• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

I Remember This Forum ...

DWR

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Love Honda bikes ever since the little S90 I got when I was 15. But when Honda engineers screw up they do it in a big way. Back in the early 80's the V4 Magna and Sabre models had steel oil lines to supply oil to the heads. The oil was taken from the back side of the transmission where after it had passed through the engine and transmission had little oil pressure. (I think the real oil system engineer was out sick the day that was incorporated.) Many of those engines died of top end problems with only 20 to 25k miles. I've got 4 of them myself.
You're probably right sky, but I'll put my 7 Y.O. Honda HRX 217 walk behind mower up against any comparable Snapper, Torro, Troy Built, or anything else out there. This thing is like a Bush Hog. My neighbors are always amazed at what I can mow behind my fence with it (I only mow 2-3 times a year back there). When/if this thing ever dies, I will not hesitate to go get another one right away.:)

Ocean9000

Elio Addict
Reaction score
A couple different Buell Blasts my friends had, I believe they were both 2001 or '02, I don't remember who worked on them they were fairly new at the time, but both had issues with creeping. I'm also not a fan of Harley's either, at least nothing in the past several decades, though it seems like everyone these days has at least two.

The Blast! was the model H-D forced Buell to build and then sell with an MSRP hundreds below production cost so they (H-D) could claim that Buell was unprofitable. I find it difficult to believe that any Blast! had issues with creeping considering the high torque of the 500cc single and the vastly oversized wet clutch specifically designed with an absolutely enormous slip zone to accommodate novice/unskilled riders.
A friend of mine owns one and with less than $400 in parts, I substantially enhanced its performance and it gets over 70mpg in daily riding and over 80mpg on the highway - it creeps as slowly as anyone could want as well. If you wish, I will send you the part numbers and procedure. Further, I will provide the full maintenance procedure that will fix any issues with any speed of creeping. Most likely, lazy and/or incompetent service personal have never changed the transmission oil, properly adjusted the clutch or adjusted the primary chain - you can be a Big Hero!

Last edited:

John Painter

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I know exactly what you mean John. Certain feeling of accomplishment just kicking it to life. It's a man thing I guess. Right up there with chopping wood.
On my bike the decompression is manual, so it's always interesting trying to explain to someone how to kick it through to the top of the stroke, then let the compression out until it's just over, then kick it. I agree with the chopping firewood, it's good exercise too! :)

RUCRAYZE

Elio Addict
Reaction score
A couple different Buell Blasts my friends had, I believe they were both 2001 or '02, I don't remember who worked on them they were fairly new at the time, but both had issues with creeping. I'm also not a fan of Harley's either, at least nothing in the past several decades, though it seems like everyone these days has at least two.
Check out the H D V-Rod, was my only bike I felt I was "in" not "on"- everything about it "fit", I think the problem with 'em that's NOT what hogs wanted or identified- used to call it the outlaws of the outlaws

RUCRAYZE

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Check out the H D V-Rod, was my only bike I felt I was "in" not "on"- everything about it "fit", I think the problem with 'em that's NOT what hogs wanted or identified- used to call it the outlaws of the outlaws
BSA 441 Super Star, single cy w/compression release- a killer, my od bmws airheads (ha- they only made air heads), had a smooth starter crank pedal from what I remember was 90 deg to bike body

skygazer6033

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I have a '74 R75 airhead. Your right about the starter. It kicks straight out to the side. A bit awkward but it works. Another bike with an awkward starter was the mid sixties Honda 305 Super Hawk. They wanted the pegs farther back for a more sporty riding position but that interfered with the kick starter. Not to be deterred they redesigned the start mechanism so it kicked forward away from the footped and shifter. That really felt strange but worked fine.

Jeff Miller

Elio Addict
Reaction score
it seems as though this thread has gone off course to motorcycles and I just had to join in.

I've had several bikes both with and without kickstarts. Kicking a 3 cyclinder 850 yamaha was a chore but it luckily had electric start as well. The yamaha srx600 that my brother had came with decompression but it was still a beast to kick when it was cold out. My 350 sprint kicked easy but really didn't like starting either; it was just easier to push start. The enfield has a decompression valve and following a procedure as John outlined the thing starts relatively easy both warm or cold; of course it probably has a compression ration of 6:1 so even though it is a 500 single it kicks easy; just don't let it back fire on you though.

As I get older I find I'm less interested in expensive flash and more interested in quirky and old. I remember fondly riding enduros back in the early 70s and so when I saw the Ducatti scrambler I fell in love. I put money down on one tonight and expect deliver on 5/15.

[Broken External Image]

John Painter

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Well to sell Hondas they had to try and make them look like Harleys. I will stick with the real deal .
Try kick starting 1690CC with a 10:1 compression
I have removed my knee from my throat on more than several occasions over the years, just the same, I still like kick starting bikes and will do so until I'm not physically able, or my wife tells me to "F#@&$ng grow up John! Stop playing with those motorcycles."

Come to think of it, that's what she says every night when I get home. Guess I'll have to go with not physically able.
I'm sort of like one of these....
Not the motorcycle. :D
[Broken External Image]

Top Bottom