1. Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.
  2. Hate the new look? Click Here to learn how to go back to the old one!

I Have Given Up On Elio, Have You?

Discussion in 'General Elio Discussion' started by jdkeats, Mar 11, 2019.

1. Aufgeblassen

Aufgeblassen Elio Addict

Sounds like a far fetch analogy to me!

2. Samuel Gompers

Samuel Gompers Elio Addict

Have a great life! As far as I can see, most people just view the Elio saga, and this site, as a mild amusement. There's not much point in being angry or hopeful about this. The facts/future of Elio Motors has been crystal clear since 2014l Getting emotionally involved about Elio is about as useful as debating the merits of Buck Rogers vs Jack Armstrong.

3. Watashiwah

Watashiwah Elio Addict

We all know we never got our vehicles, i just want to see if we were intentionally ‘taken for a ride.’ Plus, I personally don’t want to see any of the Elio Motors gypsies in another adventure where they cite their business and engineering experiences as ‘successful.’ They always wanted everything ‘both ways,’ but that’s just not how it works.

3wheelin likes this.
  4. Samuel Gompers

Samuel Gompers Elio Addict

Friend, if you sent them money, you were intentionally taken for a ride. At the very latest, Paul Elio and the powers that were within the company knew at the time of the first SEC filing that the project was not feasible as promoted. They knew that they were stating as facts things that were merely hopes or projections. They knew that they had not started the engineering. Perhaps they were delusional and thought they would just be able to throw things together and a vehicle would magically appear, but there never was any basis for that delusion in reality.

Knowing that is neither a comfort nor a burden for me. From they time of the first SEC filing on, everybody willing to read was fairly warned. The facts of the SEC filing contradicted the lies in the marketing campaign. It was all available. It does not reduce or excuse Elio's deception, but it also lays the responsibility for their own actions at the feet of anyone who didn't bother to do the research. The engineering was never there. The business management was never there. The money that was raised from marketing was almost exclusively spent on more marketing.

I suspect you already know all that, but you still seem to want outside confirmation. I respect that.

3wheelin and Watashiwah like this.
  5. 3wheelin

3wheelin Elio Addict

Reservation #:
    The whole ELIO mission is doomed from the get-go when PE actually believed that his infamous "half a car, half the price" will actually work. Putting a price of 7k before a single prototype is in place sealed it's fate. I'm actually surprised how he managed to convinced some top names in the industry to get on board on his fairytale idea.

Watashiwah likes this.
  6. Rickb

Rickb Elio Addict

It’s not unusual for top automotive brands to indicate interest in providing parts should a concept vehicle cross the retail production start line. $7000? Check out the initial marketing ULTRA LOW PRICE, ULTRA HIGH MILEAGE, TOP RATED SAFETY, SPEED TO MARKET bullet points below :

200A3C33-54F3-4211-BD58-6F76C12282BC.jpeg

When I happened across the Elio Marketing campaign, I thought to myself WTF!, a typical drive train would cost more than that, as I locked in my $100 refundable reservation deposit to show interest, just in case it happened in the stated 15 months to market. :) It was a fun three wheeler adventure having discussion with some fun 3wheelin people, while sharing interest in an affordable dream. The 3 wheelin dream continues for a few of us.

7. Aufgeblassen

Aufgeblassen Elio Addict

What really amazes me about auto prices, is that at end of 1997, I bought a 1998 VW Jetta TDI for around $16K. Not long after, the new restyled 1999 model came out, and the TDI was about $20K. The other day at a VW dealership, I spied a 2020 Jetta "R" model (not base model) for only about $24K. How can they sell it so cheap all these years later?

8. Watashiwah

Watashiwah Elio Addict

“When I happened across the Elio Marketing campaign, I thought to myself WTF!, a typical drive train would cost more than that, as I locked in my $100 refundable reservation deposit to show interest, just in case it happened in the stated 15 months to market. :) It was a fun three wheeler adventure having discussion with some fun 3wheelin people, while sharing interest in an affordable dream. The 3 wheelin dream continues for a few of us.”
    ——————————

Rickb, did you get your $100 back, no problem?

9. Rickb

Rickb Elio Addict

Yes, EM refunded within a month after my request without issues.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2020
    3wheelin likes this.
  10. BADBOY

BADBOY Elio Addict

I took risk laying a grand down that I could get one of the few thousand I thought could get made as I did in 2006 with Pontiac Solstice and 1974 Fiero. Even if the company did not prove viable I wanted to have one of those on the road. It just did not get that far. It was exciting for a time. I like unusual cars and here is a picture of what y first looked like although mine was maroon and had Chevy spinner hubcaps. I liked it better than the 57 Chevy.
    https://www.hemmings.com/stories/article/sport-fury-sensation-1959-plymouth-sport-fury