• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Infinite Skyz Skyzmatic System

Jeff Porter

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Norton, KS; halfway between Kansas City and Denver
I think the difference here is, and don't let me speak for everyone, I am here for a low cost high mileage car. If it gets great mileage but costs too much (Tesla) it's out of the question. If it's inexpensive but doesn't get great mileage, then what's the point? I already have a car. So for me, and perhaps others, buying a $1500 'wow-that's-cool' thing, defeats the purpose of the car.
I agree that Elio may be wanting to make this car more widely desired. Drop a V8 in the thing and make a rocket out of it. That will excite some demographic of buyers, but my gut tells me that the majority of the people on here are here for inexpensive and good mileage.

I hear ya CT, I get where you're coming from. The interesting thing to me is, EM offering this option does not inhibit their timeline or ability to produce an inexpensive, high mpg vehicle. The low cost / high mpg are two of their main high priority goals. I'm amazed at the number of folks that think EM offering this connectivity option is a bad thing. It's like folks feel EM is pushing the option down their throat.

I get that a vehicle is quite an emotional thing to many of us. But this connectivity system is just an option. If a buyer doesn't want it, don't get it. I'm probably not going to get it. It's not a big deal that I don't get it. :)

Some wording on the new expanded list of FAQs talks about cruise control, and the idea that it is such a popular option, EM will try to include it as standard if they can keep the vehicle at $6800. Now THAT is maaaaahvelous. :D

goofyone

Staff member
Reaction score
I hear ya CT, I get where you're coming from. The interesting thing to me is, EM offering this option does not inhibit their timeline or ability to produce an inexpensive, high mpg vehicle. The low cost / high mpg are two of their main high priority goals. I'm amazed at the number of folks that think EM offering this connectivity option is a bad thing. It's like folks feel EM is pushing the option down their throat.

I get that a vehicle is quite an emotional thing to many of us. But this connectivity system is just an option. If a buyer doesn't want it, don't get it. I'm probably not going to get it. It's not a big deal that I don't get it. :)

Some wording on the new expanded list of FAQs talks about cruise control, and the idea that it is such a popular option, EM will try to include it as standard if they can keep the vehicle at $6800. Now THAT is maaaaahvelous. :D

In my opinion all these options, and the way Elio uses its suppliers to develop the options, will make it easier for EM to continue offering the base model as inexpensively as possible. If EM is generates enough profit from the sale of options they do not have to raise the base price as much over time thus allowing them to continue offering the base model as inexpensively as possible for those who need or want an ultra inexpensive high mileage vehicle

CompTrex

Elio Addict
Reaction score
In my opinion all these options, and the way Elio uses its suppliers to develop the options, will make it easier for EM to continue offering the base model as inexpensively as possible. If EM is generates enough profit from the sale of options they do not have to raise the base price as much over time thus allowing them to continue offering the base model as inexpensively as possible for those who need or want an ultra inexpensive high mileage vehicle
At the risk of sounding dumb, how exactly does EM make money on supplier options, besides a flat out markup? I wouldn't think there'd be a lot of money in that. The bulk of the money I would think would go to the supplier. And if Elio marked it up too high, why wouldn't I go directly to the supplier?
I wonder about installation as well. There will probably be money to make there.

goofyone

Staff member
Reaction score
At the risk of sounding dumb, how exactly does EM make money on supplier options, besides a flat out markup? I wouldn't think there'd be a lot of money in that. The bulk of the money I would think would go to the supplier. And if Elio marked it up too high, why wouldn't I go directly to the supplier?
I wonder about installation as well. There will probably be money to make there.

What has been discussed in the past is that EM is looking for about a 20% markup on options and the prices in the options catalog at the time of purchase will include installation. 20% margin on the options could be could be a huge money maker for Elio Motors when we are talking about the volume of vehicles and options they will be installing.

I am sure the suppliers will have to sign a contract stating that they are allowed to sell their items directly if they sell the same or similar items in the official options catalog. This of course does not mean other suppliers will not be selling similar items in the aftermarket however this is the same way things work now with most vehicle options anyhow. It is well established that most buyers are willing to pay a premium for official options installed at the time of purchase.

RUCRAYZE

Elio Addict
Reaction score
tota
It is a business and as such they will find a way to be profitable. I like technology however I doubt I will buy this system as I do not intend to use this vehicle in a way that would really benefit much from having such a system installed. However in my opinion the options are what makes the Elio Motors model great as they have figured out a way to offer all kinds of customization with very little direct cost and risk to Elio Motors as suppliers assume most of the risk. All the options make the vehicle much more desirable to a wider variety of customers as everyone will be able to configure their vehicle exactly the way they wish whether it is just the base model or a tricked out model with more money spent in options than the base vehicle itself.
totally and fully agree -no question wasn't challenging the process, nor diminishing it's contribution, but for ME it's just too expensive, and considering my car clock is still an hour off- I'd be overwhelmed, took me a long time to program my car radios when pre-sets required pulling outward the button to set it a ststion them pushing it back in- now I just scan to find something good. Listen, I was happy when FM became a reality!!

UCF'73

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I'm not sure which company this is off the top of my head, but I know there's a company that actually does this.

I've sent an email to InfiniteSkyz with some questions.
Yes Joshua, State Farm has such a program, but they are only giving a 5 or 10 percent discount. That's not enough incentive to get wired up.

RUCRAYZE

Elio Addict
Reaction score
When I "signed-up" loved the concept, and dove right in. I have given over, but not by much, donations to non profits, and my kids (who too were non profits ago) I mentioned early on that if it didn't happen, it would be my contribution to the advancement of such a car.
Now my thinking has expanded with the first accessories that are going to be available
Maybe it's just my rational, but now I perceive the base price of my car to be $5300.00 (my 1k + Paul's $500 )deducting the $750 delivery charge, I still have $750 accessory money to spend before tapping out my r$6800!! I know Ill easily spend more, but that's just me!!

zelio

Elio Addict
Reaction score
When I "signed-up" loved the concept, and dove right in. I have given over, but not by much, donations to non profits, and my kids (who too were non profits ago) I mentioned early on that if it didn't happen, it would be my contribution to the advancement of such a car.
Now my thinking has expanded with the first accessories that are going to be available
Maybe it's just my rational, but now I perceive the base price of my car to be $5300.00 (my 1k + Paul's $500 )deducting the $750 delivery charge, I still have $750 accessory money to spend before tapping out my r$6800!! I know Ill easily spend more, but that's just me!!
LOL I like the way you think, RUCRAYZE! :-) Z

Top Bottom