• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Infinite Skyz Skyzmatic System

Bilbo B

Elio Addict
Reaction score

RUCRAYZE

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Apologies if this has been posted already, but I don't see it. This announcement from SEMA today:

http://www.eliomotors.com/press-rel...-84-mpg-elio-into-connected-internet-vehicle/

Personally, I have reservations about IoT technology in an Elio (actually, anywhere), but there are a lot of details missing. It might be just the gadget to attract another 35,000 people.

Infinite Skyz web site is here:

http://www.infiniteskyz.com/

I was ecstatic when a car radio got F.M. and no idea what loT is, and how do you get wi-fi in a car? does my phone capture the signal thru data?, Can I play Pandora? any guess/estimates on the cost of such a unit. thanks

Bilbo B

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Those are the details that seem to be missing. GM cars with OnStar (I think) can provide Internet access, but the OnStar unit is the 'cell phone' (correct me if I'm wrong, any OnStar users). I doubt this would use your phone as it's means of communications. It will communicate TO your phone, though.

Internet of Things is a name given to connecting all sorts of devices to each other and the internet. Typically I've seen it in references to things like your refrigerator, stove, things you might want to monitor/control remotely. Having my car connected to the internet, with the ability to remotely start it, lock doors, view cameras could be terrific or could be horrible. Depends upon how good the security is, and the internet system that can't be hacked hasn't been invented yet. The press release does say "All of the information provided by the SkyzMatic system will be transmitted directly to an iPad or iPhone. All of the remote features will be transmitted with an iPhone or iWatch." That leaves this Android user out.

I'd guess adding this will be a significant cost on a $6,800 vehicle (percentage wise). Not much more than a blip on a $35,000 vehicle.

Craig

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Apologies if this has been posted already, but I don't see it. This announcement from SEMA today:

http://www.eliomotors.com/press-rel...-84-mpg-elio-into-connected-internet-vehicle/

Personally, I have reservations about IoT technology in an Elio (actually, anywhere), but there are a lot of details missing. It might be just the gadget to attract another 35,000 people.

Infinite Skyz web site is here:

http://www.infiniteskyz.com/

One day you get a letter in the mail:

Do to information collected from the tracking system on your car, we have determined your driving habits are not within the standards set by this company.

We will be increasing your monthly payments by 17% for the next billing cycle till you can show us you are capable of driving within the required standards.

You will find on page two, each of the times you operated your vehicle outside the law.

Failure to bring your driving habits back within the standards set by this company will result in a permanent increase of your payments or you being dropped from our coverage.

Thank You, and have a nice day.

Last edited:

goofyone

Staff member
Reaction score
I don't believe we have a dedicated topic for this yet however it has been discussed pretty heavily in the SEMA thread: http://www.elioowners.com/threads/elio-motors-sema-2014.3018/

I also have a few more details on how the system and pricing will work which I have provided in that thread as well:

The cost for the complete system is expected to be about $1500 installed.

It is likely that there will be a much lower entry point for a base system which includes the controller module, rear view camera, and possibly a dedicated cockpit mounted display. This basic system should still have a heck of a lot of functionality however it will likely be at least several hundred dollars as the controller module really is the key component of the entire system and as such includes much of the functionality minus the dedicated extra cameras and sensors.

Owners would be able to add on to the base system the remaining sensors/cameras to eventually build the complete system or only the portions of the systems they would like.

EM is working on integrating this system into an optional upgraded LCD dash so this really would turn the vehicle into a fully integrated smart vehicle.

The system does have optional support for its own dedicated cellular connection which would allow it to create a mobile hotspot in the vehicle and allow remote access to the vehicles systems and sensors. This would of course require a monthly bill for cellular service.

Screenshots of the system from ElioMotors.com:

[Broken External Image]
[Broken External Image]
[Broken External Image]
[Broken External Image]
[Broken External Image]
[Broken External Image]
[Broken External Image]

RUCRAYZE

Elio Addict
Reaction score
guess what he loses on the base price he's gonna easily make up on the extras!! lets see with just a tease of information, I'd project with the toys added on you easily go 15k OTD -best do a lot of really long drives to justify riding around in a 1200 lb. enclosed motorcycle that is "economical "on gas to off set the cost- boys with toys.......

goofyone

Staff member
Reaction score
guess what he loses on the base price he's gonna easily make up on the extras!! lets see with just a tease of information, I'd project with the toys added on you easily go 15k OTD -best do a lot of really long drives to justify riding around in a 1200 lb. enclosed motorcycle that is "economical "on gas to off set the cost- boys with toys.......

It is a business and as such they will find a way to be profitable. I like technology however I doubt I will buy this system as I do not intend to use this vehicle in a way that would really benefit much from having such a system installed. However in my opinion the options are what makes the Elio Motors model great as they have figured out a way to offer all kinds of customization with very little direct cost and risk to Elio Motors as suppliers assume most of the risk. All the options make the vehicle much more desirable to a wider variety of customers as everyone will be able to configure their vehicle exactly the way they wish whether it is just the base model or a tricked out model with more money spent in options than the base vehicle itself.

Craig

Elio Addict
Reaction score
That's why the first piece of crack is always free, or $6,800.

ross

Elio Addict
Reaction score
It is a business and as such they will find a way to be profitable. I like technology however I doubt I will buy this system as I do not intend to use this vehicle in a way that would really benefit much from having such a system installed. However in my opinion the options are what makes the Elio Motors model great as they have figured out a way to offer all kinds of customization with very little direct cost and risk to Elio Motors as suppliers assume most of the risk. All the options make the vehicle much more desirable to a wider variety of customers as everyone will be able to configure their vehicle exactly the way they wish whether it is just the base model or a tricked out model with more money spent in options than the base vehicle itself.
Not for me thank you. I have a friend who test drove a Ford Mustang Bullit. He and his son took it out on the freeway and ran it up over 140 mph. He went home and the dealership called and said the state patrol showed up and wanted to scan the computer in the car as some one reported it at a high rate of speed on the freeway, they told him they usually comply with any request from the police but if they didn't own the car, they wouldn't have to. He ended up buying the car to save his CDL.

Top Bottom