• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

I Have Given Up On Elio, Have You?

Watashiwah

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I spent much more than 100 on many things and got nothing in return. I think most of us have. For the 100 on Elio, I got a shirt I still wear and a bumper sticker that I still have displayed on my truck (It actually held up really good).
Plus I have spent hours going over post on this site and the other (now gone) site, youtube, etc. Find it all interesting. To be honest, was a good 100 spent. And who knows, maybe will get 100+ off an Elio at some point.

I’m just grateful that Paul doesn’t have to climb roofs anymore and hope that Hari finally finds success in another start up and finally pins down that pesky ATVM loan....good luck, guys!!!

Gotta run, late for work....

Ty

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Not just them.
- Geeley - Sell the Elio through Volvo dealers. Established service, warranty, marketing and sales. Geeley already has a US plant, they could just built Elios there and just call it the Gelio.
- Polaris - Most experience of anyone when it comes to three wheelers. Established service, warranty, marketing and sales
- Harley - That company needs something to make them grow again. Established service, warranty, marketing and sales
- CanAm - Have three wheelers and this would help their US presence. Established service, warranty, marketing and sales
- KTM - They make tons of different things and can easily make Elio a reality. Established service, warranty, marketing and sales
- A Russian car maker. They are willing to make things different. They have tons of excess manufacturing. The just lack a presence in the US.

There are plenty of companies that are not subject to the Big 3 and Big Oil. Plus they have things in place and can sell in their home market too. The real question is, why don't these companies just crank out an Elio copy? They have watched Elio for 10 years and yet they just don;t do it.
None of those have the manufacturing capabilities to make the Elio in numbers that would keep it inexpensive. Geeley might have stamping operations but the others either have none or work in fiberglass.

RSchneider

Elio Addict
Reaction score
None of those have the manufacturing capabilities to make the Elio in numbers that would keep it inexpensive. Geeley might have stamping operations but the others either have none or work in fiberglass.
It's safe to say Geeley has stamping operations in Charleston, SC. Plus they created 1500 American jobs and will have 4000 in the near future:
https://www.media.volvocars.com/us/...manufacturing-footprint-with-first-us-factory

I bet each one that I have mentioned are Roush customers too. All they need to to is call Roush and say, "Make us a chassis similar to the Elio and then all of the body panels too. Then we will either supply you with a driveline or you can suggest one. Make us 10 prototypes. Here, I'll turn you over to Betty in accounting and she will start sending you money. Thanks." When that gets done and they are happy with the results, then the project gets turned over to their own R&D where it's tested, validated and polished up. Order goes in for all of the tooling and they buy a few steel stamping machines. Either expand an existing plant or use the excess capacity they already have. When that's done, they crank them out, sell them at their dealers where there's an existing parts, service, training and warranty in place. In the end, much cheaper than how Elio is trying to do it. Plus Elio has zero experience in unibodies and steel stamping. All the rest of the companies have plenty of existing engineering staff to figure it out. I bet a number of them even came from the car industry.

RSchneider

Elio Addict
Reaction score
At the moment, the Elio is a failure. So moving on, what if several failures were combined into a "new" concept. Remember the inflatable car? https://phys.org/news/2008-06-inflatable-electric-car-cliffs.html

Combine the inflatable with the shape of the Elio, add the electric drive. I for one would be interested. Anybody else?
Mix that inflatable car with this three wheeler and you hot a lot of hot air:
https://phys.org/news/2011-09-toyota-three-wheeler-mph-compressed-air.html

Then there's the three wheeled nanoroadster:
https://phys.org/news/2016-11-single-molecule-wheelers.html

skychief

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I finally retired my Elio shirt. It developed holes and was looking kinda ratty. So now it's used for cleaning.

And the bumper sticker hardened from year's exposure to the sun's UV and countless washings. So I removed it.

That's it for Elio. :rip:

Scotty Kilmer mentions mocks Paul Elio in today's Scotty Kilmer video (at the 8 minute mark)

Made in USA

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Out of curiosity I looked at the Elio website and at the top right there is a customer log-in. It's been a while since I logged in but it would not accept my password. So maybe I was using the wrong one? So I clicked on the "Forgot Password" to reset but they never sent me a response. Perhaps its a program error of some kind. Anybody else want to try their login?

Top Bottom