• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Informative Video

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
Fixed that for ya... :D

That's the worst news I've read all day. :mad: I may be in line for your replacement solution.

Plus, Volkswagen (among others) already tried the "heat from the exhaust" thing back, oh, 60+ years ago. Doesn't work so well. Requires extra parts and frequent maintenance. Will eventually asphyxiate you when the exhaust inevitably starts leaking. Nobody does it any more because it all-around sucked.
To get on the list for the replacement gauges, send me a PM
Title it "Add me to the list"
Include your, name, email and phone number
When I have the pricing complete for the packages, you'll be notified.

Ty

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Fixed that for ya... :D

That's the worst news I've read all day. :mad: I may be in line for your replacement solution.

Plus, Volkswagen (among others) already tried the "heat from the exhaust" thing back, oh, 60+ years ago. Doesn't work so well. Requires extra parts and frequent maintenance. Will eventually asphyxiate you when the exhaust inevitably starts leaking. Nobody does it any more because it all-around sucked.
I didn't mean that they would pipe the gas anywhere. I just meant they might try putting a heat exchanger near or on the catalytic converter.

Maurtis

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I think Paul should use these gauges in the production Elio as a tribute to... ME... The CUSTOMER... The guy who's been paying the bills!

They should offer a non-Elgin dash for an FU price of $1,000. Paul gets his homage by default and the Elgin haters get an Elio-backed option that puts more profit in their pocket.

Dooltd

Elio Addict
Reaction score
To get on the list for the replacement gauges, send me a PM
Title it "Add me to the list"
Include your, name, email and phone number
When I have the pricing complete for the packages, you'll be notified.
Oh, yeah, I get it. Like extortion. Cool. :D

Extortion is such an ugly word, let's refer to it like Detroit does, an extra cost option. :cool:

Marshall

Elio Addict
Reaction score
That does sound a lot better.
I thought you would like this.

ps I'm leaning toward keeping the cost down to a minimum, but I would be interested in the numbers when you get your aftermarket opportunity to the point you can give the numbers. If I can't see the Elgin, I might have to take action, even if it costs a bit.

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
I thought you would like this.

ps I'm leaning toward keeping the cost down to a minimum, but I would be interested in the numbers when you get your aftermarket opportunity to the point you can give the numbers.
It's going to be a minimum of $650 for the 6 gauges (in 2 housings Speedo/Tach in one - Fuel/Volt/Temp/Oil Pressure in the other) plus all senders needed. I'm still working on trying to get the GPS speedo included at that price. Lighting, signal lights/idiot lights are a wait and see until I have one to do an install in (mine). I will make a video of what it takes to put them in. The Black face and the white face are the same price; the custom pointers are and additional price, but not much (like $20).
I'm also considering making a wiring plug/adapter to make installation that much easier.

In the video it shows them putting the instrument cluster in; but they have the luxury of having the dash out of it; mounting mine will be all from the front.
THE ONE THING TO NEVER FORGET WHEN SWAPPING GAUGES OUT - DON'T BE IN A HURRY!
Don't have a big outing planned 3 hours after you start, thinking you'll have it done in time; dash work is a b**ch! lots of little pieces, and awkward working angle. So take your time, if you get frustrated, stop, walk away, cool off, and come back later (I think that's why I started smoking).
I did custom cars for a long time, and I know what it takes, most people have never touched a dash before. So the first thing you have to do is convincing yourself that you can do it. Then it's easy.

Top Bottom