• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Interesting Video About Tesla Motors

Rob Croson

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I realize that it's premature in the process and it's only a proposal for the upcoming federal budget, however one item posted is the elimination of the EV credit. No one has any idea of the impact on sales.
The EV credit is something of a red herring, as it is. You'd have to make a LOT of money and/or have very few deductions to take anywhere near the full credit. Based on my last tax return, I expect to be able to claim somewhere around half of the $7500 credit from buying my Bolt this year. If they drop the tax rate and double the standard exemption like was recently proposed, I expect that I will end up actually getting very little of the credit.

That doesn't stop the auto makers from trumpeting the $7,500 credit, or marketing the vehicle price less the full $7500, and then just small-printing the details. None of the EV sites help with this, either, by trumpeting the post-credit price, and then not explaining what the credit is, or how you probably won't get more than half of it anyway.

Donnyboy

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Thanks. It's good to know there isn't currently or never has been Federal subsidies provided to the gas and oil companies.

It's also good to know there isn't currently or never has been Federal subsides provided to the electric utilities (coal, natural gas, oil, wind, solar, geothermal) companies.

Tesla isn't losing money because of expensive electricity costs, they're losing money because it costs too much to produce their cars.

johnsnownw

Elio Addict
Reaction score
It's also good to know there isn't currently or never has been Federal subsides provided to the electric utilities (coal, natural gas, oil, wind, solar, geothermal) companies.

Tesla isn't losing money because of expensive electricity costs, they're losing money because it costs too much to produce their cars.

Actually, no. Tesla has close to the highest gross-margin in the industry, something like 28%. They're losing money because they're investing it back into the company, building an SC network, building the largest battery factory in the world.

Tesla could easily have made money by selling 40-50k vehicles a year...but they'are attempting to sell an order of magnitude more than that...which costs money.

RUCRAYZE

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Same for the window, water heater, roofing, insulation, appliance industries, charities, churches or small business using a home office (i.e. Elio Motors).
A Brief History of Big Tax Breaks for Oil Companies
There will be subsidies: Nine decades later, “perhaps the most glaring loophole” in the tax code is still going strong.

www.motherjones.com_wp_content_uploads_oil_derricks630x354.jpg_7b3ff2bcab67bee89fa39c17e964bb0a.jpg

Oil derricks and a "lake" of spilled crude in Santa Barbara, California, in 1935.Associated Press

Over the past century, the federal government has pumped more than $470 billioninto the oil and gas industry in the form of generous, never-expiring tax breaks.

The following are my comments- A brief search will clearly show how wrong the belief that there are no big oil/coal and farm subsidies, I read them on the net so I know it's true

Made in USA

Elio Addict
Reaction score
The Tesla semi certainly sounds good, but the fact that Elon did not take any questions at the reveal sends up red flags. What is he afraid of, questions that he doesn't want to answer? You would think he would want to talk about it. Strange behavior. He mentioned the mileage at 500 hauling 80,000 lbs, but how much of that is truck with battery and how much is payload? He also said how fast it would charge using megachargers. Again, no details. Some basic calculations show the semis to have about a 1 MW battery. The amount of current needed to charge these batteries is indeed "mega". It will be interesting to watch Tesla for the next few years.

johnsnownw

Elio Addict
Reaction score
The Tesla semi certainly sounds good, but the fact that Elon did not take any questions at the reveal sends up red flags. What is he afraid of, questions that he doesn't want to answer? You would think he would want to talk about it. Strange behavior. He mentioned the mileage at 500 hauling 80,000 lbs, but how much of that is truck with battery and how much is payload? He also said how fast it would charge using megachargers. Again, no details. Some basic calculations show the semis to have about a 1 MW battery. The amount of current needed to charge these batteries is indeed "mega". It will be interesting to watch Tesla for the next few years.

He doesn't take questions at reveals, typically. He worked closely with members of the trucking industry, and if you watched the beginning of the reveal Jerome thanked them for their pre-orders. One would assume they've been privy to that information. This was a public event and most in attendance weren't going to be buying a semi.

Top Bottom