• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Irony...i've Got An Example!

BilgeRat

Elio Addict
Reaction score
McDonnell Douglas found out they were a bad idea for that very same reason back in '92 and got rid of them completely.

And don't you just LOVE how you end up fighting major battles like this over again! We just had to re-fight the issue of getting 700 to 1000 gallons of lube oil delivered to the boat in bulk by truck. These nitwits wanted to go back to having it delivered in drums! Right. That's really "safe"; handling 14 to 18 drums weighing 450 lbs each, and taking a whole day to do it... :mad: :eek: :(

Elio Amazed

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I just got done working nine years for the world's largest retailer.
When an associate has a workplace accident, after the hospital gives them a drug test...
They force the associate to fill out a form and give an explanation of what they could have done to prevent the accident.

You'd be surprised at the greater percentage of associates that don't see the reasoning behind that and actually take blame.
From my second minor accident on, I wrote something like, "Company caused - I could not have prevented this accident/incident."
My bosses would pitch a fit and try to intimidate every time, but I stood my ground and there was nothing they could do.

They even do this for incident reports when there is no need for immediate medical attention.

What a world eh?

NSTG8R

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Basically what the safety culture amounts to, is a way to blame YOU for anything that goes wrong, and absolve themselves (mis)management) of liability. :mad:

Again, you nailed it on the head, BilgeRat! Don't even get me going on the "unsafe" safety shields they put on our bandsaws, sanders and shears...without ever getting input from the people that use them daily. :mad::frusty::mad::tsk:

Lil4X

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Ordinary safety glasses are so cheaply made that they produce sufficient distortion as to be dangerous. I learned that lesson many times trying to walk down a narrow three-story stairway while carrying a hundred pounds of gear. The steps below me seemed to be "swimming" in my vision thanks to that distortion - so I just attached a lanyard to the frame and yanked them off my face before stepping off. At least the substantial handrails will assure you arrive at the bottom of the stairs, wherever you manage to trip. Not saying in what condition you'll arrive, but at least people will know where to find the body.

One of my techs (a former roughneck himself) would always take the "shortcut" when we worked on the floor of a land drilling rig - many big rigs are equipped with an escape slide for emergency evacuation. It's kinda fun (if illegal) for departing the high floor, sliding down 60' to 75' of what amounts to a giant playground slide. Well, not so much if you put your big 40# toolbox on the slide between your legs. When it reaches the ground and digs in, you'll wish you'd opted for the steel-crotch underwear.

NSTG8R

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Ordinary safety glasses are so cheaply made that they produce sufficient distortion as to be dangerous. I learned that lesson many times trying to walk down a narrow three-story stairway while carrying a hundred pounds of gear. The steps below me seemed to be "swimming" in my vision thanks to that distortion - so I just attached a lanyard to the frame and yanked them off my face before stepping off. At least the substantial handrails will assure you arrive at the bottom of the stairs, wherever you manage to trip. Not saying in what condition you'll arrive, but at least people will know where to find the body.

One of my techs (a former roughneck himself) would always take the "shortcut" when we worked on the floor of a land drilling rig - many big rigs are equipped with an escape slide for emergency evacuation. It's kinda fun (if illegal) for departing the high floor, sliding down 60' to 75' of what amounts to a giant playground slide. Well, not so much if you put your big 40# toolbox on the slide between your legs. When it reaches the ground and digs in, you'll wish you'd opted for the steel-crotch underwear.

LOL!! The slide ride really paints an ugly picture! :eek: Sounds like a, "Hold my beer!" story. :D
Totally agree with the cheap safety glasses distortion and stairs being dangerous, gear or no gear.

BilgeRat

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I have another tale about oil in drums that's too long to type up on the phone, but NSTG8R, you're on it again. All the back and forth over that proposal that I later found that went on in a senior management meeting, the one thing that nobody either did or even suggested, was to pick up the effin' phone and actually ask the people who did the work, my relief and I.

ajetmech

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Again, you nailed it on the head, BilgeRat! Don't even get me going on the "unsafe" safety shields they put on our bandsaws, sanders and shears...without ever getting input from the people that use them daily. :mad::frusty::mad::tsk:

But why would they need to ask people who use the equipment daily. It obvious to the decision makers that we don't have a clue what we are doing. It much better to ask a bunch of so called safety experts who have been sitting in a conference room eating free food and drinking coffee to dream up safety shields, bump caps, etc. But remember they are just concerned for your safety, it has nothing to do with saving money on insurance. And yes, there is a lot of sarcasm flowing thru my fingers to the keyboard.

It amazes me some of these safety devices they put on some of the tooling that actually makes the tool harder to use and in reality, less safe to use.

NSTG8R

Elio Addict
Reaction score
But why would they need to ask people who use the equipment daily. It obvious to the decision makers that we don't have a clue what we are doing. It much better to ask a bunch of so called safety experts who have been sitting in a conference room eating free food and drinking coffee to dream up safety shields, bump caps, etc. But remember they are just concerned for your safety, it has nothing to do with saving money on insurance. And yes, there is a lot of sarcasm flowing thru my fingers to the keyboard.

It amazes me some of these safety devices they put on some of the tooling that actually makes the tool harder to use and in reality, less safe to use.

We're on the same page, brother!

Ty

Elio Addict
Reaction score

Well, on more than one occasion, a proper guard has saved me some pain... Have you seen this? Amazing!

Top Bottom