• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Infinite Skyz Skyzmatic System

karl

Elio Addict
Reaction score
OK so this runs on an i pad with cell service included. You need to pay the monthly cell bill. Would there be an other monthly bill from the app supplier? All this so you could unlock your vehicle from across the country? 10 feet away with a key fob seems sufficient for me. I love technology but hate to pay monthly fees for it. None of my motorcycles have an OBDII port.

goofyone

Staff member
Reaction score
$1500 to $2000 for the Skyzmatic system was quoted at the time they announced it at SEMA. The thing that bothers me here is that Elio has made a big deal out of this option; it's clearly sanctioned, blessed, approved, and endorsed (I'm tired or I'd find some more verbs). It is an Official Elio Option.
I'd like the see the company share that space with other suppliers, such as the people who make Navdy (the HUD set-up I mentioned earlier). http://www.navdy.com . I can see that Elio wouldn't want two zillion makers of the same thing to get "Official Elio Option" status, but I think they need to open the field up a little bit. There's got to be room between bare-bones and $2,000 for such things as lane warnings, rear view camera (note I do not say back-up camera!), and nav system input.
You need to remember that the OBDII may not be standard and the Navdy device may not work with it.
If that were the situation, Elio would be abandoning its strategy of non-proprietary hardware wherever possible. Besides which, OBD II busses are standard -- by law -- throughout the United States.

Elio Motors will be offering a variety of options at various price points. They have listed on their website, and I have asked specifically, and they will be offering a rear camera without need for the more advanced Skyzmatic system so I have no doubt that other options such as gauge clusters and HUD systems will likely also be included independent of Skyzmatic.

There could already be something between Elio Motors and Navdy in the works as when asked I am told that they are in communication and to stay tuned. Also while it would not provide the full range of information all Navdy would need to do is support the use of GPS for speed calculation and this would provide the biggest feature most people would use. Navdy already supports power from 12v socket along with the OBD II port.

I had a discussion with Jerome Vassallo about OBD II support in Birmingham where he clarified OBD II support. OBD II is required by law in cars and as the Elio is not a car it is not required to meet this requirement so to save money the ECU they have chosen, which was featured in a recent engine series tech talk, is only currently used in developing markets such as India. It is considerably less expensive however it simply is not powerful enough for full OBD-II telemetry data streaming and instead can only handle engine management with fault code reporting which will happen using OBD II protocols so fault codes can be read by standard diagnostics equipment.

It is always possible that in the future EM could offer a more powerful ECU with more features as an option however right now they simply do not have the time and money to spend on developing and testing two ECU's.

Last edited:

goofyone

Staff member
Reaction score
I had a discussion with Jerome Vassallo about OBD II support in Birmingham where he clarified OBD II support. OBD II is required by law in cars and as the Elio is not a car it is not required to meet this requirement so to save money the ECU they have chosen, which was featured in a recent engine series tech talk, is only currently used in developing markets such as India. It is considerably less expensive however it simply is not powerful enough for full OBD-II telemetry data streaming and instead can only handle engine management with fault code reporting which will happen using OBD II protocols so fault codes can be read by standard diagnostics equipment.

I will go ahead and write this as I am sure there will be a follow up question as to how the Skyzmatic system can receive vehicle telemetry data even if the ECU is not powerful enough to provide it via the OBD II port. The reason for this is that they Skyzmatic system bypasses the ECU and connects directly into the vehicles CAN bus which is essentially the computer network which allows all the vehicles systems to communicate with each other. By tapping directly into this network the Skyzmatic system has direct access to the streaming data output provided by the various sensors instead of the ECU having to process all the information and forwarded it out via the OBD II port.

goofyone

Staff member
Reaction score
OK so this runs on an i pad with cell service included. You need to pay the monthly cell bill. Would there be an other monthly bill from the app supplier? All this so you could unlock your vehicle from across the country? 10 feet away with a key fob seems sufficient for me. I love technology but hate to pay monthly fees for it. None of my motorcycles have an OBDII port.

The direct answer we have received from both Elio Motors and Infinite Skyz is that there will be no further bills from Elio Motors and/or Infinite Skyz after the system is installed. The only extra cost is for the dedicated data connection for the remote management features however it is my understanding that even this is not mandatory.

karl

Elio Addict
Reaction score
The direct answer we have received from both Elio Motors and Infinite Skyz is that there will be no further bills from Elio Motors and/or Infinite Skyz after the system is installed. The only extra cost is for the dedicated data connection for the remote management features however it is my understanding that even this is not mandatory.
That was what I thought.

Top Bottom