• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Hot Off The Press: Intent To Manufacture Engines Signed With Linamar

Ekh

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I wonder how mush additional weight would be required to upgrade the block to counteract the additional compression required for a diesel? Does a turbo also require an upgrade?
I don't think the turbo version would require an upgrade. It's always been in the back of Paul's mind and everybody else's that this thing would scream with a turbo, and IAV engineered a hole and bolt holes into the engine specufically for this purpose. So obviously the engine itself is robust enough to support at least a moderate boost turbo. After all, it won't take a whole heck of a lot to change 55 horsepower into 70 horsepower and watch the little puppy scream. Arranging all the appropriate plumbing and the exhaust routings might get tricky, but I think the engine itself would work just fine with the turbo.

You all may recall that IAV was actively playing with a turbo for it before the first engine was built.

AriLea

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Typically yes. The IAV/Elio
motor is pre engineered to
accept a turbo. Hopefully in
the second year.
It will probably mean the turbo will be made available for other applications sooner. But that also serves to make it closer at hand for Elio's.

Something occurs to me. As you know this raises the stature of Elio stock. But it also puts interest in Elio success in front of people who invested in Linamar as well. EM could easily come up with some 'creative financing' because of this partnering.

In any case, a product that exports world wide with a viable business model plus visible profit, certainly makes EM more attractive to that AVTM loan and also to any domestic investors. Another thing, EM may well be better able to swing capital or gap loans from commercial banking.

So I don't think there is any reason EM has to hold off getting engine production up and running right now. They probably have the cash or financing to do that right now. As it was said, Linamar may well be kicking some of that investment into the game as well. And I don't think this news would have been put out unless EM+Linamar had already figured out it was financially doable.

Ekh

Elio Addict
Reaction score
It will probably mean the turbo will be made available for other applications sooner. But that also serves to make it closer at hand for Elio's.

Something occurs to me. As you know this raises the stature of Elio stock. But it also puts interest in Elio success in front of people who invested in Linamar as well. EM could easily come up with some 'creative financing' because of this partnering.

In any case, a product that exports world wide with a viable business model plus visible profit, certainly makes EM more attractive to that AVTM loan and also to any domestic investors. Another thing, EM may well be better able to swing capital or gap loans from commercial banking.

So I don't think there is any reason EM has to hold off getting engine production up and running right now. They probably have the cash or financing to do that right now. As it was said, Linamar may well be kicking some of that investment into the game as well. And I don't think this news would have been put out unless EM+Linamar had already figured out it was financially doable.
I think you're generally aimed in the right direction with this .... though how "easily" EM can come up with creative financing -- well, this may be a part of it. But so far, easily just doesn't seem to be the right term ...

It's possible that they've done this because the cost of hand-manufacturing 25+ or 125 engines is just too high -- might as well get a start on the mfg stuff now, if they possibly can, rather than pay for those engines twice over. Linamar sets this stuff up all the time -- they have their own lines and manufacturing capability, so they know how to do it. All around, this looks like a good deal for both parties and a really smart move by EM.

Ty

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I just tooled around Linamar's website. They don't use sprayflame hardening for cylinder walls. That'll have to be set up at Shreveport where final machining and assembly will have to take place.

Reactions: Ekh

AriLea

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I think you're generally aimed in the right direction with this .... though how "easily" EM can come up with creative financing -- well, this may be a part of it. But so far, easily just doesn't seem to be the right term ...

It's possible that they've done this because the cost of hand-manufacturing 25+ or 125 engines is just too high -- might as well get a start on the mfg stuff now, if they possibly can, rather than pay for those engines twice over. Linamar sets this stuff up all the time -- they have their own lines and manufacturing capability, so they know how to do it. All around, this looks like a good deal for both parties and a really smart move by EM.
It does make me wonder about the order of events. Perhaps this is resulting from EM shifting to engine production and not the other way. I mean the partnership may have been in the works for a longtime and only announced now since the engine thing is only now revving up.

Either way it's positive progress. Do you remember how in the past, even distant past, how much we all conjectured on how EM could sell the engine for other uses? How did we all come up with that? This is one place where the minions can't separate cause from effect.

Ekh

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Could be a good replacement for Rotax Engines in Homebuilt Aircraft?
That's why I wondered about the weight. Here's the spec sheet for the 65 hp Rotax (the closest comparison to the Elio engine). As you can see, the engine itself is very light weight, only 86.9 pounds. It's not apples-to-apples, because the Elio is fuel injected. Both the Rotax and the Elio engine would need reducing gear for the prop, so that's a wash (prop wash?), so I'm leaving it out of the comparison.

So, the Elio would weigh more but offer better fuel economy than the Rotax. Might be more durable, too.

I have sent the following query to tellmemore@eliomotors.com. I'll be interested in the answer.

How much does the Elio engine weigh?

A. With starter, fuel injectors, and alternator
B. Ditto plus exhaust manifold
C. Bare bones — block, injectors, water pump

The question behind these question is whether the engine would be competitive with Rotax for the small or personal aircraft market.

Top Bottom