• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

If Oil Prices Rose, Would Elio Rise With Them?

Ty

Elio Addict
Reaction score
If I can refrain from political comments because of forum rules – others should be able to so as well. It's really not that hard to do. It just takes a little self restraint.

I appreciate the moderators keeping a handle on it as best that they can.
Self restraint while posting? That's more than... Kidding... no political posts here.

Donnyboy

Elio Addict
Reaction score
The bottom line is the Elio will save us money no matter what the price of gas is. My gas bill will be almost 1/3 to 1/2 of what it is now. I spend about $32 every week to fill up my car, so I'll be saving between $15 to $20 per week! But even though the gas savings is attractive, I think the low base price is what's most attractive to most buyers.

JCar

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score
If oil would have stayed at the price it was when Paul started work on the Elio I would be driving my third one! I have a niece and nephew who would have started driving during that time and being the nice uncle that I am I would have given them my "old" one and gotten a new one. That is if production could have kept up with demand. I bought a Honda during the 1973 oil embargo and price spike.
They were hard to get and the dealers would not deal. That was for a 40mpg vehicle. An 84mpg Elio would be in much greater demand!

Exactly my point. People need to conserve no matter what the price of oil is, but it's a hard sell. The comment by "gottemfeathers" is the attitude of too many Americans. They can't think more than a few years into the future and see money as a magical resource unto itself.

JCar

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score
View attachment 21960

Commodities have always had large fluctuations of price...

Technology in the last five years has vastly improved the ability to recover and process crude oil & it's derivatives...

But...the technological advances in renewable energy most certainly will put pressure on fossil fuel consumption...

Vague talk of technology is just a way to ignore oil's finite nature. It's scarcer in the ground every second, no matter how much tech we throw at it! People see themselves as optimists but they tend to be denialists when it comes to finite resources (countless ghost towns built on mining and drilling attest to this, and you just have to extrapolate it to a global scale).

Oil sources like shale and tar sands are only being extracted (with lower ERoI than conventional crude) because the easy, free-flowing oil has peaked in many parts of the world. See: http://peak-oil.org/peak-oil-reference/peak-oil-data/production-and-peak-dates-by-country/ (outdated only in that it doesn't account for the temporary shale boom, and I emphasize temporary)

The U.S. shale boom requires frenetic drilling rates and high costs, and is tapping a relatively small amount of oil, but people want to be "optimistic" and ignore the math. I posted this link earlier which describes what most people don't want to talk about or flat out deny (in parallel with global warming denial).

There's also confusion between oil-bearing shale and kerogen. The latter is just a precusor to oil and must be superheated to yeild anything usable, which results in terrible ERoI, but people keep pretending their are "trillions" of barrels in kerogen by ignoring what's needed to get it out of the ground, including all the water and environmental damage. There's also huge environmental damage from so-called clean energy, especially wind power, which takes over landscapes and kills birds and bats in greater numbers as more turbines are installed. That too, is treated as a panacea to cure all our energy problems.

The point of my post is that most people only care about their own needs and ignore nature's signals. The only way a car like the Elio will sell (well enough) is if people are forced into it by oil prices. I call that foolish behavior.

JCar

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score
Solar energy is a finite resource. Someday the sun will burn out and then we will all be hosed!

I'm not worried about finite oil one bit. There is plenty of oil for the foreseeable future. I agree that high priced gas would make high mileage cars more in demand but I'm certainly not wishing for $4.00 or higher gas to get Elio on the road.

Your mindset is exactly why I posted this topic. Most people don't care about anything that doesn't suit their immediate wants, or makes them uneasy. They are much more interested in feeling good than doing what's really needed. Notice how quickly people have forgotten the very legitimate concerns about Peak Oil, which get fundamentally more serious every day, just masked by short-term gains from shale fracking and overproduction by OPEC, Russia and a few other plays. People have very short attention spans when it comes to finite resources, tending toward denial of the very concept.

In the case of things like timber and food, we're able to temporarily stave off depletion because trees and crops regenerate (though population growth makes it increasingly ineffective). Finite fossil fuels don't regenerate, but people abstract them down to money, thus pretending they're not truly finite (a mind trick). Entire civilizations have failed because of such thinking, with Easter Island being one of the most famous. The whole Earth is dealing with constant depletion but it's spread out so much that people see finite as "never really finite." Julian Simon still has many adherents, even though his math was nutty.

If anyone reading this can prove that there isn't less oil in the ground every second, I'd like to see their scientific case. Abiotic oil is essentially a conspiracy theory. When people say things like "oil production is growing" (for the most part barely keeping pace with demand) it has nothing to do with the sum of all possible wells that are being depleted around the clock. It's like covering a water cooler with a black cloth and pretending it will never fully drain because you can't see the water.

JCar

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score
If I can refrain from political comments because of forum rules – others should be able to so as well. It's really not that hard to do. It just takes a little self restraint.

I appreciate the moderators keeping a handle on it as best that they can.

NOTE : inflammatory political commentary removed

Last edited by a moderator:

gottemfeathers

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Your mindset is exactly why I posted this topic. Most people don't care about anything that doesn't suit their immediate wants, or makes them uneasy. They are much more interested in feeling good than doing what's really needed. Notice how quickly people have forgotten the very legitimate concerns about Peak Oil, which get fundamentally more serious every day, just masked by short-term gains from shale fracking and overproduction by OPEC, Russia and a few other plays. People have very short attention spans when it comes to finite resources, tending toward denial of the very concept.

In the case of things like timber and food, we're able to temporarily stave off depletion because trees and crops regenerate (though population growth makes it increasingly ineffective). Finite fossil fuels don't regenerate, but people abstract them down to money, thus pretending they're not truly finite (a mind trick). Entire civilizations have failed because of such thinking, with Easter Island being one of the most famous. The whole Earth is dealing with constant depletion but it's spread out so much that people see finite as "never really finite." Julian Simon still has many adherents, even though his math was nutty.

If anyone reading this can prove that there isn't less oil in the ground every second, I'd like to see their scientific case. Abiotic oil is essentially a conspiracy theory. When people say things like "oil production is growing" (for the most part barely keeping pace with demand) it has nothing to do with the sum of all possible wells that are being depleted around the clock. It's like covering a water cooler with a black cloth and pretending it will never fully drain because you can't see the water.
Sounds like someone needs a nap

JCar

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score

Those numbers (with no real context) do nothing to disprove that oil is finite and that there's less of it in the ground every second. They just reflect a desperation to extract as much oil as possible because the world depends on it. For example, a "billion barrels of oil!" sounds impressive until you realize the U.S. can burn it in under 2 months. When that's pointed out, the average person will persist in pretending "we'll just find trillions of barrels!" e.g. the false promises of fracking and especially kerogen. My point is that a lot of people aren't dealing with reality, just as with their global warming denial.

Fossil fuels are capital, not true income. Depleting a savings account is a good analogy but oil is much worse because you can never get that "money" back. Everything depends on energy, so where's the sanity in using any more of a finite resource than we absolutely have to? People just don't think it through.

My motive for ordering an Elio was to conserve fuel first, and save money secondarily. I was hoping others had the same reasons, but I wasn't expecting much.

US_crude_oil_IEA_WEO_2012_Fig318_vs_EIA_AEO_2013.jpg

booboo

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I'm sorry if that's not allowed here but the same sorts of people who refuse to accept that oil is finite voted that guy in because he told them what they wanted to hear. There are consequences to acting on emotions vs. logic and morality, and I'm not going to sit silently while fools ruin the world for the rest of us.

To me, the situation with Elio is a microcosm of human failings. We would have been driving the most efficient possible cars (given past/current technology) from day one if the masses understood why it matters that oil is finite.

Yes, this post is about general human failings, not just Elio!
Not political IMO, just a caring educated human opinion.
As is this.

"Sustainable degrowth is a downscaling of production and consumption that increases human well-being and enhances ecological conditions and equity on the planet. It calls for a future where societies live within their ecological means, with open, localized economies and resources more equally distributed through new forms of democratic institutions. Such societies will no longer have to “grow or die.” Material accumulation will no longer hold a prime position in the population’s cultural imaginary. The primacy of efficiency will be substituted by a focus on sufficiency, and innovation will no longer focus on technology for technology’s sake but will concentrate on new social and technical arrangements that will enable us to live convivially and frugally. Degrowth does not only challenge the centrality of GDP as an overarching policy objective but proposes a framework for transformation to a lower and sustainable level of production and consumption, a shrinking of the economic system to leave more space for human cooperation and ecosystems." -degrowth.org

Last edited by a moderator:

4matic

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Sorry JCar...I've heard all that "peak oil" rhetoric before...

I'm not too worried that fossil fuel shortages will be the demise of human society... I'm confident that human ingenuity will allow us to continue innovating numerous alternative energy sources...

Lots of things keep me up at night... but the shrinking inventory of fossil fuel is not one of them...

Top Bottom