• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

I'm In... Any Idea On Options?

PhilBob

Elio Fan
Reaction score
After reading a couple of negative comments about the Elio's low-speed steering difficulty by those who have driven the P4, I contacted EM about the lack of a power-steering option. Their response indicated that a P/S option was currently being considered and to "stay tuned" for more news about it. I have not seen any further news about this option, but hope that it makes the final cut when production gets underway. An electric P/S assist would have little, if any, parasitic power or mileage consequences and yet keep this vehicle easy to maneuver in tight parking spaces.

Music Man

Elio Addict
Reaction score
After reading a couple of negative comments about the Elio's low-speed steering difficulty by those who have driven the P4, I contacted EM about the lack of a power-steering option. Their response indicated that a P/S option was currently being considered and to "stay tuned" for more news about it. I have not seen any further news about this option, but hope that it makes the final cut when production gets underway. An electric P/S assist would have little, if any, parasitic power or mileage consequences and yet keep this vehicle easy to maneuver in tight parking spaces.
Like the thought, PhilBob. Wonder what goofy's take is on this? We've been hearing from so many, that this car will NOT need P/S. Maybe not. . . . . .but with what looks like the greatest number of the folks buying into this car being in the "seniors" age group, I think it would be nice to make this car as comfortable and as easy and pleasant to drive as possible.

What say you?

goofyone

Staff member
Reaction score
Like the thought, PhilBob. Wonder what goofy's take is on this? We've been hearing from so many, that this car will NOT need P/S. Maybe not. . . . . .but with what looks like the greatest number of the folks buying into this car being in the "seniors" age group, I think it would be nice to make this car as comfortable and as easy and pleasant to drive as possible.

What say you?

The issues with the P4 steering have been because of the extra wide show tires on the P4 and a scavenged steering rack from a Geo Metro. This steering rack is old and is not properly geared for the Elio and as such it really is not indicative of how the final vehicle will steer. With a modern, and properly sized, rack and pinion steering as well as the skinny tires the final vehicle should handle just fine without any need for power steering.

Having said that, Paul Elio confirmed in the latest Town Hall meeting that the steering column would allow for an electric assist and they were leaving room for it however he said this would be an option not standard equipment.

Last edited:

Music Man

Elio Addict
Reaction score
The issues with the P4 steering have been because of the extra wide show tires on the P4 and a scavenged steering rack from a Geo Metro. This steering rack is old and is not properly geared for the Elio and as such it really is not indicative of how the final vehicle will steer. With a modern, properly sized, rack and pinion steering as well as the skinny tires the final vehicle should handle just fine without any need for power steering.

Having said that, Paul Elio confirmed in the latest Town Hall meeting that the steering column would allow for an electric assist and they were leaving room for it however he said this would be an option not standard equipment.
Thanks, "doctor" goofy. :) I knew that if we posed the question to the correct person, we would get the answer! :rolleyes:

echobrown

Elio Enthusiast
Reaction score
The issues with the P4 steering have been because of the extra wide show tires on the P4 and a scavenged steering rack from a Geo Metro. This steering rack is old and is not properly geared for the Elio and as such it really is not indicative of how the final vehicle will steer. With a modern, and properly sized, rack and pinion steering as well as the skinny tires the final vehicle should handle just fine without any need for power steering.

I'm female (no upper body strength LOL) and getting older. Hope electric assist is an option. (Just putting in my pretend vote.)

Music Man

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I'm female (no upper body strength LOL) and getting older. Hope electric assist is an option. (Just putting in my pretend vote.)
Know the feeling and concern first hand, and do agree with you. . . . . . Though goofy does a nice job of addressing our concerns.

My problems come from a right side neuromuscular problem.

If goofy is correct, and I assume that he is. . . Then all is well, otherwise, I would definitely want an electric P/S option being made available.

zelio

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I am one of those seniors looking for the comfort of easy steering. Not willing to go back the days of manual steering in my old age. Wait until you start collecting Social Security and see if you don't agree.
I'm older than you and not worried about the steering but don't judge others if they need assistance in any way. My only concern is that the costs be kept down so I can own my Elio. I'm a little selfish that way. I swim 3 times a week and that has helped strengthen my upper body considerably over the past couple of years. I don't want to lose any more mobility than I absolutely have to. :-) Z

Music Man

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I'm older than you and not worried about the steering but don't judge others if they need assistance in any way. My only concern is that the costs be kept down so I can own my Elio. I'm a little selfish that way. I swim 3 times a week and that has helped strengthen my upper body considerably over the past couple of years. I don't want to lose any more mobility than I absolutely have to. :) Z
Can't swim, but when I was still working, we went to the "gym" very morning to work out. . . . . . Did a LOT of heavy lifting: biscuits, Bacon, milk, and coffee. :eek:

That's what we referred to the food as; a daily workout! o_O

Top Bottom