• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

I Finally Saw It! My Takeaway And Concerns

Ernie

Elio Fan
Reaction score
Many thanks jp for your thoughts and review on the Elio. I found your observations and the questions you asked very informative. Great job! I was happy to see that you thought the Elgin dash looked good in person. At first I didn't like it at all. But after seeing some videos and hearing comments like yours from people that have actually seen it in person, I've started warming up to it. I'm looking forward to it now. :)

I did have one question that I'm a little unclear of though. You mentioned in line 10;

"10. All the optional body effects and skirts are a la carte, but no prices yet for options."

So are you referring to the Black plastic skirts surrounding all the wheels? Because those are the only "body effects or skirts" I see on the car. I would think that those are necessary to be able to achieve the proposed 84 mpg, so I'm a bit confused about this. If this is true I will have to up my options list to include them because I definitely want those on my Elio.

Thanks again for a great review!

Ernie

Elio Fan
Reaction score
Regarding the little video -- the dash is readable, but it does not communicate accurate information. The marks are BETWEEN the digits, and the digits themselves are spread out. I defy you to tell, by looking at the dash, whether you are doing 55, 60, 62, or 65. These are all values it might pay to know with some accuracy.

I agree. The scale on the speedometer needs to be re-worked. It doesn't need to go clear up to 140 mph. 110 mph should be more than enough. And the increments need to be more like 50 I 60 I 70 etc. instead of 50 I 70 I 80 etc. The space between 50 and 70 (for example) is just too short to reasonably be accurate. And some might mistake the line after 50 for 55, when they're actually doing 60. That should be an easy fix though.

[EDIT] I just looked at the video again and I see the speedometer goes clear to 200 mph! So there's plenty of room to reconfigure it.

Last edited:

Ty

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I agree. The scale on the speedometer needs to be re-worked. It doesn't need to go clear up to 140 mph. 110 mph should be more than enough. And the increments need to be more like 50 I 60 I 70 etc. instead of 50 I 70 I 80 etc. The space between 50 and 70 (for example) is just too short to reasonably be accurate. And some might mistake the line after 50 for 55, when they're actually doing 60. That should be an easy fix though.

[EDIT] I just looked at the video again and I see the speedometer goes clear to 200 mph! So there's plenty of room to reconfigure it.
Did you notice it actually goes to 200 kph which is about 124 mph? The Elgin that we'll get will be easier to read as there will be fewer numbers crowding the dial.

I see where it says MPH next to the numbers but the odo shows km. I read somewhere that the dial we will get won't go to 200 and the numbers will be selected a little differently.

JP

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Many thanks jp for your thoughts and review on the Elio. I found your observations and the questions you asked very informative. Great job! I was happy to see that you thought the Elgin dash looked good in person. At first I didn't like it at all. But after seeing some videos and hearing comments like yours from people that have actually seen it in person, I've started warming up to it. I'm looking forward to it now. :)

I did have one question that I'm a little unclear of though. You mentioned in line 10;

"10. All the optional body effects and skirts are a la carte, but no prices yet for options."

So are you referring to the Black plastic skirts surrounding all the wheels? Because those are the only "body effects or skirts" I see on the car. I would think that those are necessary to be able to achieve the proposed 84 mpg, so I'm a bit confused about this. If this is true I will have to up my options list to include them because I definitely want those on my Elio.

Thanks again for a great review!

No problem. If you go on the page
http://www.eliomotors.com/features/

You will see there are options for a spoiler, trunk lid, or ground effects. These are all extra options. The black plastic trim on the fenders and back of the car will be standard

Ernie

Elio Fan
Reaction score
Did you notice it actually goes to 200 kph which is about 124 mph? The Elgin that we'll get will be easier to read as there will be fewer numbers crowding the dial.

I see where it says MPH next to the numbers but the odo shows km. I read somewhere that the dial we will get won't go to 200 and the numbers will be selected a little differently.
Ah,.. I did not notice that the odo was in km. I just saw the MPH on the speedo dial. That makes more sense now. Thanks for pointing that out. I've warmed up to the Elgin idea. Kinda reminds me of some of the things they've done in the past with the older cars in an attempt to give the car a certain uniqueness. A bit nostalgic I guess.

goofyone

Staff member
Reaction score
Isn't the final production model going to have powder coated body panels instead of paint?
No. Powder coated frame, painted body panels.

Actually it is my understanding that the frame will take a rust protection coating bath and the panels will be painted using a 'dry process' and then baked. So even though these are more modern hybrid approaches the panels are closer to traditional powder coating and the frame is closer to traditional wet painting.
Division 3: Paint Division — Priming consists of the dip process of the body frame for anti-corrosion and the color side for painting the body panels utilizing an environmentally friendly “dry process.”

http://www.elioowners.com/threads/t...-update-elio-motors-manufacturing-plant.1402/

Reaction score
I was told this summer, at the dream cruise in Michigan, that the 3rd quarter schedule was going to be close to impossible because of the engine. I didn't want to believe it and choice not too. But, here is the same story posted back in February. Talk about transparency ! They've let us know all along. I am proud of the Elio team. Close to impossible is not the same as impossible ... only close, lol.

Top Bottom