• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Infinite Skyz Skyzmatic System

ross

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I hear ya CT, I get where you're coming from. The interesting thing to me is, EM offering this option does not inhibit their timeline or ability to produce an inexpensive, high mpg vehicle. The low cost / high mpg are two of their main high priority goals. I'm amazed at the number of folks that think EM offering this connectivity option is a bad thing. It's like folks feel EM is pushing the option down their throat.

I get that a vehicle is quite an emotional thing to many of us. But this connectivity system is just an option. If a buyer doesn't want it, don't get it. I'm probably not going to get it. It's not a big deal that I don't get it. :)

Some wording on the new expanded list of FAQs talks about cruise control, and the idea that it is such a popular option, EM will try to include it as standard if they can keep the vehicle at $6800. Now THAT is maaaaahvelous. :D
Cruise control I love. I know how it works. Connectivity, I barely know how to spell. Not a clue how it works. My cell phone has a rotary dial.

tonyspumoni

Elio Addict
Reaction score
This option package offering is entirely consistent with one arm of the Elio Motors marketing strategy. Paul has pitched the Elio in part as a second vehicle for commuters. Since lots of commuters take calls in the car, read email and texts at stoplights, and navigate, not offering this package would make them look pretty dimwitted and undermine that strategy.

As long as I can still get any color WITHOUT having to buy a package, I won't howl. If EM goes down the BMW road, where the color you want only comes with a hefty options package that is extra, then I'll howl.

tonyspumoni

Elio Addict
Reaction score
They need to equip every vehicle with a block that disables any/all cell functions while the car is running.

Truett,

Are you opposed to the capability to receive calls as well as making them? I have owned five cars in three different models with integrated, hands-free Bluetooth and all of them block most handed functions during vehicle movement but not while just running. I fully expect this system to offer the same. My BMWs, Priuses, and Suburu have had a voice recognition system for when the car is moving that works pretty well and is no more intrusive to the attentive driving experience than having a conversation with a passenger.

I fully agree that lots of people still use handed phones while driving which is not safe. Particularly moms driving their 5,850 lb Yukon Denali XL's to daycare while yakking with the nanny and trying to figure out what lane they should be in, yet again, today, on the same route they took yesterday, and the day before. In other words, this system better be the safest there is because if your attention wanders while driving the Elio and something bad happens, it could be badder than for the other guy. Roll cages and airbags be danged - the margin of safety here will be slight if you tangle with that erratic Denali.

Truett Collins

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Truett,

Are you opposed to the capability to receive calls as well as making them? I have owned five cars in three different models with integrated, hands-free Bluetooth and all of them block most handed functions during vehicle movement but not while just running. I fully expect this system to offer the same. My BMWs, Priuses, and Suburu have had a voice recognition system for when the car is moving that works pretty well and is no more intrusive to the attentive driving experience than having a conversation with a passenger.

I fully agree that lots of people still use handed phones while driving which is not safe. Particularly moms driving their 5,850 lb Yukon Denali XL's to daycare while yakking with the nanny and trying to figure out what lane they should be in, yet again, today, on the same route they took yesterday, and the day before. In other words, this system better be the safest there is because if your attention wanders while driving the Elio and something bad happens, it could be badder than for the other guy. Roll cages and airbags be danged - the margin of safety here will be slight if you tangle with that erratic Denali.
Yes, let the voice mail pick it up till you get somewhere to get off the road.

tonyspumoni

Elio Addict
Reaction score
T-

Gotta agree to disagree on this one, though I won't be going with the package most likely. My iPhone does voice activation just fine and all the rest of the stuff is just options candy to me. When I get an incoming call, there's one button to push to accept it. Much safer than messing around to change the radio station.

CompTrex

Elio Addict
Reaction score
T-

Gotta agree to disagree on this one, though I won't be going with the package most likely. My iPhone does voice activation just fine and all the rest of the stuff is just options candy to me. When I get an incoming call, there's one button to push to accept it. Much safer than messing around to change the radio station.
I'm with you tonyspumoni. I would love to put the phone down and just listen to Rush and Chris Plant on my drive, but it seems I can't get away from the little gadget. And I know I'm not alone, so the safer it can be made the better.

Jay3wheel

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I believe even listening to the radio can be a distraction, ESPECIALLY talk shows like Rush and Chris Plant. At least, that is what I have found. I am a music lover also, but only listen on the open road and long trips.

Allll you folks that must have your constant contacts. Should be required to drive specially colored vehicles, so that the rest of us can watch out for yous guys. I suggest purple and silver stripes running front to back.

Top Bottom