• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Hurricane Harvey

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
All these cars are going to be flooding the markets as soon as they dry out a bit. Not a good time if your needing a used vehicle. Or is it?
Noooo you never want a car that has been flooded, bad, evil, Unh un.
The on board electronics go whacky, and they don't work worth a dam.
You never want a car that has been in a flood, unless you want a couple of tons of headaches.

Elf

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I think of all the great classic cars that are underwater especially the Corvettes .

That said life is more important than cars .It does my heart good to see neighbors helping neighbors in such a divided political nation .

JEBar

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
the news coverage of the devastation caused by Harvey continues to be hard to fathom .... stories of neighbors helping neighbors come as no surprise; in fact, it would be hard to believe that it wouldn't be happening .... seeing folks in private boats going house to house trying to help evacuate stranded people is heart warming indeed

Lil4X

Elio Addict
Reaction score
News coverage of the remnants of Harvey continues to be terrible - it's a sterling example of what happens when you hire models to think on their feet. Derek Zoolander has moved to Houston and is appearing as a local TV reporter. It's an embarrassment to the profession of journalism. Go stand in a puddle and whine . . . that's what's passing for reportage in Houston today. Be sure you're dressed by either Nordstrom or Old Navy.

Houston's problem wasn't so much the storm, but the rain that continues to fall in its wake. Having had well over two FEET of rain thus far, with the storm expected to continue over our city for the next WEEK, some sources (including the Weather Channel) are predicting a total of 50" of rainfall out of Harvey and her remnants. That's more than our average total rainfall for a YEAR . . . and we get it over a span of six days.

We've had no major flooding that I'm aware of in our neighborhood, although the north side of our subdivision is bounded by Sims Bayou and all of our drainage eventually ends up there. If the bayou's at flood stage, that drainage stops and water begins to back up from north to south through the neighborhood. Because Sims Bayou exits into the Houston Ship Channel without any intermediate tributaries, it doesn't flood often (once in my memory) and drains rather quickly. The Ship Channel is dredged from Buffalo Bayou, widening and deepening the waterway from a shallow stream to a deep channel that can accommodate large ships at the Port of Houston and empties into Galveston Bay. We're fortunate to have excellent drainage - made better by a number of county flood control projects that widened and straightened the Bayou, but sadly stripped most of the banks of trees and native undergrowth. It's not so pretty, but it works.

This morning, during my daily commune with nature (coffee on the patio), I noticed the Bayou is back near normal - or twelve feet of water in the channel - it barely touched the "bank full" measurement (26 feet) for a couple of hours early Sunday after hours of heavy rain. Thankfully, we've had only patches of drizzle with a few decent rain storms passing over for the past 24 hours, and that's been a great help to our local drainage. There are large parts of Houston that are in waist to chest-deep water - primarily in poorly drained areas and some in areas that should never have been built on to begin with. We have to remember that most of Houston was once flat pasture or rice fields, neither of which are particularly desirable from a flood control standpoint. Some very nice subdivisions have been built in "flood control basins", meaning that when heavy, persistent rains come, they're at the bottom of a reservoir that protects the downtown area. Those folks are now sitting on rooftops awaiting rescue from the Coast Guard, Army, and local first-responders, or thousands of volunteers who have stepped up to help.

Here's the sad part - some of our communities to our West, those built on the floodplain, are going to be intentionally sacrificed as the flood basins reach their capacity. Last night at 3am they started releasing water from distant reservoirs into these areas to keep dams from bursting and creating a larger catastrophe for the city. It's really sad to know that families with homes that survived the hurricane will now be intentionally flooded, sacrificed to prevent an even larger disaster. By midday, there will be as much as 8 feet of water in what were previously dry homes. Moral: before you build or buy a home, check with your local flood control district to see if you might be buying a home at the bottom of a lake.

Today dawned cool and damp at the old corral, with an unaccustomed stillness pierced only by the chorus of tree frogs who think they've died and gone to froggy heaven. It won't last - the remnants of Harvey are slowly moving back toward the Gulf to the South of us, where they are forecast to reorganize and strengthen a bit before coming ashore again as a minimal tropical storm somewhere near Galveston, then proceed up the Bay into East Texas during the week. So we're not out of the woods yet, but we're hopeful that the forecast track will take it far enough East of us to put us on the "clean" side of the storm with minimal rain and wind. So far, local forecasts for tomorrow are pointing toward winds in the mid-20kt range, with showers continuing as Harvey gets her act together again. That could change if the track moves toward us, or she sits over the Gulf long enough to re-intensify significantly. Our forecasts show we're going to continue to get more rain all week with no real letup until the following week. At least the flood threat is slowly falling - but the experts say it's going to take WEEKS for the accumulated water levels to fall back to near-normal. It isn't nearly over yet, but there is a glimmer of hope out there.

I'm curious, will the Elio be available with caulking for the passenger cabin and a paddlewheel option?

Last edited:

4matic

Elio Addict
Reaction score
IMG_4778.JPG
IMG_4784.JPG
IMG_4785.JPG
IMG_4786.JPG
IMG_4787.PNG
IMG_4788.JPG
IMG_4789.JPG
IMG_4791.JPG

The heavy rains from tropical storm Harvey are finally moving east of the metro Houston area...

The flood water damage will take months/years to repair...

A few of these storm photos are hard to comprehend...

My prayers go out to everyone that lost their homes in the storms...

Last edited:

Ty

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I don't know what you consider "strong winds", but 125 mph sounds like it'd do a number on your roof, trees, cars...pretty much anything not made of concrete. Throw a boat load of rain and "projected" 12' storm surge on top of that and it sounds like it's going to get ugly down there around the coastal areas.
You are correct. For some reason, I thought the wind speeds at that time were around 50mph where they were getting all the rain. It's no joke when mother nature flexes her muscles and reminds us that luck favors the prepared.

Top Bottom