• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Infinite Skyz Skyzmatic System

Joshua Caldwell

Staff member
Reaction score
While most internet services that would be tied to your SkyzMatic via your cell provider are pretty efficient users of your data allowance, some aren't. If you download your GPS maps to your phone (or Skyzmatic, I assume), your data consumption is minimal - only updating weather and traffic conditions at several minute intervals. Your internet radio will consume a bit more, but most low to mid-range data plans will accommodate it easily. If you are intent on streaming movies on your phone's data connection, well you probably deserve the bill you will get.

But these charges pale in comparison to the hole in your financial bucket that is known as tethering. Tethering a tablet or laptop to your internet device can be done easily, but the cost is incredible. My son tethered his laptop and his girlfriends' to his iPhone one evening recently, and since I'm the prime user on the account, I started getting texts that I was approaching the limit of my 10Gb plan. Then ten minutes later, I got a text that I had exceeded my limit and was on the hook for an additional Gig of data for $10 and was being warned of a second overage on the way. I ran to my desktop and logged into my Verizon account. Sure enough, sonny boy had tethered TWO laptops and blazed through over 8 Gb in less than an hour. I suspended his phone service immediately to stop the bleeding.

I'm told this is common with tethering. My web designer tells me that while many websites are carefully constructed to be fairly stingy with their data loads, quite a few are huge and incredibly sloppy. Click on some sites and they can burn your data allowance at a furious rate, and my experience tethering a laptop is not at all unusual. Your phone will seek out m. (mobile) options, cutting data to a minimum, but a laptop - assuming it has either a WiFi or Ethernet connection that isn't concerned with bandwidth, forges on ahead while gobbling up your data plan like it's seeking the end of the internet.

An old college roommate, now an economics professor, calls the phenomenon "TANSTAAFL" (There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch). The Internet isn't free . . . somebody is paying for it. You could be it.
As a CSR I always tell people that before tethering go into their operating system control panel and all their apps and have everything prompt for permission before downloading updates. Most things these day will just use any available connection to do all updates without even letting you know this is happening.

JEBar

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Electronic lock is standard. I am pretty sure you'd have to turn the lock with a key. I want a fob to unlock and lock it with. (Remote)
MK

somewhere, in some thread there is a post where someone from Elio Motors said that a fob for locking/unlocking would be an option .... o_O

Jim

Ekh

Elio Addict
Reaction score
$1500 to $2000 for the Skyzmatic system was quoted at the time they announced it at SEMA. The thing that bothers me here is that Elio has made a big deal out of this option; it's clearly sanctioned, blessed, approved, and endorsed (I'm tired or I'd find some more verbs). It is an Official Elio Option.
I'd like the see the company share that space with other suppliers, such as the people who make Navdy (the HUD set-up I mentioned earlier). http://www.navdy.com . I can see that Elio wouldn't want two zillion makers of the same thing to get "Official Elio Option" status, but I think they need to open the field up a little bit. There's got to be room between bare-bones and $2,000 for such things as lane warnings, rear view camera (note I do not say back-up camera!), and nav system input.

imageon

Elio Addict
Reaction score
somewhere, in some thread there is a post where someone from Elio Motors said that a fob for locking/unlocking would be an option .... o_O

Jim
A place to plug in the iPhone 6 + I would then have tunes, Google Maps, it's speaker phone and internet radio.
A fob to open the door.
About all I need.

Ekh

Elio Addict
Reaction score
You need to remember that the OBDII may not be standard and the Navdy device may not work with it.
If that were the situation, Elio would be abandoning its strategy of non-proprietary hardware wherever possible. Besides which, OBD II busses are standard -- by law -- throughout the United States.

Top Bottom