1. Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.
  2. Hate the new look? Click Here to learn how to go back to the old one!

I Have Given Up On Elio, Have You?

Discussion in 'General Elio Discussion' started by jdkeats, Mar 11, 2019.

1. BaldGuy

BaldGuy Elio Addict

I spent much more than 100 on many things and got nothing in return. I think most of us have. For the 100 on Elio, I got a shirt I still wear and a bumper sticker that I still have displayed on my truck (It actually held up really good).
    Plus I have spent hours going over post on this site and the other (now gone) site, youtube, etc. Find it all interesting. To be honest, was a good 100 spent. And who knows, maybe will get 100+ off an Elio at some point.

84mpg, Coss and Johnny Acree like this.
  2. SandyCWV

SandyCWV Elio Aficionado

Same here, 100 worth of entertainment. My only issue is that I have another 1200 in the investment side, that I never figured out how to put in my Fidelity account, so it is just out there wherever it lives. Or maybe it was absorbed into something. I did give up enough that I bought a new car last week.

84mpg likes this.
  3. Watashiwah

Watashiwah Elio Addict

I’m just grateful that Paul doesn’t have to climb roofs anymore and hope that Hari finally finds success in another start up and finally pins down that pesky ATVM loan....good luck, guys!!!

Gotta run, late for work....

4. Ty

Ty Elio Addict

Reservation #:
    None of those have the manufacturing capabilities to make the Elio in numbers that would keep it inexpensive. Geeley might have stamping operations but the others either have none or work in fiberglass.

5. RSchneider

RSchneider Elio Addict

It's safe to say Geeley has stamping operations in Charleston, SC. Plus they created 1500 American jobs and will have 4000 in the near future:
    https://www.media.volvocars.com/us/...manufacturing-footprint-with-first-us-factory

I bet each one that I have mentioned are Roush customers too. All they need to to is call Roush and say, "Make us a chassis similar to the Elio and then all of the body panels too. Then we will either supply you with a driveline or you can suggest one. Make us 10 prototypes. Here, I'll turn you over to Betty in accounting and she will start sending you money. Thanks." When that gets done and they are happy with the results, then the project gets turned over to their own R&D where it's tested, validated and polished up. Order goes in for all of the tooling and they buy a few steel stamping machines. Either expand an existing plant or use the excess capacity they already have. When that's done, they crank them out, sell them at their dealers where there's an existing parts, service, training and warranty in place. In the end, much cheaper than how Elio is trying to do it. Plus Elio has zero experience in unibodies and steel stamping. All the rest of the companies have plenty of existing engineering staff to figure it out. I bet a number of them even came from the car industry.

6. Made in USA

Made in USA Elio Addict

At the moment, the Elio is a failure. So moving on, what if several failures were combined into a "new" concept. Remember the inflatable car? https://phys.org/news/2008-06-inflatable-electric-car-cliffs.html

Combine the inflatable with the shape of the Elio, add the electric drive. I for one would be interested. Anybody else?

7. RSchneider

RSchneider Elio Addict

Mix that inflatable car with this three wheeler and you hot a lot of hot air:
    https://phys.org/news/2011-09-toyota-three-wheeler-mph-compressed-air.html

Then there's the three wheeled nanoroadster:
    https://phys.org/news/2016-11-single-molecule-wheelers.html

8. roadtrippin2016

roadtrippin2016 Elio Aficionado

Reservation #:
    not yet
    iT'S BEEN A LONG TIME...SINCE 2014 ...don't think I have ever been so disappointed in a long time...I purchased a Nissan and put 90,000 miles on it since my money went down on the " Elio"...(2014)...saddd !