It was around 2500 miles all in. We did it in just eight days!

P.S. we went in the car in my avatar, to the left of this post. :)

you've mentioned the problems getting an Elio legal to register in England .... would those same concerns impact a person wanting to do what Robert Cooper is outlining

NSTG8R

Elio Addict
Reaction score
you've mentioned the problems getting an Elio legal to register in England .... would those same concerns impact a person wanting to do what Robert Cooper is outlining

I was thinking the same thing. If the Elio doesn't meet European safety standards, would you be able to ship it over there and cruise around?

Jim H

Elio Addict
Reaction score

I'm interested in the elio as a mode of transport on a cross Europe excursion. Wife will be along for short sections but for the most part it will only be myself and any other friends in their own elios. I plan on picking up my elio in Shreveport and driving to a yet determined east coast port for shipment to Europe. I realize this is a dream but I'm fully committed to it. Once in Europe the trip will be along the north shore of the mediteranian from Gilbrator to Athens. No leg will be longer than 50 miles or so and I estimate the trip will take about 2.5 months. Certainly a trip of a life time. I'm retired so I have the time to complete this.

There are a few hundred questions I have but your feed back is appreciated. I'll pose my questions as an ongoing exercise. By the way this fits in the current thread since this is a question about a 3500 mile trip.

Regards,

RB Cooper
Robert, welcome to the forum and the Elio family. I think your trip to Europe sounds wonderful. Having live in various parts of Europe for nine years I know there are some fantastic sights, great food and beers, and fast highways. Enjoy both the Elio experience and the journey with us.

outsydthebox

Elio Addict
Reaction score

Regards,

RB Cooper

Hey Robert, Welcome from E. Tennessee. That sounds like a wonderful dream! I do tend to agree with Reid, tho. The joy will be in the journey & the friends that you share it with. The Elio will only be a small part of it. Things in this world are changing so fast, if you wait until all of your circumstances are perfect, you may miss out. Health fails, accidents happen and countries go to war...and then there's ISIS...:eek:

Hotscoots

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I admire you folks who would get into a little car and drive thousands of miles . I am not that guy . I get annoyed when 7-11 is too far away from my current location . When I go thousands of miles , I am usually squeezed between a snoring type 2 diabetic and a lady who wants to show me pictures of her grandchildren .

Sidecar Bob

Elio Addict
Reaction score
When I go thousands of miles , I am usually squeezed between a snoring type 2 diabetic and a lady who wants to
show me pictures of her grandchildren .

That must have been me snoring, sorry.

I was sleeping were the ladies kids cute?

wheaters

Elio Addict
Reaction score

To be honest, I'm not exactly sure. My gut feeling is that it would be OK because the car isn't staying in the country permanently. UK residents are given a month to register a vehicle if the intention is to permanently import it. Before that time you can legally drive a vehicle on its "foreign" plates, as long as it is correctly insured here..

JEBar

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
To be honest, I'm not exactly sure. My gut feeling is that it would be OK because the car isn't staying in the country permanently. UK residents are given a month to register a vehicle if the intention is to permanently import it. Before that time you can legally drive a vehicle on its "foreign" plates, as long as it is correctly insured here..

info appreciated .... here again, I'm curious .... any estimate about what it would cost to ship an Elio type vehicle from the US to England

Top Bottom